Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I agree with Barry Murphy, Embarrasing if it happens

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 am

Barry Murphy‏ just tweeted

Current crowd estimate for QPR game saturday only around 16,000. Embarassing in my opinion. No excuses to stay away #CCFC

I agree with Barry, the crowd should never be this low if thats what turns up only 16,000, Top of the Championship, good priced tickets,undefeated,many other clubs getting 20,000 plus crowds,its a Saturday, pay on the day,3pm, not on tv, we have a pulling area bigger than most clubs etc etc

The excuses have to stop, We either want a successful side or we are content to stay in the lower divisions, its easy to support a club once in the Premier League or are they there just to watch the opposition.

If you want the club to spend in January back them now :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Personally, I honestly will be gobsmacked if its that low, I expect at least 20,000 plus, very very disaheartening to Neil warnock who has consistently called on Cardiff fans to get down their and Support the Mighty Bluebirds.

I can't wait :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

AND YES THE CROWD DOES MATTER/THATS HOW YOU BECOME A BIG CLUB AND GO PLACES :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: I agree with Barry Murphy, Embarrasing if it happens

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:45 am

Well he is correct and I can say that as I have just bought a ST for the first time since the rebrand

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:48 am

Vince Alm:

"Crowd looking a bit embarrassing for Saturday! ticket sales are slow, top of the league 4 straight wins playing some good stuff I really thought fans will be knocking down the door! "

"Yet all I see on facebook is everyone talking about that Pantomime over hyped clash, of one ex world class boxer V a non boxer joke. We will be the laughing stock of the football league. Far more entertaining than a WWE type staged boxing bout. Come on get down support the boys they have earned it!!!!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am

Charlie Harper wrote:Well he is correct and I can say that as I have just bought a ST for the first time since the rebrand

Good on you :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:Well he is correct and I can say that as I have just bought a ST for the first time since the rebrand

Cheers :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 am

That is bad looks like its going to take some time to get the fans back. We used to have 3/4 cars coming down from Worcestershire in the Dave Jones days don't think any of us go regularly anymore.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Cheers :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Barry Murphy‏ just tweeted

Current crowd estimate for QPR game saturday only around 16,000. Embarassing in my opinion. No excuses to stay away #CCFC

I agree with Barry, the crowd should never be this low if thats what turns up only 16,000, Top of the Championship, good priced tickets,undefeated,many other clubs getting 20,000 plus crowds,its a Saturday, pay on the day,3pm, not on tv, we have a pulling area bigger than most clubs etc etc

The excuses have to stop, We either want a successful side or we are content to stay in the lower divisions, its easy to support a club once in the Premier League or are they there just to watch the opposition.

If you want the club to spend in January back them now :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Personally, I honestly will be gobsmacked if its that low, I expect at least 20,000 plus, very very disaheartening to Neil warnock who has consistently called on Cardiff fans to get down their and Support the Mighty Bluebirds.

AND YES THE CROWD DOES MATTER/THATS HOW YOU BECOME A BIG CLUB AND GO PLACES :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Bank holiday weekend tho annis could be a factor

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm

I rather have 16000 getting behind the team than 24000 and the extra 8000 getting on the teams back if it's not going our way after 20mins

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm off to reading festival this weekend, but given my season ticket to a mate. lots going this weekend, so alot could be off with their families etc.
Last edited by rustyblue on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Pencoed wrote:I rather have 16000 getting behind the team than 24000 and the extra 8000 getting on the teams back if it's not going our way after 20mins

Agree I can't see the obsession with the crowd numbers would be nice to have bigger crowds but look how far we've come in the last 20 years

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Vince Alm:

"Crowd looking a bit embarrassing for Saturday! ticket sales are slow, top of the league 4 straight wins playing some good stuff I really thought fans will be knocking down the door! "

"Yet all I see on facebook is everyone talking about that Pantomime over hyped clash, of one ex world class boxer V a non boxer joke. We will be the laughing stock of the football league. Far more entertaining than a WWE type staged boxing bout. Come on get down support the boys they have earned it!!!!

I go to every Cardiff game, but you cant really call McGregor a non boxer joke. The guy is one of the biggest draws in the world, and one of the most charismatic, and best fighters in the UFC. I and most of the world are gonna watch it. But I will still be at the city game. And I don't get why people get so obsessed on this forum about who does or doesn't show up, at the end of the day its their choice and I don't think people are making excuses for not going, they have probably just found other things to do now.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Your preaching to the converted 90% of this message board are probably going .
Its the ex supporters we need to come back.
Unfortunately they will need a lot more persuading,if we are in the top 6 and looking good in the Autumn then they will gradually start coming back.
Its always a successful side that gets the fans.
That's why there's so many Manure and bin dipper fans about, in South Wales ( Sky armchair supporters)

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Pencoed wrote:I rather have 16000 getting behind the team than 24000 and the extra 8000 getting on the teams back if it's not going our way after 20mins

Agree I can't see the obsession with the crowd numbers would be nice to have bigger crowds but look how far we've come in the last 20 years

My opinion is that it's disappointing but Bank Holiday may be a factor. However, if we continue to make progress I'm sure these crowd figures will improve. It's always been the same with City over many years. If we're in the top 3 by mid October the 25k crowds will be there.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Wez, That usually gives you a bigger crowd as many fans come back to their parents for the weekend who live away.
I just read on Vince Alms, post u say yr fed up of every excuse then post this, you back Vince on it though.

It won't affect other clubs crowds, City deserve minimum 20,000 :thumbright: :thumbright:

I've got No family to come back to but I am flying back to watch City and then flying back to my family on Saturday night.
See you Sat Wez :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:18 pm

It's a shame we can't get supporter clubs to incorporate the football and boxing really- I want to watch the boxing but football first! Can't wait I love it!!

Although I have to say it's easy to spot a plastic fan IMO- the difference is the die hard season ticket holder or majority game goer seem genuinely proud where as the plastic seems more smug if that makes sense??

I hope we get a strong crowd I think it helped the team getting the backing they have got recently, I have the problem with away games - I just can't seem to muster up interest to go with my mates- and I dont know anyone who goes regularly

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm

16000 would be massively disappointed but if people don't want to go then they don't want to go.

I think it just shows that despite everyone raving about the season ticket prices that they did infact get them wrong. We should be hoping to get around 16000 season ticket sales and if prices were cheaper for the standard adult (ie not a student or family ticket) then I think that would have been achievable.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm

once again i will be there with my son :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Lot's of people get paid Friday, so expect a big increase then. How many season tickets did we sell, looks about the same around me?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm

The eternal optimist wrote:Lot's of people get paid Friday, so expect a big increase then. How many season tickets did we sell, looks about the same around me?

Sold about the same as last season approx 11,500, still for sale.

We sold 12,500 by the end of last season.

Club expected sales of 16,000-18,000.

Most clubs increased their sales.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:It's a shame we can't get supporter clubs to incorporate the football and boxing really- I want to watch the boxing but football first! Can't wait I love it!!

Although I have to say it's easy to spot a plastic fan IMO- the difference is the die hard season ticket holder or majority game goer seem genuinely proud where as the plastic seems more smug if that makes sense??

I hope we get a strong crowd I think it helped the team getting the backing they have got recently, I have the problem with away games - I just can't seem to muster up interest to go with my mates- and I dont know anyone who goes regularly

That's the problem I had. Got sick of driving down from Worcestershire on my jack.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm

If city don't get at least 20000 0n Saturday id say to tan sell any player at whatever price you can.it would demonstrate that even with being top of league champagne football big catchment area cheap tickets magnificent stadium that simply not enough people are interested in ccfc. Hats off to those that go but in our present position the club deserve more as a lot of other clubs are getting decent crowds.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:It's a shame we can't get supporter clubs to incorporate the football and boxing really- I want to watch the boxing but football first! Can't wait I love it!!

not sure why the boxing is being mentioned, its on about 12 hours after the football

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 pm

It's as much about being welcoming too.There was a time when new supporters were just called glory seeking plastics on here.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez, That usually gives you a bigger crowd as many fans come back to their parents for the weekend who live away.
I just read on Vince Alms, post u say yr fed up of every excuse then post this, you back Vince on it though.

It won't affect other clubs crowds, City deserve minimum 20,000 :thumbright: :thumbright:

I've got No family to come back to but I am flying back to watch City and then flying back to my family on Saturday night.
See you Sat Wez :thumbright: :bluebird:

The rebrand isnt an excuse any more and we should have bigger crowds but we don't,people lives and priorities change,people move away like you have done ,i bet the crowds increase the longer we stay around the top of the league ,cardiff fans are a fickle bunch

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Would be really disappointed if we did not get at least 20,000 against QPR! I was due to be going away Friday but have cancelled and now going away after the game Saturday.

I would like to think that there'll be a huge walk up crowd as anything below 20k is embarrassing considering the start we've had to the season.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Vince Alm:

I go to every Cardiff game, but you cant really call McGregor a non boxer joke. The guy is one of the biggest draws in the world, and one of the most charismatic, and best fighters in the UFC. I and most of the world are gonna watch it. But I will still be at the city game. And I don't get why people get so obsessed on this forum about who does or doesn't show up, at the end of the day its their choice and I don't think people are making excuses for not going, they have probably just found other things to do now.

The boxing clash has drawn interest from around the world, and will attract millions of viewers. If Cardiff V QPR was pay to view, I doubt that would be considered a world event, and would appeal to only to a very small audience. Strange comparison to make. We are a small to medium sized Welsh club, and the hardcore fans plus a few extra because of our start will be there. If we are still around the top closer to xmas, more people will turn up, but these are the same people who will quickly vanish if we don't stay up there. I have said plenty of times on this forum that we have 10 to 12k fans who will stick with the club whatever, and if we appear to be genuine promotion contenders you can add an extra 10k floating fans to this figure. If we get to the top flight you can probably add another 10k again on to this figure, but they won't all be coming to the CCS to watch Cardiff in particular. I'm afraid this is just a true reflection on the size of this football club.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Mikey27 wrote:Would be really disappointed if we did not get at least 20,000 against QPR! I was due to be going away Friday but have cancelled and now going away after the game Saturday.

I would like to think that there'll be a huge walk up crowd as anything below 20k is embarrassing considering the start we've had to the season.

Until Saturday we won't kbow but you could be right about the walk up crowd

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 pm

16k is what we averaged last season as a mid table team. There should be at least 20k there Saturday.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:59 pm

nojac wrote:Your preaching to the converted 90% of this message board are probably going .
Its the ex supporters we need to come back.
Unfortunately they will need a lot more persuading,if we are in the top 6 and looking good in the Autumn then they will gradually start coming back.
Its always a successful side that gets the fans.
That's why there's so many Manure and bin dipper fans about, in South Wales ( Sky armchair supporters)

I'm amazed how many fans we lost in the 30's and 40's.....loyal fans who used to go whatever have now found other things to do it seems, it might take a bit more than a very good manager and 4 wins to get them back. It's life folks