Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: I agree with Barry Murphy, Embarrasing if it happens

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:30 pm

16,000 not too bad - if you look back to Sept 2nd 1970 v Sheff Utd, the crowd was 21,455 Second division, after a similarly good start.

You could probably get in the ground for 40p - a ticket today should cost under a tenner. Upshot is, football is excluding fans by charging too much.

Take your kids , and your heading for the ton mark.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Stringfellow wrote:If you had told me a year ago that in 12 months time we will get 16,000 I would have laughed my head off, we were heading towards 10,000 if that. Massive progress and while I agree we should be getting 20,000 the floaters will return gradually not overnight. The city is on the up the team are the real deal, great manager and club done all they can. Complaining because others don't come is a bit strange, it's up to them. Personally I think nearly 18,000 on a tues night was fantastic despite people's ridiculous expectations.

Hull were getting 15 on a Tuesday when they were top, I expect the crowd to be about 18 on Saturday and out away support and interest is only growing and increasing.

Cardiff fans have always been fickle and that's without the other distractions these days, they will come in time. Enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

This ^^

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Lets get realistic here about attendances. I know us loyal supporters feel that 4 wins in and the support should be flooding back, but lets look at things in context. In our first season in the CCS in 2009 we averaged 20,700, so even then, with a brand new stadium and making the FA cup final the season before we only managed to average 20K. :o We finished 4th that year. The next year, we averaged 23000 and finished 4th again, that season I think we all thought was our year to get promoted, so the expectation was immense, of course it never happened!
Then, change of manager, a new dawn, huge investment from a new owner, result = a drop in crowds to averaging 22000 for the next two years! The re-brand had kicked in and we lost thousands, yet we won promotion and averaged 27000 in the Premiership
So in reality, we have never had big crowds over the last 8 years. With all things considered, we are about right with 16000-20000 crowds at the moment. In my opinion the rot has stopped and supporters are believing again in the club. I, like others think that we should be now getting 20000+ crowds, however, when you logically look at our average attendances in the past, then you realise that it will take time and consistent results to get there.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I for one don't think for one minute it will be as low as 16,000?.l'll be be there but if it is only 16,000 hey ho no problem parking.Ahh wait a minute I'm catching the train!!
In other words I'm not interested in the attendance!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Not surprised the crowd may be a bit lower than expected. It's a bank holiday weekend so lots of family stuff going on. I'm going to miss my first game for that reason. At least I don't have to put with the lousy parking situation.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm

skiprat wrote:If city don't get at least 20000 0n Saturday id say to tan sell any player at whatever price you can.it would demonstrate that even with being top of league champagne football big catchment area cheap tickets magnificent stadium that simply not enough people are interested in ccfc. Hats off to those that go but in our present position the club deserve more as a lot of other clubs are getting decent crowds.

That will get them rolling in :?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49 pm

rumpo kid wrote:16,000 not too bad - if you look back to Sept 2nd 1970 v Sheff Utd, the crowd was 21,455 Second division, after a similarly good start.

You could probably get in the ground for 40p - a ticket today should cost under a tenner. Upshot is, football is excluding fans by charging too much.

Take your kids , and your heading for the ton mark.

City's tickets are some of the cheapest in Efl. £40 approx for 2 adults 2 kids. £16-20 adult separate and kids a fiver. Don't buy that excuse matr

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 pm

There'll be about 19000 there Saturday. Whats the big deal? In the early 90's we were getting 2000 odd.
Truth is, if we had Man U there'd be 33000 there.
Our fans are so fickle...probably because we have so much more to do around Cardiff.
Personally i couldnt give a toss whether people attend or not. I'll be there. :thumbup:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:19 pm

We shoukd be getting 20k for saturday
Though,

Last season's average 16500

This season so far 21000

If we get 18000 saturday our average will be 20000

21% up on last season.

Early days but I'm sure the crowds will return.

Just trying to put a positive spin on the crowds.

The longer we stay in contention , the derby game against Bristol, Christmas games.

The average will soon be where it needs to be.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Lots of people i speak to over the years in work etc are liverpool. man u. arsenal etc.
They insist they are fans of these clubs dont support cardiff or cardiff are there less important club but claim to support city when they don't.
There are so many of these so called armchair fans in south wales its crazy.
Most have never been to old Trafford or Anfield other than on a stadium tour when the team aint even there.

To me its so annoying to talk to these fans why do they do it when city just down the road to me no sense in it.

I got one of these down to watch villa v city enjoyed it but got no emotion to cardiff hed rather watch man u on the tv .
Our problem is this to many fello welsh man in are area are arm chair plastic fans .
How can we changr it i don't think we can .

Even in the prem lots went just to see there liverpool was wrong but its true.
These are the stay away fans that should be city fans instead they support clubd hundreds of miles away

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 pm

There will be 18k minimum but personaly think it will be closer to 20k. Sales might be slow but its Wednesday afternoon, there realy is no rush for people to buy early these day, there is no way there will be only 16k, that means we would have dropped 2k since the Sheff Utd game which was mid-week, realy cant see ut

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

It would have been a lot better on Saturday if we had got a win last night against burton albion in the cup and we would have been undefeated in all competitions .that might have swelled the crowd a bit more and had we won and then got a big draw in the next round then i think the gate on Saturday would have increased more even with late ticket sales .i don't understand having ten changes this early in the season the more we win the more the crowd will come back and the more condifident the team will get.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm

The Burton game is not a factor at all! Most of us didn't care about the game so losing this would not stop u wanting to go sat? 20k plus would be nice think 19k depending on qpr! We are a club which is in recovery mode will take more time!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm

It's hard to make a prediction without knowing how many QPR are likely to bring

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 pm

We have 15~16K core fans and lets face it there have been many reasons to jack it in, but we haven't.

For one season we started with Ole, we still had some hope

For two seasons we started the season with Russell Slade and lost all hope, hope just wasn't disappearing to League 1

Last year we started with Trollope off the back of a Wales team giving us a summer to remember, but most fans knew in reality we were bidding time

This season we started with Neil Warnock buying a player from relegated Rotherham, releasing championship player of the decade in Whitts and getting a few free's in. Talk of the local boy returning faded.

We are top of the league after four games !!!!! That's not me shouting top of the league, but shouting four games, that all !!

We (core) have bought into Warnock and this season but we are fanatics and don't see the obvious. This could be a flash in the fan, another false dawn.
Dave Jones got us closer and closer, Malky got us to another cup final then we all knew Tan meant business, the momentum was building over six years or maybe from the last season at Ninian Park.

This season has been a bit sudden. Bang out of nowhere,top, but its early doors. A win on Saturday will get tongues talking 5/5 is some feat and we should get some publicity, nationally preferably as local news has been poor.

18K would be great for our current situation.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:HONEST QUESTION?

If We were in the Premier League say v Southampton, the Crowd would be 30,000, with NO excuses, so why NO excuse then?

Annis why do you think people need an excuse, fact is people don't want to go to the game, be it cost, school holidays, cost or having kids off, the fact people have seen us play qpr so often whatever it is if they don't want to pay then they won't.

No doubt if it was Southampton in the Premier then we would sell out but that's all about supply and demand.

We are not in the Premier and if the club wanted higher attendances they should have made a better effort to get more season ticket sales by offering better prices.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 pm

I haven't seen a City game for a few years but may make an appearance this weekend.
Not sure if I'm a plastic or not, used to love my football but have found alternative pastimes now, doubt I'll ever be a regular attendee again.
Don't really know when my interest waned but once you find other things to occupy your time it's difficult to get that enthusiasm back.
Looking forward to a City win Sat and an entertaining game.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 pm

My whole life always had loads to do family job kids etc. Never stopped me following city Home and away.i stopped for 2 and a half years when they were replaced by some red crap. They blues came back I came back.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:11 pm

It's hard for the spur of the moment fan. I made that mistake Villa game arrived 35 mins before kick off and had to stand in line for tickets mixed in with seaon ticket chaos. Then stood at gate 4 for ages only to then be told we could use gate 5. I had been refused this 15 mins before. Missed 6 minutes of game so not great and could turn some off.

Add to this I didn't buy in advance as wasn't sure who was going until the morning. Because of this no room in cheap area so had to pay a premium. This definatly would put some of returning. Just not a pleasant easy experience.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

If We were in the Premier League say v Southampton, the Crowd would be 30,000, with NO excuses, so why NO excuse then?

Annis why do you think people need an excuse, fact is people don't want to go to the game, be it cost, school holidays, cost or having kids off, the fact people have seen us play qpr so often whatever it is if they don't want to pay then they won't.

No doubt if it was Southampton in the Premier then we would sell out but that's all about supply and demand.

We are not in the Premier and if the club wanted higher attendances they should have made a better effort to get more season ticket sales by offering better prices.

Luke, For me its about watching Cardiff City, not who the opposition is :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Sven wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:Well he is correct and I can say that as I have just bought a ST for the first time since the rebrand

I feel like there's a medal coming hmmm

Ha ha

Karl :thumbright: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Seriously, good to see anyone committing to a season ticket but no medal for anyone who abandoned and is now coming back because we're building momentum again! To me, it just goes to show how many were insincere in their 'claims' of why they no longer attended originally

May not be convenient to remind some but but Vincent Tan is still here and the Blue returned some time ago! ;)

I think Karl was joking so have a word with yourself. I stopped the moment City went red and if I was insecure in my claims, as you say, I would have returned when the PL arrived.
I didn't as it wasn't for me and by the time City returned to blue I had lost my desire to attend. It's like a girlfriend who has cheated on you, you fall out of love with her but always forgive and try again.

This season I have that desire back and have bought a ST and hopefully I have come to terms with my insecurity that some people think that the fans had.

Anyway, hope that clears that up.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 am

I think there's been a bit of an overreaction here. We are definitely not a laughing stock of the world, don't get me wrong I've thought, and hoped we would get a bigger following home and away, but we've lost a lot of supporters with everything that's gone on. We are now on the up and it going to take some time as it's only 4 games into the season. I'm sure as the games go on supporters will increase if we are consistent, and I guarantee if we end on going up you will be lucky to get a ticket. I still think we will get close to 18+ 19k as there is still time to get a ticket.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:51 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:It's as much about being welcoming too.There was a time when new supporters were just called glory seeking plastics on here.

spot on, calling new fans glory hunters etc is pathetic. How the floopy do they think the big clubs grew? without their 'plastics' they wouldnt be where they and continually growing. Its like regular shoppers at Lidl saying where were you 3 years ago? sat at home eating ASDA grub I suppose!! but without these new customers at Lidl they wouldnt be able to keep their prices low. There is no such thing as a plastic anyway, we have all started watching CCFC at some stage, mine was supporting Ipswich at Cardiff in FA Cup game in 78 (we went on to win the cup that year) as a XMAS present. I got the bug of 'live' football and here I am :banghead: :laughing5:

PS - Wales had 25000 plastics in France last year on that basis, so that makes me a plastic :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 am

Spot on. For many, the attraction is the opposition. This Saturday's attendance will be, I believe, lower because its QPR rather than if it had been Leeds, for example.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:21 am

2blue2handle wrote:

agree except the last point. not sure how anyone can say the season ticket pricing wasnt reasonable.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:26 am

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

agree except the last point. not sure how anyone can say the season ticket pricing wasnt reasonable.

Paul, I totally agree and it can hardly be used as an excuse. Full-price season tickets are £13 per game for the Lower Ninian Stand and the majority of those using that as an excuse (there are always exceptions, of course) is pretty lame tbh :(

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 am

Sven wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Paul, I totally agree and it can hardly be used as an excuse. Full-price season tickets are £13 per game for the Lower Ninian Stand and the majority of those using that as an excuse (there are always exceptions, of course) is pretty lame tbh :(

Newport county season ticket is more and they are league 2 like you said 13 pound a game is nothing not even 2 packs of fags

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Sven wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I'm not saying they are not reasonable what I am saying is I don't think they have been priced correctly for their target audience and the amount of season tickets sold in my opinion shows that. A lot of people have stopped buying season tickets and these people need tempting back, they need to almost need to see the price and think 'Yeah that's a good deal'. Unless your a student or in the family stand then I don't think those price do it.

I don't get this whole logic of people make excuses, they either want to pay the cost and go or not and people are choosing not to pay and not to go to games. if they have an excuse or not makes little difference, the club need to do more to get people in. The obvious way to get them back is pricing, the fact other clubs do this or that or if lower league prices are comparable doesn't make any difference at all. The club need to target the fans they have lost and know the target audience and they are quite clearly failing.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:06 pm

but your assuming the price is the major reason that people are staying away.

i dont believe thats the case considering the tickets are at good prices. if someone doesnt think 350 is a good price for a season ticket at this level i honestly believe they dont really know the value in it.

selling dirt cheap season tickets isnt the way to do it.

i dont think we have that many "stay aways" either for it be something the club need to consider.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:17 pm

If it's not price then I don't know what it is.

£350 maybe reasonable but to get people back you need more than reasonable. For most people £350 is still a considerable chunk and they will probably find something else to do with that money be it family, holiday, Wales games etc