Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' BRUNO MANGA? ? '

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

What role will Bruno Ecuele-Manga play for Cardiff City this season – and can Warnock keep him happy?

By Rhys Rourke

Wednesday 23rd August 2017

Bruno Ecuele-Manga’s game time is likely to be limited this season with the centre back pairing of Sol Bamba and Sean Morrison established as first choice.

The much-loved defender might not be 100% happy with this situation but he could still prove a key option this season.

Manga has started just two of Cardiff’s four league games in their stunning start to the season. He has appeared as a substitute in another but there is little doubt that Bamba and Morrison are firmly set as the duo favoured by boss Neil Warnock.

Across the summer there was talk of Manga leaving the club, with Warnock seemingly resigned to such a fate. Nevertheless, the Gabon international signed a new deal with City and is still plying his trade with the club.

Nevertheless, the Gabon international signed a new deal with City and is still plying his trade with the club.

The 2015 club player of the year made 21 league appearances last season in a campaign disrupted by both the Africa Cup of Nations and injury. In contrast, Morrison chalked up 44 league games with Bamba notching 26 despite only arriving in October 2016.

In contrast, defensive team-mate Sean Morrison chalked up 44 league games with Bamba notching 26 despite only arriving in October 2016.

The likelihood is that Manga, along with Matt Connolly, will form part of a reserve contingent that will deputise for either Bamba or club captain Morrison in the event of injuries or a loss of form.

With Warnock stating his intention to make a decent fist of the League Cup this year, the same can be assumed for the FA Cup.

Cardiff’s League Cup ambitious proved short-lived following defeat to Burton and while Manga struggled against the Brewers, he is likely to feature regularly in the FA Cup later this season.

Manga’s minutes could also be restricted by the versatility of Greg Halford; his ability to cover a range of positions in both defence and midfield could see him occupy a substitute spot in lieu of Manga at times.

Though, Manga was sent on in the dying minutes of the Wolves win to sit in front of the back four as an extra defender, and it’s something which could be used again against stronger sides.

Having only signed a new contract in June, it is possible that Manga may be concerned about his potential lack of appearances in the future. However, the allure of a real push towards the Premier League may have influenced his decision to stay.

However, the allure of a real push towards the Premier League may have influenced his decision to stay.

If Manga chooses to stay for the duration of his two-year contract, he could even end up being first choice again for the Bluebirds – football is an ever-changing game and even under Neil Warnock, no one is guaranteed a spot.

Manga, who has 67 international caps, does deserve some credit for taking a reported pay cut to continue his career with City and there’s little doubt that he remains a great talent on City’s books.

Also deserving of praise is manager Warnock. His astute ability at player retention is proven and has recently manifested once again through the conclusion of the Joe Bennett saga as well as the case of Kenneth Zohore.

Bruno Ecuele-Manga is a player of undoubted quality and while he’ll be disappointed to be missing out, he will also understand that he has to up his performance to match what Bamba and Morrison are currently providing.

Having said that, a player of his ability will never be too far away from the starting lineup and injury or a loss of form to one of those first choice players and Manga could easily become one of Neil Warnock’s main men.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' BRUNO MANGA? ? '

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm a Manga fan (wanted him to stay in the summer) but after watching him last night, I'm not sure he will be an automatic pick this season. But (and this is the good thing) City now have him on a contract and he'll be worth something IF there was to be a parting of the ways! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Don't rate Manga myself. He doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough and trys to do silly turns that puts us under pressure.

Morrison and Bamba are the best centre backs we have. We should've cashed in on Manga and bought a centre mid.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Sven wrote:I'm a Manga fan (wanted him to stay in the summer) but after watching him last night, I'm not sure he will be an automatic pick this season. But (and this is the good thing) City now have him on a contract and he'll be worth something IF there was to be a parting of the ways! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

I agree Chris. I also wanted him to stay.
The guy is a pure footballer and I'd rather see him keep possession with the odd feint and trick than hoof it up the channels and lose the ball a là Turner etc. I'd have no worries if he came in for Morrison or Bamba due to injuries or suspensions.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:12 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Sven wrote:I'm a Manga fan (wanted him to stay in the summer) but after watching him last night, I'm not sure he will be an automatic pick this season. But (and this is the good thing) City now have him on a contract and he'll be worth something IF there was to be a parting of the ways! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

The guy is a pure footballer and I'd rather see him keep possession with the odd feint and trick than hoof it up the channels and lose the ball a là Turner etc. I'd have no worries if he came in for Morrison or Bamba due to injuries or suspensions.

Paul, like you, I rate the guy and probably shouldn't let last night cloud my judgement. Alongside Morrison and Bamba (and some decent full backs) we probably have the strongest defence in the Championship! :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Sven wrote:

Paul, like you, I rate the guy and probably shouldn't let last night cloud my judgement. Alongside Morrison and Bamba (and some decent full backs) we probably have the strongest defence in the Championship! :ayatollah:

We're very lucky to have a player of his undoubted quality as back up/ on the bench. He could easily be a first choice as the season progresses and I see a similar situation with the full backs

Last night's game was an unusual circumstance whereby he had to look out for a rookie full back and a rusty player making his first appearance after an injury lay off without getting the same protection he'd expect from a Gunnarsson/Ralls axis in midfield.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

I could not agree more. I believe that he is a good partner for either Morrison or Bamba. I am sure that he will play a big part in our season.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:59 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Don't rate Manga myself. He doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough and trys to do silly turns that puts us under pressure.

Morrison and Bamba are the best centre backs we have. We should've cashed in on Manga and bought a centre mid.

How exactly were we supposed to 'cash in' on a player whose contract had expired?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Don't rate Manga myself. He doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough and trys to do silly turns that puts us under pressure.

How exactly were we supposed to 'cash in' on a player whose contract had expired?

Uh because he's signed a new one? :banghead:
Could've been a great bit of business.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 pm

I wanted Manga to stay too and we are lucky to have him.
I also would have no problems with Manga filling in for Morrison or Bamba but I believe there is a bigger picture here.
He has played RB this season so we all know he can cover that position but should anything happen to Ralls or Gunner then he would also be able to fill those positions in my opinion.
I'm guessing though that if either Ralls or Gunnar were injured then Bamba would take up that role and Manga would slot in.
Again... I would have no problem with this scenario such is the versatility and footballing brain of Big Bruno.
We are Very lucky to have such a fine footballer.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:

But that is not what you meant is it, otherwise you would not have used the past tense suggesting that the opportunity had gone. According to your reckoning we could still do that. Not a great plan in my humble opinion, but you sound like a bit of a wheeler dealer in the transfer market so I bow to you superior knowledge. .

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:

But that is not what you meant is it, otherwise you would not have used the past tense suggesting that the opportunity had gone. According to your reckoning we could still do that. Not a great plan in my humble opinion, but you sound like a bit of a wheeler dealer in the transfer market so I bow to you superior knowledge. .

With you on this one; he backtracked and couldn't/wouldn't admit it! :roll:

Always best to stand up and admit you got it wrong or misread when it happens! :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 pm

You need 3 good centre backs, he will get plenty of chances with injuries and suspensions and lose of form etc.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Shocked he is still here with all the talk of him going - back last Jan . Shows there is respect on both sides :bluebird:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 pm

For me he doesn't get a look in, Morrison and bamba have been rock solid and immense,

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 am

Sven wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:

Always best to stand up and admit you got it wrong or misread when it happens! :ayatollah:

Thanks for the life lesson gents. You've done me on this one.... :clap: :D

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 am

Sven wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:

Thanks for the life lesson gents. You've done me on this one.... :clap: :D

You're welcome, fella. Glad you've not taken it seriously :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:06 pm

I don't get the hype over Manga. Bamba & Morrison everyday of the week for me.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:46 pm

I rate Bruno very highly. He would walk into most championship defences ( and a few in the prem) imo. We will have a time in the season no doubt when we might pick up injuries and/or suspensions at centre back and we will be very relieved to have him.
I for one was chuffed when he re-signed for use.

Do the :ayatollah: Bruno!!!!