Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYER STATS MAKE GOOD READING FOR CITY

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:02 am

Sky Bet Championship best stats XI of the season so far
By Martin Laurence

Wednesday 6th September 2017

With five games played already, the Sky Bet Championship is certainly in full swing.

Cardiff have been the surprise pace-setters after a flawless start to the campaign, while things haven't started so brightly for newly-promoted Bolton and Brentford, who are winless thus far at the foot of the table. But with the season very much in its infancy, all can and inevitably will change before long.

For now, however, WhoScored.com look back to the star performers from August, with no real surprises as to the side with the most representatives in the team of the month...

Goalkeeper: Bartosz Bialkowski (Ipswich)

Ipswich were among those tipped for a relegation battle by many this season but the Tractor Boys are flying high. Polish shot stopper Bialkowski has played a significant role in their early-season success, keeping two clean sheets and producing more saves (25) than any other keeper for a WhoScored.com rating of 7.48.

Right-back: Ola Aina (Hull)

The first of five summer signings in the highest rated XI, Chelsea loanee Aina has enjoyed an excellent start to life at the KCOM Stadium. The 20-year-old has impressed at both ends for Hull thus far, registering an assist as well as averaging two successful dribbles per game, while racking up 17 tackles last month to earn a rating of 7.54.

Centre-back: Michael Hector (Hull)

The only Tigers player with a better rating (7.61) than Aina, Hector is already proving to be another shrewd addition, again arriving on loan from the Premier League champions during the summer. The 25-year-old has certainly been kept busy, with 20 tackles the most of any centre-back in the league, while he also leads Hull in interceptions (12) and passes per game (64.8).

Centre-back: Sol Bamba (Cardiff)

His relationship with Neil Warnock may have reached boiling point last season but Bamba's displays will have delighted the Bluebirds' boss last month. The Ivorian completed the third most clearances (53), won over 75% of the 37 aerial duels he competed and capped off a fine August with a winning goal against QPR to secure the highest WhoScored.com rating (8.06) in the Championship.

Left-back: Joe Bryan (Bristol City)

It's been a decent if unspectacular start for mid-table Bristol City, but while Bobby Reid has taken the headlines for his goals, left-back Bryan has shone at the opposite end of the pitch. That's not to say the versatile 23-year-old hasn't been an outlet going forwards, with 1.6 dribbles per game, but it's his dogged defensive work that has caught the eye, making the most tackles in the league (24) to earn a rating of 7.86.

Right midfield: Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (Cardiff)

The highest-rated summer signing thus far (7.94), and second to only team-mate Bamba in the entire league, Cardiff's capture of Mendez-Laing is already looking like a masterstroke. Arriving from Rochdale on a free transfer, The 25-year-old has scored some memorable goals already to share the lead in the Championship, with four, while completing 2.4 dribbles per game and proving to be a nightmare for opposition full-backs.

Central midfield: George Saville (Millwall)

Returning to Millwall permanently this summer having spent the first half of the 2015/16 season at The Den on loan from Wolves, Saville has instantly become a fan favourite once more. The 24-year-old has scored twice from the middle of the park, but has been particularly effective at breaking up play with a superb four tackles per game, securing a WhoScored.com rating of 7.64.

Central midfield: Joe Ralls (Cardiff)

The third representative for the table toppers in August's team of the month, Ralls has weighed in with a goal and an assist from what has been a strong all-round contribution in midfield. The 23-year-old completed all eight of the dribbles he attempted last month, while creating 12 chances to rank among the top-six players in the Championship and earn a rating of 7.78.

Left midfield: Junior Hoilett (Cardiff)

With two goals and three assists in five appearances, no player had a direct hand in more goals in August than Hoilett, who, at 27, is finally beginning to live up to his early promise. The Canadian international has already matched his goal tally from his first season in Wales and looks to have regained his confidence, firing off three shots per game for a rating of 7.88.

Striker: Kenneth Zohore (Cardiff)

It's been a relatively frustrating start to the season for Zohore, but that's not to say he hasn't played a key role in Cardiff's faultless campaign so far. The 23-year-old really came to prominence in the second half of last season and picked up where he left off with the winner against Burton. He's not scored since but has registered two assists, attempted the most shots (25) and had the most efforts on target (11).

Striker: Joe Garner (Ipswich)

Following their arrivals from Rangers this summer, Joe Garner has had a fantastic start to his Ipswich career alongside Martyn Waghorn. The latter may have scored more goals (four to three), but Garner also has an assist to his name and has been an invaluable focal point to Mick McCarthy's side, winning 6.2 aerial duels per game and drawing 4.2 fouls per game to earn a WhoScored.com rating of 7.66.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYER STATS MAKE GOOD READING FOR CITY

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:02 am

Particularly pleased for Joe Ralls :thumbright: :clap: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:38 am

Sven wrote:Particularly pleased for Joe Ralls :thumbright: :clap: :ayatollah:

Yet there are those who want to drop him. You couldn't make it up could you :lol: :lol:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:42 am

Ruislip Blue wrote:

Yet there are those who want to drop him. You couldn't make it up could you :lol: :lol:

Have to say I was one of Ralls biggest critics before the season and still wasn't convinced after Burton.
I have to admit I was wrong.
Long may it continue.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

Yup, I seen people on a message I think about Bryson saying they would drop him which I find odd.

He has been brilliant.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

Yup, I seen people on a message I think about Bryson saying they would drop him which I find odd.

He has been brilliant.

id put bryson in for damour personally :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

He has been brilliant.

Statistically, Damour (6.70) is a better player than Bryson (6.31) ergo, you'd be weakening the team. (not by much admittedly.)

And, if played in his best position, namely centre midfield, then Damour comes out as 7.70, which is way better than Gunnarsson.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/29451 ... AFc-Damour

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/7955/ ... aig-Bryson

I love stats by the way :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

He has been brilliant.

Statistically, Damour (6.70) is a better player than Bryson (6.31) ergo, you'd be weakening the team. (not by much admittedly.)

And, if played in his best position, namely centre midfield, then Damour comes out as 7.70, which is way better than Gunnarsson.

those statistics dont really count for much at all

fan of stats myself but you cant really use them to judge

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:44 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

He has been brilliant.

So this entire thread is a waste of time then. As its all stats based :lol:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Ruislip Blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Ruislip Blue wrote:

are there ?

He has been brilliant.

So this entire thread is a waste of time then. As its all stats based :lol:

its good to see - however saying we would be weakening the team based off these things is a little insane.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm

To be honest isn't it great to see, as opposed to previous seasons, that we have no weaknesses in the first team. Also we have players like Manga, Bryson, Patterson, Tomlin, Harris and Healey to come. I'm sure we all have our individual preferences but there sure aren't any weak links any more.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 pm

City Slicker wrote:To be honest isn't it great to see, as opposed to previous seasons, that we have no weaknesses in the first team. Also we have players like Manga, Bryson, Patterson, Tomlin, Harris and Healey to come. I'm sure we all have our individual preferences but there sure aren't any weak links any more.

yeah ill agree with that. in terms of a championship winning side you could pick holes in the team but no one expected more than a playoff push this season :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

City Slicker wrote:To be honest isn't it great to see, as opposed to previous seasons, that we have no weaknesses in the first team. Also we have players like Manga, Bryson, Patterson, Tomlin, Harris and Healey to come. I'm sure we all have our individual preferences but there sure aren't any weak links any more.

Really looking forward to seeing Patterson I think he might give us another dimension.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 am

2blue2handle wrote:

Really looking forward to seeing Patterson I think he might give us another dimension.

Agree, Luke. Always looked good against us in the past :thumbup: :ayatollah: