Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Bristol City Fans Abuse Women & Threaten Her '

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:03 am

Woman subjected to disgusting 'unprovoked obscene abuse' from Bristol City fans

Bristol Post

Tuesday 12th September 2017

Polly Robinson Gaer has asked the railway company to hand over CCTV of the incident to the police for investigation

A woman says she was subjected to unprovoked obscene abuse and physically threatening behaviour from a group of Bristol City fans on a train returning from an away match.

Polly Robinson Gaer, an art gallery director from London, says she received a torrent of gross sexual remarks on a GWR train from London Paddington to Swansea via Bristol on Saturday.

Ms Gaer sent her account of the incident to the Bristol Post as well as the head of Bristol Sport, the clubs owners and the chief constable of the British Transport Police.

She wrote: “Shortly after the train left Reading station, I went to the bar in order to buy a drink. The bar was full of Bristol City football supporters who had boarded the train at Reading.

“They were all male, mostly drunk and quite rowdy.

"While I was waiting to be served one of the group standing behind me turned to another of the crowd and said: ‘She’s a MILF. I wonder if she takes it up the sh****r?'

“This was clearly intended for me to hear. I was so shocked that I didn’t respond immediately.

"When I regained my composure, I turned to the individual in question and asked if he would care to repeat what he had just said.

“Another member of the group interjected ‘She’s not a MILF, she’s just a 50 year-old woman. Who would want to f*** her?’

“This tirade of unprovoked obscene abuse continued in the same tone for some time.

“I attempted to return to my seat but a phalanx of these yobs attempted to block my exit and I was obliged to squeeze past them in order to regain my seat. This incident was physically intimidating, menacing and frankly frightening.”

Ms Gaer pointed out in her letter that similar behaviour would be completely unacceptable on a plane.

She said: “Had passengers in a similar state of inebriation attempted to join a commercial airline flight, they would have been refused boarding and, if behaviour such as that to which I was subjected had taken place mid-flight, the individuals would have been refused alcohol and further sanctions might have included being restrained in their seats by cabin crew or even diverting the aircraft in order that they be handed over to the police.”

Ms Gaer said train staff were sympathetic and a train guard came to her seat to apologise for the situation which she acknowledged “was manifestly beyond his control”.

She asked GWR to release CCTV footage of the incident to the British Transport Police so they could open an investigation into the incident.

She also called on Jon Landsdown, Managing Director of Bristol Sport, parent company of Bristol City, to identify the individuals involved.

“Most football clubs are rightly sensitive to the behaviour of their supporters and I am sure that Mr Lansdown would want to take steps to exclude thugs of this sort from future Bristol City matches.

“Surely a successful football team doesn’t need supporters such as these?”

A spokesman for Bristol City said: “We have already apologised to Ms Gaer for the behaviour of our supporters on that train. Bristol City FC takes this matter very seriously and behaviour like this is unacceptable. We will work with the authorities to try and identify the culprits and will then take the appropriate action.”

A spokesman from British Transport Police confirmed they had received the letter and said: "An officer is making the relevant enquiries and will make contact with the victim."

A GWR spokesman said: "This is clearly a horrible incident and one which no one should have to go through.

We have reported this incident to British Transport Police on behalf of our customer and will be supporting any investigation. We alway take customer safety extremely seriously.'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Bristol City Fans Abuse Women & Threaten Her '

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 am

No doubt someone will try to justify it as 'banter'.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

To be honest Bristol city are horrible fans

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Why weren't there any police on the train? They must have known many Bristol fans would be travelling back on the train. There were at least six police on our train back from Fulham. Always are when we play in London.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 pm

I love it when people say its all banter and we just go all skipping to the ground. Vile language and little iq.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm

After describing Bristol City as 'successful', how can anyone believe a word this lady says?

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Yeah, just banter - until it's said to your wife/aunt/sister/daughter, then all of a sudden it ain't

However drunk I've been away with the City, that behaviour is beyond the pale.

Well done her for doing what she's done.