Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED ' JOE LEDLEY SIGNS FOR CHAMPIONSHIP CLUB '

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am

' UPDATED '

JOE LEDLEY FINDS A NEW CLUB

Joe Ledley Signs for Championship club Derby County

20th September 2017

Joe Ledley to sign for Derby County today as Wales star finally finds a new club

Ledley has been without a club since leaving Crystal Palace in the summer

Joe Ledley: Derby County set for talks with Wales midfielder
BBC Sport

Derby County are set to hold talks with out-of-contract midfielder Joe Ledley.

The Wales international is available to sign outside the transfer window as a free agent.

The 30-year old has been without a club since leaving Crystal Palace after three years at Selhurst Park.

Ledley has turned down offers from abroad with the player saying he has 'no idea' where he will end up, but that he did not mind if his next club was outside the Premier League.

Wales boss Chris Coleman picked Ledley in the squad for Wales' World Cup qualifiers earlier this month, but he did not feature in either game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST TALK ON JOE LEDLEY

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 am

Joe Ledley? I'd rather Derby County opted for youth players, say fans
By Kerry Ganly

Rams fans unsure that a move for Welsh international would be good

Derby County supporters believe that the Rams should opt for youth in midfielder rather than swoop for experienced Welsh international Joe Ledley.

Ledley, a free agent following his release from Crystal Palace at the end of last season, has been linked with Derby County this week.

Gary Rowett's side are a little short of options in the middle of the park following the departure of Will Hughes in the summer and the subsequent loan moves of Craig Bryson, Timi Elsnik and Jacob Butterfield.

Add to this the collapsed move for Maikel Kieftenbeld - and it's no wonder that Derby have been linked with a player who has made more than 500 club appearances.

Our chief football writer Steve Nicholson has been weighing up the options of a move for the 30-year-old.

And Rams fans have been having their say, too on the Derby Telegraph website and our Facebook page.

Bravestar7 wrote: "Invest in youth players like (Callum) Guy, (Max) Bird to add energy and mobility. The other option would be to switch formation to a 5-3-2 which adds an extra body in midfield (possibly Tom Lawrence playing ACM) and another centre back behind them for extra cover and this would still allow Vydra to play in a two up top."

Brisbanefan agrees with giving the young Rams a chance to shine. "We should bring in Guy & Bird to add another midfielder with energy to help Huddlestone."

Rams1977 added: "Not worth it. He will take about as long as (George) Thorne to get match fit and I know who I'd rather have."

IntrepidFox believes that this season is all about rebuilding at Derby County: "Accept this year is about dismantling and rebuilding. Not keen on a panic buy.

"If he wasn't for us, or we weren't for him over the summer, then the same stands. Reassess in January whether we bring in another midfielder, recall someone on loan, and see how Thorne is doing. We are nowhere near surviving in the premier, and scraping up through the playoffs won't help us. So build a serious squad of players young enough to go with us."

Should Derby County sign Joe Ledley? Voting so far: Yes - 54% No - 46%

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 am

strange one for me that he turned down what would have no doubt been big money in china or turkey. he's now in talks with derby county. why the hell would he want to play there?

as with robson kanu, i believe if a limited player gets a huge offer at a late stage of their career, they should take the money, as they will never be good enough to earn that here. i personally don't see the attraction of scrapping it out at derby but what do i know!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 am

SwampCCFC wrote:strange one for me that he turned down what would have no doubt been big money in china or turkey. he's now in talks with derby county. why the hell would he want to play there?

as with robson kanu, i believe if a limited player gets a huge offer at a late stage of their career, they should take the money, as they will never be good enough to earn that here. i personally don't see the attraction of scrapping it out at derby but what do i know!

The whole Ledley saga has been a little confusing over the summer tbh and whilst I don't think a return to Cardiff City would have been good, I do want him to sort something out soon for the sake of both his club and international careers

Rumours about 'why' he hasn't been snapped up to date are many but it appears from those close to him that a huge part was/is a desire to return his family to home territory in or around Cardiff and that is seemingly backed up by his purchase of a lovely new home in Penarth :thumbright:

Not a reason to 'accept' him back at the CCS in my eyes (it has to suit/benefit both parties) but that's not to say that I don't wish him the best in what remains of his career. Only Joe (and his family/advisors) will know the logic behind his thinking this summer and it may well pan out nicely but my impression is that he's called it wrong and he's now in a precarious state of flux that might well affect his club and international career plus a potential trip to the big event in Russia next summer!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 am

Ledley's shite, he's always been overated and treated our club like dirt.

A few of our fans swoon over him cause he's Welsh but forget he mugged us off.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Sven wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:strange one for me that he turned down what would have no doubt been big money in china or turkey. he's now in talks with derby county. why the hell would he want to play there?

The whole Ledley saga has been a little confusing over the summer tbh and whilst I don't think a return to Cardiff City would have been good, I do want him to sort something out soon for the sake of both his club and international careers

Rumours about 'why' he hasn't been snapped up to date are many but it appears from those close to him that a huge part was/is a desire to return his family to home territory in or around Cardiff and that is seemingly backed up by his purchase of a lovely new home in Penarth :thumbright:

Not a reason to 'accept' him back at the CCS in my eyes (it has to suit/benefit both parties) but that's not to say that I don't wish him the best in what remains of his career. Only Joe (and his family/advisors) will know the logic behind his thinking this summer and it may well pan out nicely but my impression is that he's called it wrong and he's now in a precarious state of flux that might well affect his club and international career plus a potential trip to the big event in Russia next summer!

MONEY....... Derby been flashing the cash? IMO.

Re: " LATEST TALK ON JOE LEDLEY "

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Hooray he's not coming to City. Disappear Ledley you traitor. :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:08 pm

The simple answer is that nobody else seems interested in him and at his age he needs one last contract.
Derby is as good as anywhere as he's not going to make the Prem that's for sure.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Derby County are set to hold talks with former Crystal Palace and Cardiff midfielder Joe Ledley, according to reports by the BBC.

The 30-year-old has been a free agent since his contract expired with the Eagles in June, with no summer deal materialising for the Welsh international.

However Derby are now willing to sit down and thrash out terms with the player, who is eligible to sign outside of the transfer window due to his status as a non-contracted player.

The Cardiff born man has over 500 appearances to his name since he made his debut with hometown club Cardiff City in 2004, including 73 caps for the Welsh national team.

A box-to-box midfielder with the ability to get onto the score-sheet, Derby boss Gary Rowett appears keen to add the player’s services to his already talented roster.

The Rams have endured a disappointing start to the new campaign, and lie in 15th place with just three wins from their opening seven fixtures, including a heavy 4-1 defeat to Bristol City in their last encounter.

The Verdict

The signing of Ledley is exactly the boost Derby need right now, and it is a real surprise that Rowett did not swoop for the player sooner.

The experienced midfielder will be a welcome addition to the squad at Pride Park, and should slot seamlessly into the middle of the park alongside the likes of Bradley Johnson and Tom Huddlestone.

Derby have an impressive squad on paper and need to start turning their talent into results, and the recruitment of Ledley will only help their promotion chase this term.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Joe Ledley to sign for Derby County today as Wales star finally finds a new club

Ledley has been without a club since leaving Crystal Palace in the summer

Re: UPDATED ' JOE LEDLEY SIGNS FOR CHAMPIONSHIP CLUB '

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Wonder what reception hell get a week Saturday? I think Sven might run on the pitch in a celtic-esque fan attack and give him a few digs!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 pm

nubbsy wrote:Wonder what reception hell get a week Saturday? I think Sven might run on the pitch in a celtic-esque fan attack and give him a few digs!

doesnt he like Ledley..??

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 pm

nubbsy wrote:Wonder what reception hell get a week Saturday? I think Sven might run on the pitch in a celtic-esque fan attack and give him a few digs!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack, I'll not forget the way he left but away from our club I wish him all the best. He chose his route and now he's seeing the downside of his original actions! ;) :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:58 pm

So, they lend an experienced Championship midfielder to us, and then sign another midfielder who no one else appears to want. There’s more to this than meets the eye, but I’m not sure what. Is Ledley an upgrade on Bryson? :shock:

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

bluebird58 wrote:So, they lend an experienced Championship midfielder to us, and then sign another midfielder who no one else appears to want. There’s more to this than meets the eye, but I’m not sure what. Is Ledley an upgrade on Bryson? :shock:

Sheffield Wednesday inquired about loaning Bryson...Derby wanted to loan winnall in reteurn, Wednesday refuse..
then Wednesday loan butterfield off Derby { another midfield player } and actually get Winnall on loan in return..
then Derby loan us Bryson on the strength of signing Kieftenbeld from Birmingham only they dont get the paperwork through to the E.F.L in time.. therefore 1 midfielder less than they though...enter Ledders

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Sven wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack, I'll not forget the way he left but away from our club I wish him all the best. He chose his route and now he's seeing the downside of his original actions! ;) :ayatollah:

Be interesting to see if he makes a Derby team. They've got a really deep squad last time I checked!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Average Player at best - Does an alright Job for Wales - As others have said, the way he left the club should be enough for us not to go after him again under any circumstances

Good Luck in his new venture.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:52 pm

That beard is not nice

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Slow, technically limited, probably over rated by city fan but with a great attitude, die for the cause coupled with a dapper long un kept beard so gets "cult" status..........Did we need another ?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:48 pm

dogfound wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:So, they lend an experienced Championship midfielder to us, and then sign another midfielder who no one else appears to want. There’s more to this than meets the eye, but I’m not sure what. Is Ledley an upgrade on Bryson? :shock:

Sheffield Wednesday inquired about loaning Bryson...Derby wanted to loan winnall in reteurn, Wednesday refuse..
then Wednesday loan butterfield off Derby { another midfield player } and actually get Winnall on loan in return..
then Derby loan us Bryson on the strength of signing Kieftenbeld from Birmingham only they dont get the paperwork through to the E.F.L in time.. therefore 1 midfielder less than they though...enter Ledders

Christ well done keeping track of all that mate!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:12 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Christ well done keeping track of all that mate!

i read an article by Derbys manager about a week ago..headline ..Butterfield wasnt the first midfielder Weds enquired about.
the midfielder short bit ,i added.
really dont understand why Wednesday were not willing to swap Winnall for Bryson { their first choice }. but later swapped hin for Butterfield....strange game on times

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Slow, technically limited, probably over rated by city fan but with a great attitude, die for the cause coupled with a dapper long un kept beard so gets "cult" status..........Did we need another ?

Will he ever get fit again, how many days will he stay injury free ?

Nice chap, but past his best and injury prone........

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 pm

rossblue wrote:That beard is not nice

Looks like a f*cking tramp.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:53 pm

I doubt very much he'll make the team.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:17 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

I doubt very much he'll make the team.

you might well be correct ,signed until January, and might take weeks to just get fit.
is this really what he has been hanging out for..having apparently turned down all these foreign offers..?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Good - He has found himself a club so we can put this one to bed ;)

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Good - He has found himself a club so we can put this one to bed ;)

Sadly, only until the Chrimbo Transfer Window, Tony. Then it'll all start again! :( :cry:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:31 am

LEDLEY COMPLETES DERBY MOVE

Derby have signed Wales international Joe Ledley on a free transfer.

The 30-year-old midfielder, who left Crystal Palace at the end of last season after his contract expired, joins the Sky Bet Championship side on a deal until January.

Ledley will be available to train with his new team-mates on Thursday and could make his debut against Birmingham on Saturday.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:03 am

dogfound wrote:

So, basically they were desperate and Joe is better than nothing. Bet he feels good about that! ;)

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:13 am

Just spoken to a Derby season ticket holder. The consensus is that the fans are completely underwhelmed by the signing. I still think he can do a job at this level.

Let's see what happens a week Saturday. :bluescarf: