Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"Premier League club sack manager "

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 am

Granted they've had a torrid time the first 4 games but last 2 games much approved, even Sean Dyche said yesterday Palace were better team, seems crazy and I think it may come back to bite them on the backside

BBC

Frank de Boer has been sacked as Crystal Palace manager after five games and 77 days in charge.

Former England boss Roy Hodgson will replace him, BBC Sport understands.

The Eagles are 19th in the Premier League after losing 1-0 at Burnley on Sunday - and failed to score in their four league matches under De Boer.

His is the shortest Premier League managerial tenure in terms of games, and the 47-year-old's past two jobs have lasted a combined 162 days.

Announcing the Dutchman's departure on the club website, Palace said: "We would like to thank Frank for his dedication and hard work."

Former Ajax boss De Boer only took over this summer, succeeding Sam Allardyce, who left after helping Palace avoid relegation last season.

He was sacked by Inter Milan in November 2016 after 85 days.

Prior to that he had won the Eredivisie four years in a row, between 2011 and 2015.

His only win as Palace manager came in the EFL Cup against Ipswich Town.

When asked for his reaction, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte said: "I am sorry for him. You ask for a bit of time for your work."

Should Hodgson take the job on a permanent basis, he will be the club's seventh permanent manager in six years.

Palace chairman Steve Parish was at Turf Moor on Sunday, and said afterwards: "It's a terrible start but we have to stick together.

"People are frustrated, I'm frustrated, so are the management and players. We know we are better than this.

"I'm defending everyone at the club who is working their backside off to turn this around. Football teams lose games. It happens.

"Who has the better squad, us or Burnley? We had a much weaker squad when we finished 11th. The buck stops with me; I've never run away from that."

Speaking earlier this month, Parish had said De Boer's start had "not been great" and football was a "results-based business".

De Boer made two major signings at Palace, paying £26m for Liverpool centre-half Mamadou Sakho and signing Ajax defender Jairo Riedewald for £7.9m.

He also recruited full-back Timothy Fosu-Mensah and midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek on loan from Manchester United and Chelsea respectively.

Former Eagles player and manager Dougie Freedman was appointed the club's sporting director in August.

Hodgson has not managed in the Premier League since leaving West Brom to become England manager in 2012. It is said he 'can't wait to get started'.

This will be his first job since quitting as manager of the national side after Euro 2016, when England were knocked out by Iceland.

The 70-year-old started his playing career at Palace and has previously managed Blackburn, Fulham and Liverpool in the Premier League.

This is Palace's fifth successive season in the top flight. They finished 11th in 2013-14, 10th in 2014-15, 15th in 2015-16 and 14th last season.

Palace host Southampton on Saturday before Huddersfield visit for an EFL Cup third-round tie on Tuesday, 19 September.

The Eagles will then face the current top three in the Premier League.

They visit Manchester City on 23 September and Manchester United on 30 September before hosting Chelsea on 14 October.

Palace are the first top-flight team since Preston in 1924-25 to lose their opening four league matches without scoring a goal.

Re: C Palace sack De Boer

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 am

Is that ELEVEN managers they've had since 2007?
StT <><

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 am

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:Is that ELEVEN managers they've had since 2007?
StT <><

yes 11 which includes Mr Warnock twice...plus quite a few caretakers ..

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:15 pm

they are a club that is run season by season, and they do not follow through with decisions they make.

if they were prepared to sack him after 4 games then why did they appoint him at all? the media expect roy hodgson to replace him, and he is likely to keep them up and has extensive experience of managing small clubs to punch above their weight. the question is why didnt they instead get him in the summer?

this sacking makes the board look bad. i know most clubs will not sack a manager after four defeats but this is the sort of knee jerk sacking we used to laugh at other clubs in spain, italy etc for making.

Re: "Premier League club sack manager "

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Really poor decision I think. I watched their match on TV yesterday lunchtime, and they played well. Just couldn't score, but the better team on the day.

What makes it worse is that their Chairman went on Twitter last night, and it looks like he was undermining De Boer by the things he was saying on there. He also said, in not so many words, that De Boer would be given time - what happened there?!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:32 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Really poor decision I think. I watched their match on TV yesterday lunchtime, and they played well. Just couldn't score, but the better team on the day.

What makes it worse is that their Chairman went on Twitter last night, and it looks like he was undermining De Boer by the things he was saying on there. He also said, in not so many words, that De Boer would be given time - what happened there?!

its insane.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 pm

"He was sacked by Inter Milan in November 2016 after 85 days"

"Prior to that he had won the Eredivisie four years in a row, between 2011 and 2015"(A pretty crap league)

Fantastic player, Over rated Manager and way out of his depth in the Premier League..... So they replace him with Hodgson!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 pm

I hope Crystal Palace get relegated after this decision. I watched the game yesterday and it was the most one sided defeat I have ever seen. There is absolutely no way he should have been sacked after that very good performance. Approaching the last 5 minutes, a stat came up saying there were 4-23 goal attempts in Palace's favour. Scott Dann's miss at the end was as bad as I've ever seen. No manager can do anything about misses like that. I find this an absolutely incredible decision.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Plus the ridiculous back pass that gifted Burnley their goal. How can a manager legislate for a player making a decision like that. Absolute madness to sack a manager after 4 games. They are only 4 points behind Swansea who are 15th. Palace don't deserve to be in Premier League, I think they will be another Sunderland fighting relegation season after season, only they won't get away with it as long as Sunderland did.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 pm

I think it look's embarrassing on the board, appointed this man before the season started and haven't given a fair crack of the whip.

Like they got the man they wanted and don't even give him a full month, shocking.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm

This is shocking, how can a club be run this way.

I want Palace to do well to make it harder for the Jacks to avoid a relegation spot!