Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Has Joe Ledley been ill advised? "

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:55 am

" Has Joe Ledley been ill advised? '

No club, didn't get on the pitch for Wales, what's his future? Personally can't see anyone coming in for him now.

He's moved his family back to Cardiff and trys to demand high wages (allegedly)if Cardiff felt his demands were too high is any other club seriously Going to consider him.

Will he feature on the pitch again for Wales? I don't see that happening either.

Has he done this himself or is it another agent poorly advising a player.

Re: " Has Joe Ledley been ill advised? "

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:17 am

could have been a legend here
could have done much better than Celtic with a bit of patience.
could have played for his country last night..and tbh could have cost us dearly like i believe he cost our club.
sooner the better he is 34 and retired.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:31 am

Probably an agent , £5k is the maximum any one will pay for him, in the championship ,(but I doubt any of them want him) and a lot less the further down the football pyramid he goes.
A pity really because as a sub to close games down, he would do OK.
With Bryson coming in we don't need him.
If he wasn't Welsh and an ex player, he wouldn't even be mentioned.
Like he's probably not mentioned by the other 23 championship clubs.
I'm sure he could do a job for Newport ?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 am

I find this very strange, obviously he was in no panic to find a club. But surely you would want to find a club closer to pre season, 5 games of the season already gone. He shouldn't of been selected for Wales, hasn't played in months, you wouldn't find England calling up a player without a club and not playing in months.

Badly advised like you say

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 am

He's old enough and experienced enough to make his own decisions. Perhaps he thinks he's better than he actually is. Looks to me as if he only has himself to blame.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Junior Holliett and Sol Bamba were in the same position this time last year and things eventually worked out for them, although the counter argument is it didn't for Kieran Richardson and Marouane Chamakh.

Joe Ledley will have options of playing in America or China for very good money but if his goal was to return to Cardiff then obviously he has been badly advised.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Can't he think for himself? :?

I believe he has been poorly advised all along but it was his choice to listen and (in his case) the £ signs appear to have been more important than real footballing ambition

All we hear is "Joe wants...Joe wants" but the reality is that now it's a case of "Joe has to accept..."

I don't doubt his talent as a footballer. He was good for City in his time here (certainly not 'super' as someone else said) but he made a choice to walk away on an engineered 'free' and it rankled with a lot of fans at a very bad time for the club financially!

He has grossly mis-calculated his 'worth' to other clubs since leaving Crystal Palace and what annoys me most is that the ONLY reason Joe would come back is because it suits him (or maybe more so his family who have a lovely new home in Penarth) and not because of his 'love' for Cardiff City FC

Let no one be in any doubt that Joe Ledley (and I fully understand why) was looking for a final big pay day and had the 'right' offer come along, he would have been off again. Maybe not to the USA or China; but somewhere the money was deemed 'right' for his self-perceived worth and that is not a basis IMHO to roll out the proverbial Red Carpet at the CCS! :(

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:23 pm

I don't know if Joe has been ill advised or not but what I do know is that both he, and his agent, engineered a "Free" move away from our club because it suited him. In the process of walking away he didn't even bother to look back, Why? because it was ALL about money for him and his agent.

As I see it JL has only decided to look back when it suits him and, in my opinion, nostalgia is not a good reason for signing a player whatever the cost. JL did well for us and in his last appearance for the club I thought he gave everything he had in that playoff defeat against Blackpool and earlier in the summer I really wanted the club to sign him if they could, but having watched the way our team has set up this season and the intensity with which the team is playing, well it's a no thanks from me.

Where ever Joe ends up, even if it's the MLS or Super League, I very much doubt he will earn anywhere near what he could in the Championship. Forget the reported salaries on offer to TOP PLAYERS as the average salary to players in both the MLS £235K and £580k in the Chinese Super League. JL has never been a TOP player just average so for me there are no last big pay days abroad open to him.

Joe is 31 in January and that is, in my opinion, a bad age to be lacking interest from clubs for his services. As in life for many people it hurts when reality bites.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Guys an idiot. He's not Guna get any better offers than us right now he's mucked his career up chasing coin.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm

castleblue wrote:I don't know if Joe has been ill advised or not but what I do know is that both he, and his agent, engineered a "Free" move away from our club because it suited him. In the process of walking away he didn't even bother to look back, Why? because it was ALL about money for him and his agent.

As I see it JL has only decided to look back when it suits him and, in my opinion, nostalgia is not a good reason for signing a player whatever the cost. JL did well for us and in his last appearance for the club I thought he gave everything he had in that playoff defeat against Blackpool and earlier in the summer I really wanted the club to sign him if they could, but having watched the way our team has set up this season and the intensity with which the team is playing, well it's a no thanks from me.

Where ever Joe ends up, even if it's the MLS or Super League, I very much doubt he will earn anywhere near what he could in the Championship. Forget the reported salaries on offer to TOP PLAYERS as the average salary to players in both the MLS £235K and £580k in the Chinese Super League. JL has never been a TOP player just average so for me there are no last big pay days abroad open to him.

Joe is 31 in January and that is, in my opinion, a bad age to be lacking interest from clubs for his services. As in life for many people it hurts when reality bites.

Pretty much bang on the money (so to speak), Gary! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Sven wrote:
castleblue wrote:I don't know if Joe has been ill advised or not but what I do know is that both he, and his agent, engineered a "Free" move away from our club because it suited him. In the process of walking away he didn't even bother to look back, Why? because it was ALL about money for him and his agent.

yes good post....and its a no from me also.
as someone said on another thread if he wants to come back..he can buy a ticket.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Moved back to Cardiff? Needs a club? Willing to take a pay cut? Wants regular football at 34??

One word....County

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 pm

castell-neath wrote:Moved back to Cardiff? Needs a club? Willing to take a pay cut? Wants regular football at 34??

One word....County

34? :?

With respect to Joe, he is 30 (31 inJanuary) and it's not about his age, as I don't recall a 3 or 4 year contract being discussed in recent days...

Maybe you do? :?:

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Vancouver Whitecaps

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 am

Sven wrote:

Can't agree there Sven. Read Castle's post properly without automatically saying it's 'bang on'

Ledley ran his contract down which he had every right to do. Why is that 'engineering a move' rather than just honouring what he signed up to do? All so it completely ignores the fact City could have cashed in on Ledley by accepting the £6m bid from Stoke a couple of seasons before. The fact we didn't wasn't Ledley's fault and from his perspective he wasn't going to allow that to happen again by signing a new contract, that is perfectly understandable.

Also the figures for what he can earn in the MLS and China are a bit dubious. They might be the 'average' wage but that would include local players who are on very low salaries. I would like to see the average wage of foreign imports which would be very much higher in both leagues.

The only thing I can agree on is Ledley shouldn't be a target for CCFC as we already have better players on lower wages.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 pm

We have no place for him now.

He has had no preseason although from the pictures on the FAW instagram page although he hasn't let himself go he still wont be match fit for sometime I would think. Will be interesting to see where he ends up and how he does.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Sven wrote:

Can't agree there Sven. Read Castle's post properly without automatically saying it's 'bang on'

Ledley ran his contract down which he had every right to do. Why is that 'engineering a move' rather than just honouring what he signed up to do? All so it completely ignores the fact City could have cashed in on Ledley by accepting the £6m bid from Stoke a couple of seasons before. The fact we didn't wasn't Ledley's fault and from his perspective he wasn't going to allow that to happen again by signing a new contract, that is perfectly understandable.

Also the figures for what he can earn in the MLS and China are a bit dubious. They might be the 'average' wage but that would include local players who are on very low salaries. I would like to see the average wage of foreign imports which would be very much higher in both leagues.

The only thing I can agree on is Ledley shouldn't be a target for CCFC as we already have better players on lower wages.

Tony the figures for the MLS & China are accurate even though there are players, certainly in the MLS, who earn far in excess of the £235k I quoted but they are "Designated Players" within the each teams playing squad. Kaka is currently the highest paid "Designated Player" in the MLS earning over $7m and the salaries of the Top 20 Designated players accounts for over 50% of the entire player salary bill of the clubs within the MLS.

Below that there is a maximum salary for non designated players within each team and that is $484k which at todays exchange rate is about £7k per week. The average salary of a player in the EFL Championship is over £12k per week.

You are of course right that there are lower paid players within each team, but again these are subject to a minimum wage based on their place on the team roster i.e. a reserve player in position 25-30 in the team roster earn a MINIMUM of $55k per annum. Age is also a factor with "Senior Players" in position 21-24 on the team roster who have a maximum salary of around $70k. Shaun Wright-Phillips is a senior player who now earns less in a year than he did in a week during his last season in the PL. His brother Bradley earns approximately 4 times that but even that amounts to less than £5k per week.

Rob Earnshaw in his very best season, salary wise, during his time in the MLS earned $204k approx £3k per week. I would put JL in the same box as Earnie.

The question is do you think JL is a player who would be considered a "Designated". If the answer is no then there is no BIG pay day available in the MLS.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Sven wrote:

Tony I will try to explain why I believe JL "Engineered" a move away from Cardiff City. In September 2009 the club offered Joe a new 4 year contract and despite repeated requests from the club for an answer he declined to give the club a simple yes or no. By the end of the year PR went public saying that he thought "Joe was already somewhere else in his mind", in itself that statement was a terrible piece of management and hardly likely to send a positive message to either JL or his agent.

In response it was leaked by "Someone" that Joe was in fact playing through the pain barrier because of a hip problem and as a result DJ had to confirm that Joe would in fact need surgery on his hip "Before" the end of the season. Within a month the club had no option other than to arrange the surgery and Joe was out for over 8 weeks. With his contract running out a brilliant result for Joe as this would ensure his fitness if and when he needed a medical at any new club during the coming summer.

But more than anything else it was the date he actually signed for Celtic which convinces me he did "Engineer" this move, the date was 12th July. The previous night the WC in South Africa ended and with that match the season effectively ended as well.

With the season over he was free to sign for Celtic with no risk of our club being able to claim "Training Compensation". In my opinion the date of signing with Celtic was absolutely no coincidence and that's why I believe he walked away without looking back.

Yes the club could have accepted the £6m bid from Stoke City just the same as the £5m from West Ham and £4m from Wigan in January 2009 which when you apply hindsight were poor decisions and cost our club. But in my opinion none of that justifies the manner in which he eventually left.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:46 am

seems like we like players with bad hips looking to move :D

No from me.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 am

See if Celtic want you know traitor.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 am

He will go abroad where they have a different season, somewhere like the MLS, Maybe one of the bigger scandanavian sides, Rosenborg or someone like that where he can get a full pre season in, that would be what's best for him at this stage.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 pm

his plan to retire from club football to concentrate on international football seems to have failed.

interesting to see what his plan B is.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 pm

dogfound wrote:his plan to retire from club football to concentrate on international football seems to have failed.

All mickey-taking aside, I hope Joe sorts himself out soon, as he must now be close to losing his Wales place and a (potential) trip to Russia next summer :(

I might not like the way Joe went about his business and not want him back at our specific club but I don't wish him to lose out on the second chance of a lifetime with the national side he has actually served with dignity...

Go get yourself sorted out with a club and play football Joe; before it's too late! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:his plan to retire from club football to concentrate on international football seems to have failed.

All mickey-taking aside, I hope Joe sorts himself out soon, as he must now be close to losing his Wales place and a (potential) trip to Russia next summer :(

I might not like the way Joe went about his business and not want him back at our specific club but I don't wish him to lose out on the second chance of a lifetime with the national side he has actually served with dignity...

Go get yourself sorted out with a club and play football Joe; before it's too late! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

the post was tongue in cheek.
having said that i was not happy how he left our club...
and even less happy that he hadnt found a club this summer knowing those 2 games were coming up..lucky for us we won both but no thanks to Joe.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:12 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:

the post was tongue in cheek.
having said that i was not happy how he left our club...
and even less happy that he hadnt found a club this summer knowing those 2 games were coming up..lucky for us we won both but no thanks to Joe.

I realised that and you're right :thumbup:

Thankfully, I'm not a big international football fan but I feel he's let himself and Wales down whether it be through greed or a simple lack of real options. Interesting times ahead for him between now and the October internationals and he surely needs to get back playing somewhere soon to even remain in the squad? ;) :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 pm

He is still a Free agent - Plenty of time to find a club - watch this space ;)

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:He is still a Free agent - Plenty of time to find a club - watch this space ;)

yes plenty of time for him...Wales though have another 2 crucial games nxt month.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 pm

dogfound wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:He is still a Free agent - Plenty of time to find a club - watch this space ;)

yes plenty of time for him...Wales though have another 2 crucial games nxt month.

Do they - well plenty of other players to choose from - AH doggy boy ???? - EGGS IN 1 BASKET - DOG ??? :o

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Do they - well plenty of other players to choose from - AH doggy boy ???? - EGGS IN 1 BASKET - DOG ??? :o[/quote

some top points once again...

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 pm

dogfound wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Do they - well plenty of other players to choose from - AH doggy boy ???? - EGGS IN 1 BASKET - DOG ??? :o[/quote

some top points once again...

What does it matter if he does not find another club in the next 6 weeks ??? To WALES NEXT GAME ???

Do We not have enough good players to beat GEORGIA - LETS THINK HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THIS GAME ;)

Squad not good enough for you :?: