Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

Who should start when both players are available for the First Team?

Lee Camp
79%
Neil Etheridge
21%

Total votes : 38

“ LEE CAMP OR NEIL ETHERIDGE? “

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Neil Etheridge has been the main man between the sticks for Cardiff City so far this season but he is now likely to face a significant challenge from the fit-again Lee Camp.

By Jamie Kemble

Thursday 21st September 2017

Philippines international Neil Etheridge has come in for some criticism of late; as described last week, while he isn’t in ‘Ben Amos territory’ just yet, he is living somewhat dangerously.

His performance away at Preston was poor but he also wasn’t helped by errors from the defensive unit as a whole. This wasn’t the first instance of goalkeeper-defence frailty: a similar incident led to a goal conceded against QPR in August.

For one reason or another, Etheridge hasn’t really been pressured by Brian Murphy so far. While Murphy seemed a step up from the inconsistent Amos last season, his lack of proficiency in distribution let him down.

The real catalyst for changing of the guard in goalkeeper terms is the recovery from injury of summer arrival Lee Camp. The Northern Ireland international had previously been out of the picture with injury.

Camp delivered an assured performance in 4-0 rout of Burnley in an U-23 game earlier this week to mark his comeback; the match also represented the return of Scottish defender Callum Paterson.

While the games against Sunderland and Leeds United may prove a little early for Camp in terms of actually starting, he could be in line for a substitute’s berth as long as this wouldn’t significantly conflict with his U-23 commitments.

The match against Derby County at home at the end of September could represent the first chance Cardiff City fans get to see Camp in first team starting action. If this doesn’t materialise then he is almost certain to be in contention after the next international break in early October.

Camp is highly unlikely to be in consideration for a recall to the Northern Ireland squad during the international window; his last international appearance came in 2012. This gives the Cardiff City coaching team more time to work with him during a lull in league activity.

Ultimately, Camp is the heir apparent of the goalkeepers jersey at the Cardiff City Stadium. Only a succession of dominant performances from the current incumbent Etheridge will change this course of action.

While this is not completely unfeasible, it is unlikely. Etheridge is doubtless a competent stopper, but boss Neil Warnock will be seeking a lift after losing ground in the promotion race. This could well come in the form of drafting in the likes of Camp and Paterson to sure the side up.

Re: “ LEE CAMP OR NEIL ETHERIDGE? “

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Lee Camp, for the love of god Lee Camp :lol:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Lee Camp :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Lee Lee, Lee Lee Camp :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Personally I am excited to see Lee Camp play for us, nothing to do with Neil Etheridge, as Camp was always our first choice :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Campo please right away

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Marshall please

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:36 pm

happy with Etheridge.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Etheridge is a good GK and a fine first choice. Great to see that Camp is fully fit and I look forward to seeing him play. Murphy also did very well for us too, very impressed with him so all good in the GK department.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 pm

dogfound wrote:happy with Etheridge.

I thought I replied to this, doesn't seem to have come up, I agree with you, not even up for debate for me.

We are joint top with this kid in goal, he has 3 clean sheets from 8 games, we have lost once, and by all accounts that was not his fault, not sure why you would drop him, do not get it at all :?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 pm

RV Casual wrote:

I thought I replied to this, doesn't seem to have come up, I agree with you, not even up for debate for me.

We are joint top with this kid in goal, he has 3 clean sheets from 8 games, we have lost once, and by all accounts that was not his fault, not sure why you would drop him, do not get it at all :?

different people like different types of keepers..
this guy isnt afraid to come out to collect or clear and the result of that is a mistake here and there. trouble is they are very visible mistakes... i did know once we had a keeper like this there would be far less super saves...far less the keeper saved us..down the pub after..less goals against..and more critics..
but its a minority view.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 pm

dogfound wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

different people like different types of keepers..
this guy isnt afraid to come out to collect or clear and the result of that is a mistake here and there. trouble is they are very visible mistakes... i did know once we had a keeper like this there would be far less super saves...far less the keeper saved us..down the pub after..less goals against..and more critics..
but its a minority view.

Yeah I here what your saying mate, over the years with Alexander and Marshall and even go back to Jon Hallworth and Tony Elliott they were all great shot stoppers who got criticized for not being commanding enough and bossing the area, for me as long as we continue to do well and he is doing ok he stays where he is, Lee Camp will have to wait for and take his opportunity when and if it arrives
Post a reply