Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Norwich Fan Broken Jaw/ Attacked from Behind '

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:00 pm

' Norwich Fan Broken Jaw/ Attacked from Behind '

' NORWICH FANS ATTACKED FROM BEHIND BY SHEFFIELD UNITED FANS '

Norwich City fan John Carver speaks of horror after broken jaw in Bramall Lane violence after Sheffield United game

Norwich Media

18 September 2017

John Carver, 55, of Bowthorpe, suffered a broken jaw in an incident after the Norwich City FC away game at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane ground. Picture: Courtesy John Carver

A Norwich City fan has told of his horror at the moment he blacked out and was knocked to the ground when leaving Bramall Lane.

Norwich City fans reported they were attacked after gave against Sheffield United.

John Carver, 55, of Bowthorpe, suffered a broken jaw after he was attacked from behind in an outburst of violence after the Canaries’ 1-0 away win against Sheffield United on Saturday.

And the pain is not over for Mr Carver, who was due at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on Monday morning for an operation to have a plate and a screw put into his jaw to set it.

Mr Carver, who works in the mail room at Aviva, said: “I was coming out of the ground talking to my mate about the match and next thing I knew I was waking up with a paramedic over me.

“My mate said someone had come at me from behind and hit me - I never saw it coming.”

MORE: South Yorkshire Police admit that the two arrested ‘Norwich fans’ were actually from Sheffield

After the paramedic gave first-aid, Mr Carver - keen to return home - got back on the fan bus to Norfolk and his wife took him to the NNUH, where an x-ray revealed his jaw was broken.

He said yesterday he was still in severe pain, unable to eat and unsure when he would be able to return to work.

City supporters claim to have been targeted by rival fans as they left the ground, and two people were allegedly hospitalised in Sheffield.

South Yorkshire Police initially said they had arrested two Norwich fans, but later admitted they had made a mistake and that the men arrested were from Sheffield. The police were criticised for their slow response to the violence, and Mr Carver said he was appalled at what happened. He said: “It’s terrible. Those sort of people shouldn’t be anywhere near a football ground.

“I spoke to the police and hopefully they’re going to find it on CCTV and get the guy who did it.”

Fellow City fan Mark Francis, 50, from Wreningham, was also caught up in the violence when leaving the ground.

Mr Francis said he suffered a blow to the side of the head in the incident.

He said: “I saw one guy was getting punched and attacked by four or five people. There were no police there initially, and then the stewards started to step in and break it up. They blocked us back into the exit so we were on the inside and the Sheffield fans were on the outside. They were like pack animals. It was unpleasant and unnecessary.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Norwich Fan Broken Jaw '

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Wait till Cardiff go there this one went off big time last time we played them on a Sat.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:17 pm

That's the second time this season - They also kicked off at Boro if I remember correctly.

What kind of normal person would want to attack a 50 year old Norwich fan? They have to be among the friendliest fans in the country.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour and no excuse for it.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 am

TERRYB wrote:Wait till Cardiff go there this one went off big time last time we played them on a Sat.

Cpl times its gone off there ;)

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 am

Horrible little club from my experience!! Went there 9-10 years ago when they attacked a supporters coach with kids on!!

They were picking off Cardiff fans at the end of the game and the police did nothing until Cardiff fans started to defend themselves, then they would move in!!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:50 am

Mikey27 wrote:Horrible little club from my experience!! Went there 9-10 years ago when they attacked a supporters coach with kids on!!

They were picking off Cardiff fans at the end of the game and the police did nothing until Cardiff fans started to defend themselves, then they would move in!!

Possibly explains why their police are so heavy-handed (amongst the worse I have ever experienced)? :? :(

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 am

TERRYB wrote:Wait till Cardiff go there this one went off big time last time we played them on a Sat.

They like hiding in the graveyard :D

Re: ' Norwich Fan Broken Jaw/ Attacked from Behind '

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 am

NORWICH FAN GKEN MURPHY:

Took my brother to his first away game, 14th or 15th birthday.
He was wearing a SHIRT, but that didn't stop one dickhead trying to swing at him for f**k all! When I fronted him, I was surrounded by loads on them (i was 17 or 18). walking back to sheff station in a police cordon, we walked behind a beer garden, we were pelted with bottles and loads of kids got cut up. Shaff united 'lads' seem to have a rep for having a pop at anyone, kid wearing a replica shirt or not