Expert insight on the lowly Black Cats and why Cardiff City

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 am

Why are Sunderland struggling in the Championship and how can Cardiff City beat them?
Expert insight on the lowly Black Cats and why Cardiff City might find some joy at the Stadium of Light

BY DOMINIC BOOTH

23RD SEP 2017

Cardiff City will be looking to claim just their second win at Sunderland in 38 years when they travel to the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

A 2006 triumph, courtesy of a Michael Chopra's double, is the only time the Bluebirds have tasted victory on a barren run on Wearside.

Many Cardiff fans will have unhappy memories of that 2014 Premier League clash, when Connor Wickham's brace secured a 4-0 win for Sunderland, which left the Bluebirds' survival bid in ruins.

But the circumstances surrounding both clubs have changed significantly since then, with Sunderland now struggling and in the process of a squad overhaul after their limp relegation from the top tier last season.

Simon Grayson has been ushered in to do a firefighting job. Meanwhile Neil Warnock — a reported target for the Black Cats job in the summer — has turned around Cardiff's fortunes and is targeting promotion.

It means the Bluebirds, who are flying up to the north east to aid their match preparation, actually enter the clash with more than a fighting chance. Many bookmakers have Warnock's men down as favourites to end their three-match run without a win and return from Wearside with all three points.

"It's still quite difficult to make definitive judgements on what Grayson is looking to do with the team, and that's understandably caused some unrest amongst fans," he said.

"15 players left the club the summer, 10 came in, three of whom didn't arrive until deadline day.

"There's not been a great amount of cutting edge but that could begin to change as Aiden McGeady, Jonny Williams and Callum McManaman bed in. All three have looked excellent in patches. "

Everything Neil Warnock said in his Cardiff City press conference as boss discusses Zohore, Danny Ward and style of play
In terms of injuries for this match, both Marc Wilson and McGeady are doubts with Tyias Browning and George Honeyman ready to step into the side.

Phil added: "In defence, improvements are being made and the organisation is getting there, even if the kind of defensive errors that become commonplace in relegated sides haven't been shaken off."

And for boss Grayson, it's a case of managing expectations, with this weekend's clash with the Bluebirds a tough ask for the 21st-placed Black Cats.

The former Preston and Leeds United boss knows his opposite number Warnock well and is preparing his team for an attacking onslaught from Cardiff.

"Anybody can win a football match and anyone can lose one in this division," said Grayson.

"We know what Neil’s teams are about. They are hard-working, a threat going forward. But we have to have a belief in what we have got and go out and win the game.

"He’s a good character," added Grayson on Warnock.

"He is like Marmite, people like him or they don’t, but I have a lot of respect for Neil, for what he has done in the game.

"He is a typical Yorkshireman, who says it like it is, and has had success in his career by doing it his way. I’ll have a drink with him after the game but hopefully he is despondent and I am the happier of the managers this time."

With Sunderland without a home win in the league since December 2016, Cardiff might not find a better time to banish their Wearside demons and get back to winning ways.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat