Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Police effectively holding the clubs to ransom as to when g

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:58 am

EFL Statement: Bristol City vs. Cardiff City. Police effectively holding the clubs to ransom as to when game played

Cardiff City’s away Sky Bet Championship fixture at Bristol City has been moved back to its original date of Saturday November 4th with a 12 noon kick-off.

The fixture had originally been selected for live TV coverage by Sky Sports on Saturday November 4th at 5.30pm but was subsequently scheduled to take place on Friday November 3rd at 7.45pm after a Police representative indicated Friday was preferable to Saturday.

Both Clubs fully supported this decision and were working with Avon and Somerset Police and the local Safety Advisory Group (SAG) on a number of additional measures as a result of there being an acceptance that this fixture was not completely without the risk of disorder.

The measures proposed by the Clubs included a reduction in the number of tickets being made available for away supporters, Cardiff City assisting with aspects of the stewarding operation and a review of how visiting fans would be transported to and from Ashton Gate to reduce the potential for disorder.

EFL Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey, said: “Despite achieving an agreement in principle, Avon and Somerset Police subsequently made a number of representations to the Safety Advisory Group and it became clear that they were not prepared to provide the police resources they felt were necessary away from Ashton Gate itself to prevent any possible disorder. In any event, Bristol City had agreed to meet the costs of the Police deployed at the stadium.

“The safety of spectators at EFL matches will always be our primary consideration when scheduling fixtures, yet we are disappointed at today’s developments and will be seeking a meeting with Avon and Somerset Police force in relation to this matter at the earliest possible opportunity, as the Clubs that fall within that area should not be disadvantaged.”

Re: Police effectively holding the clubs to ransom as to whe

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 am

Forever Blue wrote:EFL Statement: Bristol City vs. Cardiff City. Police effectively holding the clubs to ransom as to when game played

Cardiff City’s away Sky Bet Championship fixture at Bristol City has been moved back to its original date of Saturday November 4th with a 12 noon kick-off.

The fixture had originally been selected for live TV coverage by Sky Sports on Saturday November 4th at 5.30pm but was subsequently scheduled to take place on Friday November 3rd at 7.45pm after a Police representative indicated Friday was preferable to Saturday.

Both Clubs fully supported this decision and were working with Avon and Somerset Police and the local Safety Advisory Group (SAG) on a number of additional measures as a result of there being an acceptance that this fixture was not completely without the risk of disorder.

The measures proposed by the Clubs included a reduction in the number of tickets being made available for away supporters, Cardiff City assisting with aspects of the stewarding operation and a review of how visiting fans would be transported to and from Ashton Gate to reduce the potential for disorder.

EFL Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey, said: “Despite achieving an agreement in principle, Avon and Somerset Police subsequently made a number of representations to the Safety Advisory Group and it became clear that they were not prepared to provide the police resources they felt were necessary away from Ashton Gate itself to prevent any possible disorder. In any event, Bristol City had agreed to meet the costs of the Police deployed at the stadium.

“The safety of spectators at EFL matches will always be our primary consideration when scheduling fixtures, yet we are disappointed at today’s developments and will be seeking a meeting with Avon and Somerset Police force in relation to this matter at the earliest possible opportunity, as the Clubs that fall within that area should not be disadvantaged.”

not sure where this goes from here..
there hasnt been serious trouble for years in this fixture. and i dont seem to read about this going on elsewhere.
i dont see Avon and Somerset police insisting other BCFC home games are midday either.
personally i think the time has come for our club to stick up for our fans like others clubs have done and start kicking off about this crap .

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:25 am

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:EFL Statement: Bristol City vs. Cardiff City. Police effectively holding the clubs to ransom as to when game played

there hasnt been serious trouble for years in this fixture. and i dont seem to read about this going on elsewhere.
i dont see Avon and Somerset police insisting other BCFC home games are midday either.
personally i think the time has come for our club to stick up for our fans like others clubs have done and start kicking off about this crap .

Our fans have virtually been impeccable for at least 10 years v the Worzels.

What they need to do is start controlling /putting resources in to foreign fans when they come to the UK.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

What they need to do is start controlling /putting resources in to foreign fans when they come to the UK.

agree on both counts....but your 2nd point doesnt involve the crunchers police force ,the last time they had to contend with a large contingent of foreigners they arrived in the harbour from Africa under sail and were shackled, and aint playing in Europe any time soon.

dont you think its time our club stepped in..?
to a point i understood the over the top stance from police forces because we were top loads.but at what point does it stop..
Leeds { who have also been a load } take thousands everywhere and the London clubs play regular derby games without this nonsense.
the line in the article that bothers me.is..and a review of how visiting fans would be transported to Ashton gate.{sounds like a bubble was being more than considered and our club were going along with it }.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:56 am

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

agree on both counts....but your 2nd point doesnt involve the crunchers police force ,the last time they had to contend with a large contingent of foreigners they arrived in the harbour from Africa under sail and were shackled, and aint playing in Europe any time soon.

to a point i understood the over the top stance from police forces because we were top loads.but at what point does it stop..
Leeds { who have also been a load } take thousands everywhere and the London clubs play regular derby games without this nonsense.
the line in the article that bothers me.is..and a review of how visiting fans would be transported to Ashton gate.{sounds like a bubble was being more than considered and our club were going along with it }.

:lol:

When you say our club step in, I personally believe our Authorities/Safety Group/Police/Nash etc are mainly the problem for our atmosphere at home and away support declining.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

:lol:

When you say our club step in, I personally believe our Authorities/Safety Group/Police/Nash etc are mainly the problem for our atmosphere at home and away support declining.

the club {those you mention } are shit scared to resist the police restrictions for fear our fans then kick off.
i think its time our club begin to trust us and start to say no to restrictions.and firmly believe we are being singled out..
pretty sure if someone with access to official figures looked into which clubs get bubbled..RVd..KOs moved the most the conclusion would be that we are treated unfairly..
i went to 3 London derbies last season and although it never really kicked off there were minor ongoing incidents {certainly more trouble than ive seen at Cardiff games for years } with away fans turning up at various times in various stations...the met just get on with it. allocations will not change,travel will not be restricted. yet we get fans banned for stealing beefburgers ffs.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm

It's not us the authorities should be worried it's the bcfc supportes they should worry about wasn't it last season that a large group of them turned up in canton at about three o'clock or four o'clock looking for trouble funny how the authorities forget about that one and they claim a result farcical

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 pm

speaking of police, i have noticed even horse mounted police and several officers chatting amongst themselves whilst watching the game. why are they being paid to stand around doing nothing? when was the last time they were needed? it's been a long time since we've needed a police presence at our home games.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Avon and Somerset police were always aggressive towards city fans especially with their horses! Not surprised they're putting foot in! Bet if had their way they would ban all city fans from Bristol. Anyway probably want kickoff in daylight so can see the fans easily! :o