Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Can someone with refereeing experience put me right?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:05 am

Shirt pulling and hands all over a players head - is it aloud or not? And when I say shirt pulling I mean enough to visually seeing it being pulled 50-100 metres away in the crowd. I counted it happening about 20 odd times to us and nothing was given. Yeah ok we do the same at times but not a fraction of the amount that I see it happening against us!

Re: Can someone with refereeing experience put me right?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:21 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Shirt pulling and hands all over a players head - is it aloud or not? And when I say shirt pulling I mean enough to visually seeing it being pulled 50-100 metres away in the crowd. I counted it happening about 20 odd times to us and nothing was given. Yeah ok we do the same at times but not a fraction of the amount that I see it happening against us!

ive noticed this for a few years now..its Vincent Tans fault.
he hates shirt pulling and during his first year at the club purchased a set of training bibs that leave off a mild electric shock when grabbed..new signings {who are used to doing it at their previous clubs} get to play in the non electric bibs ..
after a couple of days of mild electrification its found that their shirt pulling habit has reduced by some 70%
so yes correct we do far less shirt pulling than our opponents
i believe NW is doing his best to talk VT into ditching the idea though.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:04 am

Ref needs to be 5yrds away before he can see incidents hear they are sponsored by Specsavers next season like their rugby counterparts! :laughing6:

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:14 am

I was lucky enough to referee to a very good standard for a number of years. In years gone by, unless you literally took the shirt of the players back, it was a case of ' give and take' especially in the penalty area. Since Shawcross took this to new lengths and Mike Dean started to consistently penalise it, then referees Were asked to consider this as a penalty more often than not. We were told we would see more penalties for this offence this season, but since week 1 or 2, things have just gone back to normal, or, in other words, there is now just as much inconsistency in this area as ever.

One thing about Lee Probert yesterday, that I do very much like ( after being a fierce critic of him in the past) is his man management, and his ability to be very calm when making the big calls. I was left in no doubt yesterday that he was fair and consistent to both teams. Yes, on another day we could have had a pen or two, but they were hardly nailed on, and I would not have been surprised if we had been given them and vice verse.

A very good ref in my opinion.