Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: ANOTHER DISSAPPOINTING RESULT TODAY/ BUT '

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:52 pm

My View/Opinion

MY VIEW: ANOTHER DISSAPPOINTING RESULT TODAY/ BUT PERFORMANCE SLIGHTLY IMPROVED AND IN THE 94TH MIN SOL BAMBA MADE IT ONE-ONE.

SOL BAMBA RESCUED A POINT IN THE LAST SECOND OF THE GAME :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thats now two points from our last nine points available.

NEIL WARNOCK KEPT FAITH WITH HIS CARDIFF TEAM YET AGAIN, OTHER THAN CRAIG BRYSON COMING IN & MAKING HIS DEBUT.

First-half: Sheff Wed deserved their first-half lead and many of our players looked slow again like they were at Preston, outstanding was Craig Bryson on his debut and Bryson was everywhere for City.

Bamba, Zohore ,Peltier and a few more all looking slow in the first-half.

Second-half, City did up their pace,but for long periods Wednesday still controlled the game and missed an open goal, City then really attacked Wed for a period of 20 mins.

CARDIFF CITY 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 1
Crowd 19,137
Away Support ( 2,103)

City: Neil Etheridge Lee Peltier Sean Morrison Sol Bamba Joe Bennett Aron Gunnarsson
Joe Ralls Craig Bryson Junior Hoilett Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Kenneth Zohore

Subs Brian Murphy Bruno Manga Jazz Richards Loic Damour Lee Tomlin Liam Feeney Danny Ward

Neil Warnock made just one change to his side who lost 3-0 away at Preston, with Craig Bryson coming in for Loic Damour.

The player that I felt Cardiff needed to contain today was Sheffield Wednesdays Gary Hooper who was looking for his 4th consecutive goal.

For the first 30 mins it was end to end,but with Wednesday having the first 10 mins and having the best of play.

Gunnarsson was denied by Wednesday's goalie Westwood, great build up play.

Craig Bryson, was everywhere and really stood out :thumbright:

Lee Peltier was booked.

Wednesday were though looking the better side over all after 35 mins.

Kenneth Zohore had a free-kick but it was very poor.

39th min Wednesday's Gary Hooper header at close range made it 0-1 :cry:

City had a couple of chances near the end of the first-half.

I will say it again Craig Bryson, was the best player for City in the first half-half by a mile :bluebird:

H/T Cardiff City 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1 :cry:

City did come out better and a couple of chances missed,but Peltier nearly put it in his own net.

61st min Mendez- Laing was pushed, should of been a penalty for City.

Mendez-Laing and Junior Hoilett switched sides and seemed to be working, which upped our pace, with City seeing more of the ball.

But still Wednesday looked in control.

70th min Steven Fletcher missed an open goal for Wednesday.

Hoilett was replaced by Feeney

Cardiff then went all out attack for 20mins.

Zohore was replaced by Danny Ward and Craig Bryson was replaced by Tomlin in the 82nd min.

City did continue to attack, but no real threats, other than Bennett in injury time just over the bar.

94th min Sol Bamba made it 1-1 :bluebird: :bluebird:

F/T Cardiff City 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1

My Man of the Match Craig Bryson :thumbright: :thumbright:

UP NEXT SUNDERLAND AWAY NEXT SATURDAY 3PM :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: ANOTHER DISSAPPOINTING RESULT TODAY/ BUT '

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Got to win your home games, if your not doing well away from home.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:54 pm

It is disappointing not to win your home games but so important we didn't lose. That's only one less this season and currently joint top. Excellent start to the season.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Time to drop Zohore and start Ward. Big Ken looks shot in confidence and Ward is chomping at the bit. I'd also try and work Tomlin into the team as we seem to lack in creativity when he's not on. Brysons energy is impressive!

Happy with the draw, Wednesday are a good side, and a draw was probably a fair result given how the game played out... But f**k me, left it a bit late!

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 pm

2-1 would have landed me £567 :roll:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Wednesday faded as match went on. Perhaps they used the same bus to travel down here that City used to get to Preston on Tuesday and were tired after their journey. ;)

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 pm

2blue2handle wrote:It is disappointing not to win your home games but so important we didn't lose. That's only one less this season and currently joint top. Excellent start to the season.

Of course Luke We don't want to lose, but over all we played not that well and we are now struggling and we scraped a draw, happy to get that in last min, but not happy over all.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Be Blue wrote:Time to drop Zohore and start Ward. Big Ken looks shot in confidence and Ward is chomping at the bit. I'd also try and work Tomlin into the team as we seem to lack in creativity when he's not on. Brysons energy is impressive!

Happy with the draw, Wednesday are a good side, and a draw was probably a fair result given how the game played out... But f**k me, left it a bit late!

We keep saying everyone is a good side when we play them, Fulham lost at Burton today.

Wed are though a very good side,but we needed to win.

Zohore, Hmmm? at mom struggling.

PtB wrote:2-1 would have landed me £567 :roll:

Bad luck Paul.

Steve Zodiak wrote:Wednesday faded as match went on. Perhaps they used the same bus to travel down here that City used to get to Preston on Tuesday and were tired after their journey. ;)

:lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Be Blue wrote:Time to drop Zohore and start Ward. Big Ken looks shot in confidence and Ward is chomping at the bit. I'd also try and work Tomlin into the team as we seem to lack in creativity when he's not on. Brysons energy is impressive!

We keep saying everyone is a good side when we play them, Fulham lost at Burton today.

True, but I'd expect them to be top 6 at the end of the season for sure. But you're right, if we want to consider ourselves genuine promotion contenders, we should be winning games like that, especially at home. Zohore isn't playing like the guy who was up front for the first 5 games, wonder if his agent is in his ear, hence Warnocks comments towards him yesterday

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Be Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

True, but I'd expect them to be top 6 at the end of the season for sure. But you're right, if we want to consider ourselves genuine promotion contenders, we should be winning games like that, especially at home. Zohore isn't playing like the guy who was up front for the first 5 games, wonder if his agent is in his ear, hence Warnocks comments towards him yesterday

Yes to be serious contenders, you have to win these home games.

Zohore has now struggled for weeks, going to be interesting how Warnock handles it? ?

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:It is disappointing not to win your home games but so important we didn't lose. That's only one less this season and currently joint top. Excellent start to the season.

Of course Luke We don't want to lose, but over all we played not that well and we are now struggling and we scraped a draw, happy to get that in last min, but not happy over all.

I think part of the problem is expectation have been raised not only with the winning streak but also the way we performed. This is more like what was expected at the start of the season, this season is going to be a battle.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Love it. If we had the best goal difference we would be top and Leeds would be second without doubt. Joint top sounds better than third (goal difference does count). Can't fault you at all here, and I agree, joint top definitely sounds better.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Win away at a poor Sunderland team and this result will be ok :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:28 pm

We have played three very good sides , especially today,
We can't hide that Ken looks shit, it must be to do with the transfer talk.
Play ward next week,
We lacked energy today in our play in the first half , too many players have gone from 8 markings to 5 or 6.
No need to panic , it will turn around again.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Strange game as pace of game didn't change from start to finish from both sides (except last 4mins) wed just passed amongs themselves without threatening, did either side have a serious attempt on goal besides the goals? And poor Ken cannot be expected to do bugger all with back to goal 30/40 yrds out! What happened to the quick wide play from start season ?
Last edited by pembroke allan on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:32 pm

On a positive note it's only one defeat in eight games for Cardiff City :bluebird:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Strange game as pace of game didn't change from start to finish from both sides (except last 4mins) wed just passed amongs themselves without threatening, did either side have a serious attempt on goal besides the goals? And poor Ken cannot be expected to do bugger all with back to goal 30/40 yrds out! What happened to the quick wide play from start season ?

I actually agree.
The game was crying out for Tomlin for some creativity for Zahore. Trouble was he came on with 8 minutes to go!
The problem in the first half was we couldn't get the ball, Wednesday kept it so well without actually threatening too much.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Agree we weren't at the races again today but we picked up a point

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Strange game as pace of game didn't change from start to finish from both sides (except last 4mins) wed just passed amongs themselves without threatening, did either side have a serious attempt on goal besides the goals? And poor Ken cannot be expected to do bugger all with back to goal 30/40 yrds out! What happened to the quick wide play from start season ?

I actually agree.
The game was crying out for Tomlin for some creativity for Zahore. Trouble was he came on with 8 minutes to go!
The problem in the first half was we couldn't get the ball, Wednesday kept it so well without actually threatening too much.

Wouldn't be surprised if stats show 65% possession to Wed but did nothing with it reminds me of Swansea 3/4rs ago sideways and backwards and score of 1 chance!

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Have to disagree with the headline a bit,im more disappointed with the performance more than the result.
Some changes needed for next week!

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I predicted a draw before the match, and happy with that result. Sheffield Wednesday have been up there the last couple of seasons and I’ll be surprised if they don’t make top six at least.

Encouraging that we got a result when not playing well, and a team that’s battling until the last seconds.

We are level on points with the league leaders, and not many would have expected that after eight games.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 pm

PtB wrote:2-1 would have landed me £567 :roll:

We deserved to win imo unlucky mate, we had so many chances to shoot and delayed!!!

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:04 pm

i must be wrong because it looks so bleeding obvious to me.

Teams have sussed you can't give kenny space so double up and smoother him. The two wing forwards are far far too far form him and the notional "10" are fly weights.

Ward must start in a 442 with Kenny and drop the 10. We need to change it so we don't become predictable. Mendez can play a midfield wing so can all the others.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Its plain for anyone to see that Zohore is struggling, don't know whether its a slight injury, lack of confidence or agent in his ear, but he isn't putting the same commitment in as he was for the first five games. We have a squad for a reason and Danny Ward is a decent replacement. We have nothing to lose at the moment as Zohore hasn't looked liked scoring.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:21 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think part of the problem is expectation have been raised not only with the winning streak but also the way we performed. This is more like what was expected at the start of the season, this season is going to be a battle.

More than happy with one defeat in our last 8 games Luke :thumbright: but don't happy with last 3 performances.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Let's be honest, Zohore is simply returning to the player he was before Warnock somehow got a super spell of form out of him at the back end of last season and start of this one. The poor first touch, the lack of any threat, back to goal, not getting in front of his man when waiting for a cross in the box - we're seeing more of his usual level of form, sadly. If anyone had paid £20m for him, THIS is the player they would have been signing. Quite how Warnock gets the best out of him again is a mystery, but if anyone can do it, Warnock can. Zohore clearly is capable, but the guy needs to motivate HIMSELF to reach those levels, not rely on his manager to seemingly have to do it all the time.

As for the game, I thought we chased the ball for 15 minutes at the start, and Wednesday looked the best team that had come to us yet. After that, I thought we contained them well, and in truth they never really threatened besides that one time they scored. Annoyingly, Gunnar clocked that Hooper was unmarked TWICE when he was near him in the box just prior to that cross, but never got close to him, leading to us concending from the free header.

Second half was all us, until we seemingly ran out of steam and appeared to lose some belief. Zohore didn't look like he was even trying, Morrison's concentration seemed elsewhere at times, and the back line were never in any rush to close the gap with our attack when we were in their half. Just lazy, to be honest.

Warnock, as much as I love him, once again made his changes too late. Yes, they brightened up our performance when they came on, but had those substitutes had more than 10 minutes, I really think they could've grabbed us more than the one goal.

One last note on Zohore: he was tightly marked by Wednesday and given very little room to do anything. Ward got the same treatment, but he actually helped create things through his sheer energy and passion. Ward might not have the skills that Zohore clearly has locked away, but he's got a better footballing mind, for me.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Left the stadium grinning like a mouse in a cheese shop....had 3 quid on Bamaba anytime @ 17:1 and he got us out of jail albeit a little late on for comfort

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:22 pm

:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.