Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rangers new-boy determined to land starting spot v Celtic

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Rangers new-boy determined to land starting spot against Celtic

Declan John is spending a season at Ibrox Park.

Irish Times

Thursday 7th September 2017

Rangers new-boy Declan John is determined to get a taste of Old Firm football during his season-long loan in Glasgow.

The Wales international joined the Gers from Cardiff City on transfer deadline day and is hoping to make his debut when Dundee visit Ibrox on Saturday afternoon (kick-off 3pm).

But what the 22 year-old really wants is to take to the pitch against his new club's Old Firm rivals Celtic. He has three games to make it into the starting XI before the season's first Glasgow derby at Ibrox on September 23.

"Up here the Old Firm is a massive game so hopefully I can feature in that. I have played in the Cardiff v Swansea derby before," he said.

"Hopefully I can get some minutes in starting with the weekend. Neil Warnock (Cardiff manager) told me to just come here and enjoy it.

"I was really happy when I found out (about moving to Rangers). It's a massive club.

"I do want to play. Whether that is left-back or left wing I really don't mind. Lee Wallace has been here years and is a great player. If I am up here playing well and getting games it is only going to stand me in good stead for the national team."

John made just nine Championship starts for Cardiff last season but is hoping he still has what it takes to add a new dynamic to Rangers' side.

"It has been tough. The change of manager caused me to slip out of the team. Being 22 you want to be out playing games," he said. "I am good at getting forward and getting balls into the box.

"My first few days have been good. The training has been tough."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.