Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Could do with Ledley

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Who do we have as back up for Gunnar and Ralls? Ledley would help us out massively.

Re: Could do with Ledley

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Tomlin and Bryson. Halford if we're a bit more desperate!

No point in having an unfit Ledley who can't last more than 60 minutes any more.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:41 pm

maccydee wrote:Who do we have as back up for Gunnar and Ralls? Ledley would help us out massively.

Tuesday showed us we need back up its a long season

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm

davids wrote:Tomlin and Bryson. Halford if we're a bit more desperate!

No point in having an unfit Ledley who can't last more than 60 minutes any more.

I would hope he would get up to speed quickly and anyway Halford not good enough in midfield, better in defence.
Tomlin and Bryson more attacking than holding midfielders

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Yes, we are missing his pace but looks like we would have to join the big queue of clubs all desperate for his signature. ;)

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Yes, we are missing his pace but looks like we would have to join the big queue of clubs all desperate for his signature. ;)

someone surely must want him

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Tomlin and Bryson are more than good enough backup. Damour can easily play a holding role and Halford can step in and do a solid job, as he showed away to Leeds last season.

I would rather chew my own arm off than have Ledley here on the silly wages he's demanding. He's shown on several occasions he doesn't want to be here unless we offer him a much bigger salary than he's worth.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Tomlin and Bryson are more than good enough backup. Damour can easily play a holding role and Halford can step in and do a solid job, as he showed away to Leeds last season.

I would rather chew my own arm off than have Ledley here on the silly wages he's demanding. He's shown on several occasions he doesn't want to be here unless we offer him a much bigger salary than he's worth.

Only having seen Halford at a preseason game he was absolutely bypassed by Shrewsbury's midfield. Don't think he is the answer at all. Bryson and Tomlin are not like for like with Gunnar or I suspect Ralls. Damour not sure about as a holding midfielder either.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:03 pm

maccydee wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Tomlin and Bryson are more than good enough backup. Damour can easily play a holding role and Halford can step in and do a solid job, as he showed away to Leeds last season.

Only having seen Halford at a preseason game he was absolutely bypassed by Shrewsbury's midfield. Don't think he is the answer at all. Bryson and Tomlin are not like for like with Gunnar or I suspect Ralls. Damour not sure about as a holding midfielder either.

Can't Sol Bamba play holding role? And I'd imagine Manga could too.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 pm

maccydee wrote:

Didn't you watch Halford at all last season? He was probably man of the match away to Leeds and Newcastle were getting no joy through the middle until Halford went off. Halford is a solid, no nonsense, streetwise player who doesn't do anything fancy, but I've yet to see him lose his personal battle with his opponent.

Unfortunately, he gets criticised because he was only a free transfer from Rotherham.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 pm

We've got Bryson and tomlin we just need to use them when players are clearly tired.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:15 pm

oxfordblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Yes, we are missing his pace but looks like we would have to join the big queue of clubs all desperate for his signature. ;)

I think Rhydyfelin Labour Club 3rds took a look at him but decided he was too slow.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Ledley never seems to have the engine to last 90 minutes

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Personally I will be glad when some club signs him, and maybe we can stop all these threads on him

Too slow for the tempo NW wants

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Didn't you watch Halford at all last season? He was probably man of the match away to Leeds and Newcastle were getting no joy through the middle until Halford went off. Halford is a solid, no nonsense, streetwise player who doesn't do anything fancy, but I've yet to see him lose his personal battle with his opponent.

Unfortunately, he gets criticised because he was only a free transfer from Rotherham.

No this season when he was chasing league one shadows. Wasn't he awful in the cup too?

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:49 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

This ^^^^
I played the holding role when I was younger ( park football FYI )
People don't appreciate the easy things - breaking down play and passing to quicker more skilful players.
I think Halford is a great squad player to have. :thumbup:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Personally I will be glad when some club signs him, and maybe we can stop all these threads on him

I couldn't agree more! :thumbright:

I've not been shy of stating my disappointment at the way Joe left and/or my opinion that he was looking to 'use' the club for his own ends (a return to the area for his family) rather than having any particular desire to play for the club he once claimed to love/support

Joe has clearly got a few supporters rooting for him but in pure footballing terms, a Joe Ledley return to Cardiff City FC is not required right now (therefor never will be) and it's about time we moved on!

Neil Warnock has publicly stated that Ledley isn't for him "as I got the players I wanted ahead of him!" and people perpetuating this myth that Ledley will be our saviour are way out of kilter with the rest of the footballing community who so clearly think of Joe in similar terms, as his lack of match pace coupled with his preference for money clearly aren't the answer to a club with a dynamic playing style

Let's give a little respect tot the players who have given us our best start to a season EVER and get behind them rather than seeking to replace after five wins, a draw and a single defeat in seven games to date, eh? :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Personally I will be glad when some club signs him, and maybe we can stop all these threads on him

going to be interesting to see who eventually does sign him.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:52 pm

I have it on good authority that Cardiff City are going to offer Ledley (the traitor) a contract. But not as a footballer but as a programme seller. :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 pm

dogfound wrote:

Barry Town

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm

dogfound wrote:

On that, I agree! :thumbup:

Needs to be sorted soon, if Joe wants to be part of a Wales team/squad that has increased its chances of getting to Russia next year and on that front (even as someone who values club over international football) I sincerely hope he is there as part of the team/squad he has clearly played a part in! :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Sven wrote:

I've not been shy of stating my disappointment at the way Joe left and/or my opinion that he was looking to 'use' the club for his own ends (a return to the area for his family) rather than having any particular desire to play for the club he once claimed to love/support

Joe has clearly got a few supporters rooting for him but in pure footballing terms, a Joe Ledley return to Cardiff City FC is not required right now (therefor never will be) and it's about time we moved on!

Neil Warnock has publicly stated that Ledley isn't for him "as I got the players I wanted ahead of him!" and people perpetuating this myth that Ledley will be our saviour are way out of kilter with the rest of the footballing community who so clearly think of Joe in similar terms, as his lack of match pace coupled with his preference for money clearly aren't the answer to a club with a dynamic playing style

Let's give a little respect tot the players who have given us our best start to a season EVER and get behind them rather than seeking to replace after five wins, a draw and a single defeat in seven games to date, eh? :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Add to not replace.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Bring back chops & bothroyd too! Joe is past it move on

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Add to not replace.

Play on words but I'll stick to my thought that we simply don't need Joe in our squad :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Barry Town

been a couple of articles in the Nottingham press suggesting a move to Forest, but his wage demands might be restrictive.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:42 am

dogfound wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Barry Town

been a couple of articles in the Nottingham press suggesting a move to Forest, but his wage demands might be restrictive.

Well it goes to show his demands are unrealistic if no one's willing to pay them

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 am

oxfordblue wrote:

Yes maccydee wants him but his wages are too restrictive for him! :lol:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:10 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
oxfordblue wrote:

Yes maccydee wants him but his wages are too restrictive for him!
:lol:

:lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 am

oxfordblue wrote:

Paul, maybe the 'band of brothers' could club together now Joe has apparently reduced his wage demands? :laughing6:

I find it amusing that we all want to spend Vincent Tan's money as if it was, uhm, Vincent Tan's and not our own but let's do it on someone who would improve what we've got and play an active part in the season, eh?

I accept Joe Ledley has his fans/admirers and as a 'local' boy many will have links with him from childhood; but bringing him back out of pure sentiment is wrong. City have done it before and it's not worked, leaving some tarnished reputations at the club; although to be fair that's something Joe doesn't need to worry about ;) :laughing6:

There have been a few exceptions (Stantona, Bellamy and loanee Ramsey immediately spring to mind) but I can't remember many 'returners' who were anywhere as near as good for us as they were when they left and Joe would be in that category

Sadly (and I mean that) he has missed the proverbial boat and is now exceptionally limited on his choices. He really needs to put a shift on, if he genuinely wants to play football and keep his place in the Wales squad! :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Sven wrote:
oxfordblue wrote:

Paul, maybe the 'band of brothers' could club together now Joe has apparently reduced his wage demands? :laughing6:

I find it amusing that we all want to spend Vincent Tan's money as if it was, uhm, Vincent Tan's and not our own but let's do it on someone who would improve what we've got and play an active part in the season, eh?

I accept Joe Ledley has his fans/admirers and as a 'local' boy many will have links with him from childhood; but bringing him back out of pure sentiment is wrong. City have done it before and it's not worked, leaving some tarnished reputations at the club; although to be fair that's something Joe doesn't need to worry about ;) :laughing6:

There have been a few exceptions (Stantona, Bellamy and loanee Ramsey immediately spring to mind) but I can't remember many 'returners' who were anywhere as near as good for us as they were when they left and Joe would be in that category

Sadly (and I mean that) he has missed the proverbial boat and is now exceptionally limited on his choices. He really needs to put a shift on, if he genuinely wants to play football and keep his place in the Wales squad! :ayatollah:

Sensible words as usual Chris.
Let's hope all this hype about us needing Ledley has finished now. It will be interesting to see where (if anywhere) he ends up.