Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WARNOCK SAYING LOSS DOWN TO TIREDNESS "I DONT AGREE" SAYS

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 am

WARNOCK SAYING LOSS DOWN TO TIREDNESS" I DONT BUY THAT" SAYS BLAKE

"Hard work, resilience, energy, winning the 50-50s... then the forward power wins the game for you"

BY NATHAN BLAKE

Friday 15th September 2017

NATHAN BLAKE:

Neil Warnock put the loss down to tiredness, talking of the travel required for Cardiff to play back to back away games at Fulham and Preston.

"I’m not sure I completely buy that. Personally, I’d put it down to complacency."

Did Cardiff just think they could rock up at Preston and win? They’d made a brilliant start to the season, everyone’s talking about them, they’re top of the league. It’s easy to get into the frame of mind that ‘It’s only Preston, we’ll roll them over’.

Well what the result demonstrates, yet again, is that there is no easy game in football. Maybe occasionally for Celtic in the Scottish League, but most certainly not for Cardiff City in the Championship.

If Cardiff had had six or seven players on international duty, exhausted from endeavours with their country, then I might have bought the tiredness argument. If it was February or March time, I might have bought it.

Not in early September, though. And the majority of the starting XI weren’t involved in World Cup games.

I thought Cardiff had a completely different attitude at Preston, going away from the very basics that have brought such success thus far under Warnock.

A bit of snobbery possibly? We’re top, we’ll roll into town and win, play poorly but just nick a goal if we need to. It happens.

Unfortunately, you can’t just turn on the tap when you want to. You have to be at it from the first whistle and Cardiff weren’t.

I’ve been through this myself as a player with Bolton, have first hand experience. We were flying, the best team in the league and I recall the team bus rocking up at The Valley. We knew we were too good for Charlton. Suddenly, mind-set wrong, we found ourselves 3-0 down.

Our manager Colin Todd tore into us at half-time, but he didn’t need to. We were embarrassed at producing such an abject performance in front of our travelling fans.

Mind-set changed, we actually clawed it back to 3-3 in the second-half. But there was a lot of self-analysis on the journey home. We looked at ourselves, vowed to never let that happen again.

It will be the same with Cardiff post-Preston. Warnock, Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson will have told the players in no uncertain terms that wasn’t good enough, but I suspect the leaders in the team were telling the other players that on the way home anyway.

Self critique can work wonders. As soon as you think you’ve arrived in football, got the job done, you get a slap in the face.

What Cardiff have achieved, five wins on the bounce at the start, is one of the best things in the club’s history. No City side had done that before. That’s a measure of the achievement.

But it will mean absolutely nothing if they finish 12th. They have to keep backing it up. That means doing the very things that brought those five victories in the first place.

Hard work, resilience, energy, winning the 50-50s... then the forward power wins the game for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: WARNOCK SAYING LOSS DOWN TO TIREDNESS "I DONT AGREE" SAY

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am

Spot on by Blake.
Utter bullshit about tiredness due to travelling. He should have freshened things up for the game.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 am

Don't often agree with Blake but having been to Fulham and Preston I have to say I completely agree with him.

Not sure it was very clever of Warnock to say before Fulham that it was possible we could lose the next four games :o or indeed saying that he would be happy if we were in the top 4 at the end of October.

Players need to be kept on their toes and 100% committed in every game.

In fairness they've been brilliant in the first five games but standards have dropped in the last two.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Spot on by Blake.
Utter bullshit about tiredness due to travelling. He should have freshened things up for the game.

As the saying goes "hindsight is a wonderful thing."

Warnock was stuck with the classic stick or twist situation. He probably did want to freshen things up but you can't always do that without justification, i.e. a player has lost form/bad previous result and as we know Pre-Preston we had won 5 drawn 1 and lost none.

Also there is the don't change a winning team mantra. Personally I thought that he might drop Zohore and reward Danny Ward with a start after his goal at Fulham, but the manager (who has proved me wrong on many occasions) opted not to.

Now after the Preston result NW does have justification to freshen things up and I fully expect him to do so.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:51 am

davids wrote:Don't often agree with Blake but having been to Fulham and Preston I have to say I completely agree with him.

Not sure it was very clever of Warnock to say before Fulham that it was possible we could lose the next four games :o or indeed saying that he would be happy if we were in the top 4 at the end of October.

Players need to be kept on their toes and 100% committed in every game.

In fairness they've been brilliant in the first five games but standards have dropped in the last two.

I wasn't too fussed on those comments either but just took them as NW managing fans expectations. It is a very reasonable argument that we overachieved in the first 5 games and at some point there would be a correction.

That said if we are in the top 4 come the end of October I will be happy enough. :D

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am

I feel we need Zohore to start knocking them in.

He has not scored since the first game and that is surprising. When you have your forwards not delivering it puts pressure on the rest of the team.

I believe this has had an effect more than some of us realise.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I feel we need Zohore to start knocking them in.

He has not scored since the first game and that is surprising. When you have your forwards not delivering it puts pressure on the rest of the team.

I believe this has had an effect more than some of us realise.

He was totally shite in the last 2 games and so was the rest of the team. He is not the same player who ended last season and I'm starting to suspect a sulk due to the transfer speculation. Stinks of an agent causing trouble but we will have to wait and see.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:14 pm

It may even be timely to rest Zohore. Ward did well when he came on v. Fulham.
We also need more invention and Tomlin is the obvious answer.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Why would you want Warnock to freshen things up if you think our team being tired is bullshit?

Personally, I think Preston having consecutive home games Saturday and Tuesday and us having consecutive away games Saturday and Tuesday had a massive impact on our performance and result. It took the team bus 6 hours to get to Preston, which wasn't ideal preparation at all.

I'm very surprised by Blake's comments.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 pm

This from a player that would give you Barely 30 minutes in a game.

Just look at the traveling they did over the course of 3 days, like it or not it wears you out more so if slipping in 2 games of professional football.

As for some of the comments above slagging the team and individual players off as we sit second in the league, well that just reminds me that we have some real crap "supporters"

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 pm

These midweek games are not new we have doing this for a long time with all the travelling how have we and all other teams managed in the past.Agree with Blakey or if it's not just that we got severe fitness issues along with transfer talk hangovers.We got the F. A. cup saga to come yet extra games and travelling etc,less excuses more football please let's throw the gauntlet down again.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:04 pm

A bit worrying that highly paid professional athletes participating in a sport where skill and fitness are everything can be worn out a few weeks and a handful of games into the season. As for travelling, we live on a relatively small island. Cardiff to Preston is just 200 miles. nothing compared to the distances many overseas clubs regularly have to travel.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm

I think it was more complacency than anything else

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:A bit worrying that highly paid professional athletes participating in a sport where skill and fitness are everything can be worn out a few weeks and a handful of games into the season. As for travelling, we live on a relatively small island. Cardiff to Preston is just 200 miles. nothing compared to the distances many overseas clubs regularly have to travel.

Except with 2 away games they didn't travel 200 miles from Cardiff they did in excess of 700 miles in 3 days.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:25 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:A bit worrying that highly paid professional athletes participating in a sport where skill and fitness are everything can be worn out a few weeks and a handful of games into the season. As for travelling, we live on a relatively small island. Cardiff to Preston is just 200 miles. nothing compared to the distances many overseas clubs regularly have to travel.

Except with 2 away games they didn't travel 200 miles from Cardiff they did in excess of 700 miles in 3 days.

Fair point but they would have been travelling in luxury and would hardly have suffered jet lag or anything. Have seen Cardiff sides play away on a Saturday, travel to some remote European outpost for a cup match on a Wednesday night, and play again 3 days later. There was never talk of fatigue then, only one sub was permitted, and training/treatment methods were nowhere near as advanced as they are now. The season has only just started, God help us by the time January arrives if we are knackered after 6 games.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Whilst agree shouldn't be that tired maybe problem lies in preparation for games? Players have such a routin with help from sports science + neutritianists ! Travelling 700miles in 3 days meant little time to be at optimum condition hence tired! Preston had normal time to prepare so wasn't tired and it showed. :old:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:26 pm

What a load of bollocks, they travell in luxury, get paid fantastic amounts to do what most of us would do for nothing,and they re to tired to put a shift in.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 pm

The championship is about margins on the day. This is a very level league and if you are not 100% you don't win, ask Wolves.

5% off your normal game whether tiredness,excessive travelling or complacency and you don't win your battles, don't win your battles and the team don't win the game....

Kenny and Gunnar had air miles in the bank and miles in the legs. I was surprised Gunnar played TBH as Warnock said he was knackered at Fulham. Back to back away games are tough especially off an international weekend.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:What a load of bollocks, they travell in luxury, get paid fantastic amounts to do what most of us would do for nothing,and they re to tired to put a shift in.

Exactly, give yourself a slap in the chops and get out there and give 100% for 90mins. It's not like it's the arse end of the season

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Woody CCFC wrote:What a load of bollocks, they travell in luxury, get paid fantastic amounts to do what most of us would do for nothing,and they re to tired to put a shift in.

Exactly, give yourself a slap in the chops and get out there and give 100% for 90mins. It's not like it's the arse end of the season

I'm sure the players did give 100% at Preston. Unfortunately, the fixture list stitched us up in giving us 2 back to back away games with over 700 miles of travelling while Preston had back to back home games where they had ample more opportunity to rest, recuperate and prepare properly.

As Warnock said, we write the Preston game off and focus on putting things right tomorrow.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

I'm sure the players did give 100% at Preston. Unfortunately, the fixture list stitched us up in giving us 2 back to back away games with over 700 miles of travelling while Preston had back to back home games where they had ample more opportunity to rest, recuperate and prepare properly.

As Warnock said, we write the Preston game off and focus on putting things right tomorrow.

A couple of hundred of those miles were after the Preston game. Can't really blame the journey home for the defeat, but can always use that as an excuse if we get beat tomorrow. ;)

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Tiredness is the worst excuse, paid thousands and it's their job.. some of us work 6-2 jobs 5 days a week and we may complain but we get on with it.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Tiredness is the worst excuse, paid thousands and it's their job.. some of us work 6-2 jobs 5 days a week and we may complain but we get on with it.

i see what Warnock said as more a reason than an excuse.. and far too many managers have said this for it just to be eye wash.
travelling does make you tired.the more travelling the more likely you are to be tired..it doesnt mean anyone gave less than 100%. just that 100% if feeling even a little fatigued is less than your best allthough you are still doing your best at the time...this is the same no matter what job you do, but most of us are in jobs where we are not physically competing head to head with well paid athletes of pretty much equal ability and therefore get away with being slightly off.
i think our players do get on with it. they do their best..and it wasnt them complaining .
its very fine margins and the higher up in sport you go the finer the margins get..
eg..take just 3% off bolts performances and he doesnt get an Olympic medal of any colour..

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:19 am

I think its utter nonsense to blame City's defeat at Preston on tiredness,that comment by : Warnock was an excuse to cover up the fact that he got his selection wrong,but lets say it was down to tiredness,all the more reason for Warnock to have freshened things up

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:22 am

angelis1949 wrote:I think its utter nonsense to blame City's defeat at Preston on tiredness,that comment by : Warnock was an excuse to cover up the fact that he got his selection wrong,but lets say it was down to tiredness,all the more reason for Warnock to have freshened things up

I am one of Neil Warnocks biggest fans, but the excuse or hint of the fact tiredness was a factor I thought was poor.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:27 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Warnock was stuck with the classic stick or twist situation. He probably did want to freshen things up but you can't always do that without justification, i.e. a player has lost form/bad previous result and as we know Pre-Preston we had won 5 drawn 1 and lost none.

Also there is the don't change a winning team mantra. Personally I thought that he might drop Zohore and reward Danny Ward with a start after his goal at Fulham, but the manager (who has proved me wrong on many occasions) opted not to.

Now after the Preston result NW does have justification to freshen things up and I fully expect him to do so.

Nothing to do with hindsight, I said before the game one or two changes were needed - as did others.
I certainly don't go with this tiredness nonsense in early September!!

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:32 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Why would you want Warnock to freshen things up if you think our team being tired is bullshit?

Personally, I think Preston having consecutive home games Saturday and Tuesday and us having consecutive away games Saturday and Tuesday had a massive impact on our performance and result. It took the team bus 6 hours to get to Preston, which wasn't ideal preparation at all.

I'm very surprised by Blake's comments.

Ever heard of loss of form as in Zohore? Keeping players on their toes and looking over their shoulders? People like Ward & Bryson chomping at the bit to get on. Nothing to do with tiredness in early September.

As with your Blake comment, he's forgotten more than you'll ever know about football. He'll know a bit about traveling to away games as a player etc, something you've never done.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 am

seems we have lots of fans who never feel a bit tired after travelling. wow..
please pass on your secret.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:10 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Nothing to do with hindsight, I said before the game one or two changes were needed - as did others.

whats September have to do with it..?
i felt tired yesterday..i dont today..

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 pm

dogfound wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

whats September have to do with it..?
i felt tired yesterday..i dont today..

Yeah I'm the same but I'm tired today, I was fine yesterday!