OFF TOPIC “ BORIS JOHNSON TO RESIGN?? “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

The New Statesman

Tuesday 19th September 2017

The Foreign Secretary is against paying permanently for single market access.

1C05548A-E324-4854-A445-6837A0BFDCB2.jpeg
1C05548A-E324-4854-A445-6837A0BFDCB2.jpeg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 1987 times

It turns out Boris Johnson’s 4,000 word piece in the Telegraph on Friday on his post-Brexit “vision” is exactly what we thought it was: a threat cushioned by patriotic fluff. Which is a good way of describing the man himself, really.

Because the same paper has just published an exclusive story that the Foreign Secretary will resign from cabinet before the weekend if Theresa May doesn’t follow his desired plan for Brexit.

He wants to put pressure on May not to follow the “EEA minus” option, which would see the UK paying the EU permanently for access to the single market and other benefits. The Telegraph reports that he “could not live with” that arrangement and would quit.

Johnson is trying to distance himself from the story, which allies are calling “nonsense” and blaming on his enemies, suggesting they’re spreading it as revenge against his Telegraph essay.

This is the problem for Johnson. His intervention was co-ordinated with the same paper, which now has an exclusive on his resignation threat. Anyone watching his mischief-making over the weekend would assume it had come from him. Then again, his enemies would know that, too.

But the Prime Minister has a bigger problem. She is about to make a set-piece speech in Florence on Friday, outlining the government’s approach to Brexit. She was planning on showing a draft to cabinet on Thursday.

Up against a Tory party and cabinet divided over how hard or soft Brexit should be, it was always going to be a difficult task. With the threat of a high-profile cabinet resignation, it will be even harder. It shines the light on ideological divisions that she hoped to push out of the way of conference season. With Brexit addressed in the Florence speech, she could have used Tory party conference to focus on domestic policy (ie. looking like a Prime Minister in control for a bit). Now, it’ll be all about the party’s divides – and leadership challengers.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: OFF TOPIC “ BORIS JOHNSON TO RESIGN?? “

Postby Steve since 62 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 pm

The guy is a total buffoon but he is well liked in the Tory party lol how anyone can vote for these clowns is madness
Steve since 62

Postby Sven » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Sadly, Boris Johnson is a large part of what's wrong with politics in this country today, i.e. an educated idiot that plays to the crowd regardless of his own beliefs. He waited to the very last politically advantageous minute on his decision to 'back' Brexit (it could have gone either way) and he is only beaten by 'Mr President' himself in his foolish rhetoric! :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:24 pm

The EU are negotiating free trade deals with AnzaC - why pay

Never mind lads, Vince Cable is waiting in the wings.
rumpo kid

Postby Steve since 62 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Can't be any worse than these clowns lol
Steve since 62

Postby Jock » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 am

Cable is more of a crank than Boris.
Jock

Postby Steve since 62 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 am

He can't be more of a crank than that clown lol impossible
Steve since 62

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:33 am

rumpo kid wrote:The EU are negotiating free trade deals with AnzaC - why pay

Never mind lads, Vince Cable is waiting in the wings.

And with a combined population of approaching 25 million its hardly gonna replace the EU trade deals eh.

If he's gonna resign he must think the PM's position is close to untenable but reading all of the article just reminded me of how alot of these politicians suffer from the "westminster bubble effect".Still,perhaps his popularity in London and the south-east will be enough to see him through.
Sneggyblubird

Postby SwampCCFC » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 am

it doesnt really matter if johnson leaves - we will move on and appoint someone else. he is entitled to his opinion, and has toned down alot of the crap since becoming foreign secretary.

if we don't get a favourable deal with the EU, businesses will be pragmatic and seek other markets for their goods / services. if tariffs make EU goods more expensive we will buy elsewhere. it may cause short term disruption, but in time we will forge closer links with other countries in the world. the reason we trade so much with the EU is the single market. we will rebalance if we get less favourable access to the EU market in the future (i.e. buy less from them, and they buy less from us).
SwampCCFC

Postby Fusilier23 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am

Why should he?......it is just his political opponents wanting to score goals.

They would love it if he resigned as they fear him more than they make out.

I do not just mean the Tories but also Labour. He has his faults but in most cases says what most "ordinary" people think.
10/01/15
The day normality was restored
Back to Blue
Fusilier23

Postby Fusilier23 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am

Steve since 62 wrote:He can't be more of a crank than that clown lol impossible

Cable is grasping at straws. I used to like him and what he said but yesterday I heard he wanted to form some sort of "Liberation Front" with Labour.....to do with an anti Brexit campaign.

The EU fears losing us that is why they are trying to make it so difficult for us to leave, that is the simple truth.
10/01/15
The day normality was restored
Back to Blue
Fusilier23

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:48 am

EU deals with Australia, New Zealand, and Canada are seperate. The point is, if the EU are negotiating free trade deals with these, its unlikely they're going to tell their biggest single trading partner to sod off...

We should be charging them.
rumpo kid

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:
The EU fears losing us that is why they are trying to make it so difficult for us to leave, that is the simple truth.

This is exactly my thinking.

All of the rhetoric about 'punishing' Britain is backs to the ropes desperation.

We are a fundamental building block of the EU and when we leave and prove it is possible to stand on our own two feet outside of the undemocratic, unelected and corrupt Federal States of Europe then we may well start the beginning of the end for the EU - the Eastern European Countries won't be far behind us for a start.

Juncker and Co know this and are pulling out all of the stops to scare us into a last minute submission.

It's a massive bluff, we hold a far better hand than they do and they know it. :wave:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am

Absolutely agree, all those unelected muppets in the the EU fear the collapse of their Nazi styled Europe commanded by one person and his Banking cronies.

I was never against the EU but their new vision for Europe is totally totalitarian and little countries will be just swamped. Countries like the UK will be used as dropping off points for mass umigration.Our troops will be used for all the dirty jobs because we are the only professional ones to be able to do it effectively.
Flags will be abolished and under an EU flag.

The biggest threat to world peace is an EU state and in the same breath it is also the break up of the EU......Things are going to get worse.
ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:

This is exactly my thinking.

All of the rhetoric about 'punishing' Britain is backs to the ropes desperation.

We are a fundamental building block of the EU and when we leave and prove it is possible to stand on our own two feet outside of the undemocratic, unelected and corrupt Federal States of Europe then we may well start the beginning of the end for the EU - the Eastern European Countries won't be far behind us for a start.

Juncker and Co know this and are pulling out all of the stops to scare us into a last minute submission.

It's a massive bluff, we hold a far better hand than they do and they know it. :wave:
1980s Bluebird

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:48 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:
Absolutely agree, all those unelected muppets in the the EU fear the collapse of their Nazi styled Europe commanded by one person and his Banking cronies.

I was never against the EU but their new vision for Europe is totally totalitarian and little countries will be just swamped. Countries like the UK will be used as dropping off points for mass umigration.Our troops will be used for all the dirty jobs because we are the only professional ones to be able to do it effectively.
Flags will be abolished and under an EU flag.

The biggest threat to world peace is an EU state and in the same breath it is also the break up of the EU......Things are going to get worse..

Your absolutely right on this - but perhaps one twisted bit of irony that may work in our favour is that unless there is a radical shift in policies across those Countries that hold the most power in the EU - they may well each find themselves too busy fighting their own internal political battles to keep on pushing forwards with EU domination.

With economies across Southern Europe crumbling how much longer can Germany and France subsidise things - Spain, Portugal, Italy all have pretty weak and fragile economies, The Greeks will be paying off the interest on their debt for generations.

On top of this Swedish society is rapidly collapsing in on itself under the weight of mass immigration of unskilled workers on welfare so they'll be no help. The Netherlands is already the next in line to leave (Perhaps we should call it Nexit!) so don't count on them either.

Luxembourg are no mugs financially and whilst being an insanely wealthy country per capita they've a similar sized population to Bristol so can't see them propping folks up. The other mega rich European country, Switzerland decided that they didn't want membership anymore so withdrew their application stating that 'only a few lunatics still want to join the EU'.

Belgium will probably chip in a bit and do make good chocolate - but I don't think it will help poor Germany out too much.

Meanwhile the Eastern European states like Hungary, Poland, Latvia etc have actually been under communist rule before and know first hand it is not a good thing and can see a communist wolf in an EU sheep's clothing from a mile off - so I don't think there'll be much support from that side either.

Also add into the mix that the EU leadership have genuinely become overconfident, complacent and arrogant and I think Junker has shown his cards too soon in terms of his end game for Europe.

His recent anti-UK rhetoric shows his how afraid he is and his State of the Union address - with open talk of an all powerful unelected EU President, presiding over an increasingly militarised EU and with one common currency (making everyone equally poor) was a BIG mistake - there will be a lot of people across the continent starting to realise that this vision of the EU that Juncker is painting isn't what they signed up for.

Maybe it's cos i'm a half full glass kind of guy but I think the EU will eventually fail and the sooner it does the sooner we can get on with rebuilding Europe - but as you rightly say - it is likely to be a long and painful path.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby WelshPatriot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 am

He's right though, call him a buffoon or whatever the fact is smaller trading countries have negotiated free trade deals without paying out.
It's obvious that the EU needs our business. Senior businessmen in Germany have made that clear to merkel. Now is the time to show we won't be walked over in negotiations.
WelshPatriot

Return to General Chat