Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK SHOCKS REPORTERS WITH THE ANSWER " NO "

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Neil Warnock's surprising answer when asked if he wants to manage Cardiff City in the Premier League
By Dominic Booth

Thursday 21st September 2017

The Cardiff City boss gave a rather surprising answer to this question, before lauding the Bluebirds fans

Neil Warnock has made no bones about his dream to take Cardiff City to promotion this season. :bluebird:

That has been his aim since he first took over the club in October last year, with the manager's bid for a record eighth promotion starting in fine style this season.

Cardiff have the same number of points as the Championship's league leaders, sitting third on goal difference with Wolves and Leeds United after a great start to the campaign.

' NEIL WARNOCK'S REVELATION SURPRISING.. '

Yet when asked if he fancied another crack at Premier League management, Warnock gave an eyebrow-raising answer.

"Not really, no," he told the Daily Mail.

"The Championship I absolutely love. We'll just play it by ear this season."

The answer stems from Warnock's desire to take things game by game with the Bluebirds. He's eager for his squad to challenge at the top of the Championship, but admits his age, 68, could mean the Premier League is a step too far.

The former Sheffield United and QPR boss spent some time away from the game while his wife was battling breast cancer.

But he's been re-energised by the Bluebirds after striking up a great rapport with the Cardiff fans.

He added: "Since Sharon's illness I don't look much further than the last three months. You'll have to ask me the question at Christmas or at the end of the season. I don't look beyond at the minute.

"Football is a great game and I've been in it nearly 50 years but you can't put a price on good health, happiness and family — I don't care who or what you are.

"You do have to get some priorities right in the game."

On that relationship with the Bluebirds supporters, he added: "I'm just going to do the best I can for them.

"I'm in a nice place now. I'm on my way to putting the pride back completely into the club and I think the club has relished my leadership - not just on the field of play but off it as well. We're united all over the show again now and that reflects in the club."

Whatever Neil decides to do, the fans owe him gratitude for the way he has put pride back into our club. Neil has the club all pulling together for the first time in years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK'S REVELATION SURPRISING...OR NOT?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 pm

No massive surprise for me to read this for all the reasons Neil Warnock states (age, family health and Championship comfort zone) and I admire him for being honest enough to say it. He clearly has ambitions for Cardiff City FC and we can count on him to do his utmost to achieve his record eighth promotion

As fans, we should be behind him all the way and Dominic Booth's last sentence says it all for me...

"Whatever Neil decides to do, the fans owe him gratitude for the way he has put pride back into our club. Neil has the club all pulling together for the first time in years."

:thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 pm

He has said that before and I don't believe it for a second, given the chance I have no doubt he would manage us in the prem.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm

A good honest answer and totally agree with him. :bluebird:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 pm

IF we went up this season, would definitely try and tempt him to stay and stick with him all the way though - If we then got relegated he would be the best man to take us back up again!

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 pm

he's out of his depth at PL level. he has simple tactics which are to get the ball forward to a big man up front, which is easily neutered at the top level.

where will we be left if we do get promoted with him as manager and he then leaves? i get that this would be a good problem to have, but we'd be left with a squad of his players, who are used to tactics that will not win games at that level.

the problem we have is that warnock doesnt need to succeed. that can in some ways also be a strength as he will not be feeling the pressure other managers who must succeed have. i expected him to leave at the end of last season and was surprised he signed to stay. we are very much taking it season by season, but i have been pleasantly surprised that he has actually made an effort to bring in some young players, so we should be in decent shape when he leaves.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:He has said that before and I don't believe it for a second, given the chance I have no doubt he would manage us in the prem.

i dont buy it either..had he said..yes im desperate to be back in the prem...would just line himself up....
as would including ourselves in any list top 6 challengers.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 pm

I think Warnock knows that there is virtually no chance of us going up any time soon. He has certainly steadied the ship, and hopefully will be able to lay the foundations for a reasonable future.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 pm

If im being honest i would part company with him as manager if we went up. Some people players and managers are just suited to certain leagues. Warnock is probably the best manager ever at this level and probably wont ever be matched.
Maybe a director of football/number 2 role in the premier league working with a young manager would suit him better if we went up.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 pm

If we did go up maybe Kevin Blackwell would get the job but I keep remembering back to what Happened when Slade went and Trollope came in. Don't think Bellamy is experienced enough. I think the club would have to go with someone who plays a similar brand of football and not do what they did before when they went from Malky Mackay to OGS. However If he left and we were still in the championship I think Nigel Clough would be a good option as he did well with Derby and brought in some really good players and was unfortunate to get sacked, and his work with Burton has been nothing short of remarkable.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Warnock gets us up then. Then get Pulis to keep us u,

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:If we did go up maybe Kevin Blackwell would get the job but I keep remembering back to what Happened when Slade went and Trollope came in. Don't think Bellamy is experienced enough. I think the club would have to go with someone who plays a similar brand of football and not do what they did before when they went from Malky Mackay to OGS. However If he left and we were still in the championship I think Nigel Clough would be a good option as he did well with Derby and brought in some really good players and was unfortunate to get sacked, and his work with Burton has been nothing short of remarkable.

craig bellamy is basically a poor mans roy keane. a gobshite with about 1/5 of keene's pedigree. he'll never make a good manager.

if the club have any sense, they will keep warnock as a consultant or in some advisory capacity. hopefully, this would mean as few footballing decisions being made by Tan and his crony buffoons as possible.

we did offer slade a director role, but this 'strategy' lasted a few weeks. who knows what tan will do?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Sven wrote:No massive surprise for me to read this for all the reasons Neil Warnock states (age, family health and Championship comfort zone) and I admire him for being honest enough to say it. He clearly has ambitions for Cardiff City FC and we can count on him to do his utmost to achieve his record eighth promotion

As fans, we should be behind him all the way and Dominic Booth's last sentence says it all for me...

"Whatever Neil decides to do, the fans owe him gratitude for the way he has put pride back into our club. Neil has the club all pulling together for the first time in years."

:thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy:

Chris, No surprise for me either, Neil Warnock is a Top Championship manager and if we fail to go up,I would rather he stays with us,than get another manager in.

Premier League, does not suit Warnock, all those big names/showing off etc

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I think Warnock knows that there is virtually no chance of us going up any time soon. He has certainly steadied the ship, and hopefully will be able to lay the foundations for a reasonable future.

Warnock would never have joined City if he thought that there was no chance of promotion, on the contrary, he came to us knowing that there was the potential, commitment,, and the ambition to achieve Premiership football at Cardiff City.

He's certainly not here to waste his time.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:41 pm

trotskie wrote:Warnock gets us up then. Then get Pulis to keep us u,

Anyone but OGS :roll:

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:09 am

trotskie wrote:Warnock gets us up then. Then get Pulis to keep us u,

Pulis is with the same player investment as last time virtually guarantees survival. Have to agree as much as I respect Warnock