Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

To be honest Sheffield Wednesday deserved the three points

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:00 am

Even though Sheffield Wednesday should have won the game it was a frustrating performance from us. What I will take out from the game is that we didn't stop trying. I said to my mate "I'll take a point" just before we had the free kick. I sensed we were going top score from the free kick by the way, as Tomlin was eyeing it up. As I said, Wednesday to be fair deserved three points and we live to fight another day. Should we go up, its our form that will get us there! Well done city fans, support was fantastic again yesterday. Never stopped believing we could get something out of the game :bluescarf:

Re: To be honest Sheffield Wednesday deserved the three poin

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 am

Martin, honesty is not allowed on here sometimes :lol:

I agree we should feel lucky we gained a point from the game and Wednesday will feel hard done by, but that's football :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 am

So we had 16-8 shots and 8-2 on target and we were lucky ?

First half they dominated possession and created next to nothing. Mainly because they kept the ball in their own half.

2nd half we pushed up the pitch 10 yards, stopped their back passes and were well worth on top and created chance after chance.

Well worth the point and had the goal come 10 minutes earlier would probably have gone on to win.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

Totally agree with the last post.
They only scored because gunnarson was out of position too. Allowed the player to run and have a one on one and get the cross in.
Wednesday look nice one the all but create nothing

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am

cardiff 74 wrote:Even though Sheffield Wednesday should have won the game it was a frustrating performance from us. What I will take out from the game is that we didn't stop trying. I said to my mate "I'll take a point" just before we had the free kick. I sensed we were going top score from the free kick by the way, as Tomlin was eyeing it up. As I said, Wednesday to be fair deserved three points and we live to fight another day. Should we go up, its our form that will get us there! Well done city fans, support was fantastic again yesterday. Never stopped believing we could get something out of the game :bluescarf:

no..Wednesday were stopped from carrying out their game plan,
we are hardly playing champagne football but those boys put in a real shift..stifled what looked like a decent team and fought until the very last kick..
there is more than one way to skin a cat and Warnock is a master cat skinner.{ you only need to read other clubs message boards to figure his teams do what it takes not what looks nice }.. its time our fans caught up with this notion instead of expecting 60%pos.tricks and wonder goals.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am

Pretty football by wed but can anyone recall ethrington actually saving a shot or having one to save even? Not sure if playing possession football inside own half counts as deserving of win. :o

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 am

pembroke allan wrote:Pretty football by wed but can anyone recall ethrington actually saving a shot or having one to save even? Not sure if playing possession football inside own half counts as deserving of win. :o

thats what they were restrcted too...BY US.
Etherington btw came out to close down Fletcher half way through 2nd half, timed it spot on, gave him zero to aim at .so he missed what ive seen described as an open goal..?
making a player miss is much better than being glued to your line and attempting the camera saves.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:19 am

Sheff Wed deserved the win and were better than us. I would say however, that our effort and industry in the second half, albeit in fits and starts merited a point for us. It would have been absolute daylight robbery had we win!!!

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:26 am

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Pretty football by wed but can anyone recall ethrington actually saving a shot or having one to save even? Not sure if playing possession football inside own half counts as deserving of win. :o

thats what they were restrcted too...BY US.
Etherington btw came out to close down Fletcher half way through 2nd half, timed it spot on, gave him zero to aim at .so he missed what ive seen described as an open goal..?
making a player miss is much better than being glued to your line and attempting the camera saves.

Quite agree just dont see how a team can be deserving of win with pretty but non effective football, while a team fighting to the end despite maybe not playing well grab an equaliser last kick game didn't deserve it? :o

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 am

For me our performance was frustrating because no matter how hardwe tried certain things just didn't come off when we where on the attack but as i always say it's better to draw the game than lose it this could be a vital point in months to come :bluescarf:

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:46 am

Wednesday were the better team first half, I thought we were the better second half and us battling to the very end got us the point we deserved.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:30 pm

To say another team may have been better than us is strictly prohibited on here. We are always the better team, and if we fail to win there must be some sort of sinister circumstances involved, usually the ref. We could lose 8-0, and many on here would blame the ref or put it down to bad luck. ;)

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:49 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:For me our performance was frustrating because no matter how hardwe tried certain things just didn't come off when we where on the attack but as i always say it's better to draw the game than lose it this could be a vital point in months to come :bluescarf:

our performance was frustrating them too..
when your restricting your opponents to meaningless passes in their own half. its you thats achieving your goals not them..
i think technically man for man they were better. . for carrying out your game plan {especially 2nd half } we were better.
at the end of the day if the result was decided by judges we would have lost.. but its not strictly its football.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:To say another team may have been better than us is strictly prohibited on here. We are always the better team, and if we fail to win there must be some sort of sinister circumstances involved, usually the ref. We could lose 8-0, and many on here would blame the ref or put it down to bad luck. ;)

They were by far the better playing side despite posing little or no threat to us? but does that mean they deserved the points more than a side who battled until last second?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:To say another team may have been better than us is strictly prohibited on here. We are always the better team, and if we fail to win there must be some sort of sinister circumstances involved, usually the ref. We could lose 8-0, and many on here would blame the ref or put it down to bad luck. ;)

They were by far the better playing side despite posing little or no threat to us? but does that mean they deserved the points more than a side who battled until last second?

Not really just on about yesterday Allan, more our defeats and draws in general. I was unable to get there yesterday, and was generalising rather than talking about the Sheff W match. What I've noticed, and I expect you have as well, is that nearly every time we fail to win, it is nearly always down to the ref rather than the our opponents being better than us. Keep your eye on the comments made here whenever things don't go our way, I guarantee that it will usually be down to the ref.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Not really just on about yesterday Allan, more our defeats and draws in general. I was unable to get there yesterday, and was generalising rather than talking about the Sheff W match. What I've noticed, and I expect you have as well, is that nearly every time we fail to win, it is nearly always down to the ref rather than the our opponents being better than us. Keep your eye on the comments made here whenever things don't go our way, I guarantee that it will usually be down to the ref.

Steve Yes its very true but on otherside of the equation how many times have we won a game only for our fans to say other team were crap Not that we made them look crap? As for refs standards are quite poor generally and alll fans blame ref for a defeat. :laughing6:

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:32 pm

I don't think they did. First half they had so much possession but not many chances.
They played the ball around well, got in our faces, but I thought second half we matched them.
They really didn't create much in front of goal, so I think we deserved our point for keeping going.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 pm

A typical game of 2 halves, they bossed the first and we bossed the second. You could sense we were going to get something as we had wave after wave of attacking play. If only Ward and Tomlin were brought on maybe 10-15 minutes earlier I honestly think we might have won it. :bluescarf: