Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " PLASTIC SUPPORTERS "

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:our natural fan base is about 15k - it has been for many years now. the only reason we had an unusually high attendance against leeds were the sheer number of fans who came for the cheap tickets. i remember paying about £18 in around 2009 and prices have not gone up a huge amount. tickets are reasonably priced here, bearing in mind other fans being ripped off.

the stadium is too big for a club of our size and fan base. even at PL level, after the novelty wore off we'd still only be at 21-23k IMO.

I think your right we are a much smaller club than I ever believed,despite around one million people living in Cardiff and with in 30miles.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:our natural fan base is about 15k - it has been for many years now. the only reason we had an unusually high attendance against leeds were the sheer number of fans who came for the cheap tickets. i remember paying about £18 in around 2009 and prices have not gone up a huge amount. tickets are reasonably priced here, bearing in mind other fans being ripped off.

the stadium is too big for a club of our size and fan base. even at PL level, after the novelty wore off we'd still only be at 21-23k IMO.

I think your right we are a much smaller club than I ever believed,despite around one million people living in Cardiff and with in 30miles.

yep - you're correct also when you say that people who will not pay £20 now will happily pay £35 in the PL.

that said, our average attendance in 2012/13 (championship) was over 22,000. our lowest was still over 20,000. again, in 2011/12 we had average of over 22,000. same in 2010/11.

a substantial number have lost interest because of the rebrand and tan. it will probably take a promotion to 'win back' a few thousand who no longer identify with the team.

the club can cut prices to try and rectify the damage, but the lack of support is all of their own doing. had we not been shat on with the rebrand, we would IMO still have at least 20k every week, to this day.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:05 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:Exactly the crowd I expected as I stated on another thread. Apart from a few who post on here, I don't know anyone else who expected us to have more than 20,000 yesterday. I couldn't afford it, simple as that, it would have been a £60+ day out for me, I went to the Pub instead. It wouldn't have made any difference to me if we were in the Premier League, 2 games a week no matter what the ticket price is not affordable for me at the present time.

How much did you spend in the pub?

A gallon of ale, so approx £25. A tenner on football bets, £35 total, great company and most of them in there were City fans like me.

Well it begs the question what kind of supporter are you? With adult tickets priced between £15 - £18 you could have easily have afforded a ticket but opted to blow £35 in the pub.
Let's be honest here that makes you a pretty crap "supporter" and dismisses your "can't afford it" argument.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Be interested to see what sort of crowds we would get if we stayed there for 3/4seasons.
Would we sell out every week or get crowds of 25000-30000 when we weren't playing the top six.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Jules wrote:And I suppose the ones calling people 'plastics' were all in Carlisle on a wet and windy Tuesday.

Get a grip FFS
If you have the cash to buy every ticket, fair play to you.
If you can afford to travel to every game, fair play to you.
But don't taunt people who haven't got your resources.

People really need to get over this 'we're a massive club' nonsense.

Have to agree with you.
There are probably a few of us on here who were at Ninian Park watching the likes of Exeter, Darlington etc with 3,000 other fans in the bad old days. That suggests that there are plenty of people moaning about plastic fans today who were not too enthusiastic about supporting us when we were going through some really bad times. You have to wonder how many of these self appointed mega fans who are fond of using the term plastics will still be around if the bad times return.

Spot on Steve, Christ I can remember being in Ninian Park and you could count the bloody people in there !!! Now, does that make me more of a fan than someone who picks their games ? NO.
:ayatollah:

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:People saying 2 games a week is to much and too expensive. So if we had played Man U on a Tuesday and Liverpool on Saturday at day £40 a ticket the ground would have been full for both games. So it throws that argument out.

No It doesn't mate.
People are saying they can't afford to go twice a week consistently.
If we were playing Man Utd & then Chelsea ( as I don't consider Liverpool a big club) then people would make exceptions and cut costs in other places IMO.
This is a one off occasion - If we were in the prem for years then eventually the novelty would wear off and the crowds would once again drop.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Pencoed wrote:Be interested to see what sort of crowds we would get if we stayed there for 3/4seasons.
Would we sell out every week or get crowds of 25000-30000 when we weren't playing the top six.

Just posted this one without reading yours.

First season - yes
Second Season - Possibly
Third season - not a hope in hell.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Jules wrote:And I suppose the ones calling people 'plastics' were all in Carlisle on a wet and windy Tuesday.

Get a grip FFS

Have to agree with you.
There are probably a few of us on here who were at Ninian Park watching the likes of Exeter, Darlington etc with 3,000 other fans in the bad old days. That suggests that there are plenty of people moaning about plastic fans today who were not too enthusiastic about supporting us when we were going through some really bad times. You have to wonder how many of these self appointed mega fans who are fond of using the term plastics will still be around if the bad times return.

The dynamic has totally changed. I went to Exeter, Torquay, the old Hull ground, Carlisle but don't go now. That doesn't make me a better fan than those who started following once we started getting a bit of success. Anyone who goes to any match I give full credit to. If they only go for the Cup Finals or Prem games they are still putting their money in. All credit to them.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:09 pm

maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Get a grip FFS

Have to agree with you.

The dynamic has totally changed. I went to Exeter, Torquay, the old Hull ground, Carlisle but don't go now. That doesn't make me a better fan than those who started following once we started getting a bit of success. Anyone who goes to any match I give full credit to. If they only go for the Cup Finals or Prem games they are still putting their money in. All credit to them.

A fan is a fan as far as I am concerned, and I don't understand this "I'm a better fan than you" thing that has sprung up in recent times. If you are lucky enough to have plenty of money, and have nothing else to do on match days, that's fair enough on good on you for supporting the club. Many fans have things like family commitments, play sports themselves, or simply don't have the money to attend every match, and can only attend when the opportunity allows them to. That does not make them any less of a fan than those who keep spouting this plastic fan nonsense. some of us are there every week, some of us attend whenever circumstances allow, nobody is a superior fan as far as I am concerned.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:10 pm

I am a Plastic supporter :bluescarf:

But I been supporting since early 70's when we had a book for the season tickets with vouchers but now I am plastic, I pay for my season ticket by plastic for the games to be loaded on to my plastic card, to sit in my plastic seat and half time have a pint from a plastic glass. :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm

BEAKERBLUE wrote:I am a Plastic supporter :bluescarf:

But I been supporting since early 70's when we had a book for the season tickets with vouchers but now I am plastic, I pay for my season ticket by plastic for the games to be loaded on to my plastic card, to sit in my plastic seat and half time have a pint from a plastic glass. :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We're ALL plastics these days, then! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I think plastic supporters is an awful term, we should want to build a fan base not label people who haven't been going as long as us and make an "us v them" type situation

I have many friends who I would call Cardiff fans, they follow football and their team is Cardiff, a lot of them go to a couple of games a season, it's just not their thing to go week in week out, they have other things to do. They started their own football team last year, some play rugby, some spend time doing other things and enjoy going to a few games a season, for others it is money, some of my mates still earn just over minimum wage

I'd say at least 10 of my close friends are Cardiff fans and there were times over the past 12 years I would go to a lot of games alone or with one of my mates. It makes them no less of a Cardiff fan, it's the first score they look for and want them to do well and of course when big games come along they will do everything they can to be there

I don't see anything wrong with that or why people feel they have a right to put others down about it and potentially put them off coming again. The casual fan who goes to the odd game makes certain games feel special, if we could sell it out week in week out great but we just don't have that interest at the moment

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I for one have never called them a plastic fan.

I am fully behind any City fan who watches us in the Championship or any division lower, but to just go down there once we are in the Premier League and then stop going the minute we are relegated, for me that is a Glory hunter.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I for one have never called them a plastic fan.

I am fully behind any City fan who watches us in the Championship or any division lower, but to just go down there once we are in the Premier League and then stop going the minute we are relegated, for me that is a Glory hunter.

Everyone's personal opinion is different, I'm sure that there were many who felt that those fans who started watching Cardiff when Sam took control of the club, were glory hunters and those that started watching us we when we reached the championship were glory hunters. I personally know loads of lads who went everywhere in the old third and forth division, who would not be interested now, until we got back in the Premiership.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Get a grip FFS

Have to agree with you.

i loved going to NP even when there was 3k and no atmosphere..my dream was that we would climb the leagues and have bigger attendances..the more the merrier....that seemed to be the attitude / dream of everyone back then..
blows my mind these newbies calling people plastics.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Stuff like this really gets on my nerves. I don't go to EVERY home game because i want to do other stuff on a Saturday afternoon/evening. I've had one season ticket in the 17 years i've been going to the City (2002/2003), i don't see how that makes me a "plastic supporter". I commend anyone who goes down week in week out home and away, but that doesn't make anyone like me less of a fan

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I for one have never called them a plastic fan.

Everyone's personal opinion is different, I'm sure that there were many who felt that those fans who started watching Cardiff when Sam took control of the club, were glory hunters and those that started watching us we when we reached the championship were glory hunters. I personally know loads of lads who went everywhere in the old third and forth division, who would not be interested now, until we got back in the Premiership.

Cheers for picking my post out of 77 others as usual :lol: :thumbright:

Read my post,those that will turn up if we get promoted to the Premier League, then as soon as we are relegated they stop again, for me they are 100% Glory Hunters.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 pm

There are still a lot of people my age that are Liverpool, United, Chelsea (and other prem clubs) fans.

I think this really does bode well for us in the future though, I'm 27 and my dad is a Liverpool supporter who follows Cardiff, the only reason I support Cardiff is he took me down there one day at the age of 11 or 12 and from that day on wards there as no other team for me

You have to imagine though, there was no social media then, no Cardiff in the big leagues so for kids like myself unless you saw them live and/or your dad supported them then of course you are going to follow them

With us doing well now, easier access through TV and social media I can only imagine there will be more fans through the next generation and hopefully crowds will increase time upon time and generation upon generation just by fathers passing their team down

I think in 5/10 years time if we are in the Premier League for a little consistent period there will be a big boom of Cardiff fans, I don't think we are doing to badly at the moment from where we have come

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 pm

DexterMorgan wrote:Stuff like this really gets on my nerves. I don't go to EVERY home game because i want to do other stuff on a Saturday afternoon/evening. I've had one season ticket in the 17 years i've been going to the City (2002/2003), i don't see how that makes me a "plastic supporter". I commend anyone who goes down week in week out home and away, but that doesn't make anyone like me less of a fan

totally agree mate...and no doubt if we werre in the prem youd go a bit more..
nothing wrong with that either..
or do people want us playing in the prem and only those that can prove they had STs in 1997 be allowed in.?
people seem to think fans just stop going...more often than not they go less..

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 am

Im a plastic 100%, however ive been bringing boy down the city for the last 6 years . He's probably more a cardiff fan than a prem club fan. My son is now 13 .

I was brought up supporting Liverpool and cant switch just like that.BUT SON IS A BLUEBIRD!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:Exactly the crowd I expected as I stated on another thread. Apart from a few who post on here, I don't know anyone else who expected us to have more than 20,000 yesterday. I couldn't afford it, simple as that, it would have been a £60+ day out for me, I went to the Pub instead. It wouldn't have made any difference to me if we were in the Premier League, 2 games a week no matter what the ticket price is not affordable for me at the present time.

A gallon of ale, so approx £25. A tenner on football bets, £35 total, great company and most of them in there were City fans like me.

Well it begs the question what kind of supporter are you? With adult tickets priced between £15 - £18 you could have easily have afforded a ticket but opted to blow £35 in the pub.
Let's be honest here that makes you a pretty crap "supporter" and dismisses your "can't afford it" argument.

Interesting points, travel costs, drinks, food, admission etc...I can't afford it twice a week, simple as that. And yes I was one of the very very few on here who went to just about every game when we were having pitiful crowds. I've got better things to do most Saturdays, and no it wouldn't make any difference if we were in the Premiership. The obsession with crowds is bizarre, and is usually brought up by people who are financially comfortably off IMO.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:24 am

rhondda 1015 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Interesting points, travel costs, drinks, food, admission etc...I can't afford it twice a week, simple as that. And yes I was one of the very very few on here who went to just about every game when we were having pitiful crowds. I've got better things to do most Saturdays, and no it wouldn't make any difference if we were in the Premiership. The obsession with crowds is bizarre, and is usually brought up by people who are financially comfortably off IMO.

I doubt there's many grounds left in the football league that Phil hasn't been to. He would have spent twice the amount just travelling to games alone. If Phil's a plastic we might as well all pack up and go home

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

SwampCCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

yep - you're correct also when you say that people who will not pay £20 now will happily pay £35 in the PL.

that said, our average attendance in 2012/13 (championship) was over 22,000. our lowest was still over 20,000. again, in 2011/12 we had average of over 22,000. same in 2010/11.

a substantial number have lost interest because of the rebrand and tan. it will probably take a promotion to 'win back' a few thousand who no longer identify with the team.

the club can cut prices to try and rectify the damage, but the lack of support is all of their own doing. had we not been shat on with the rebrand, we would IMO still have at least 20k every week, to this day.

You have some saying its because those that go are more well off than others, but funny when we are playing in a higher division, no one says anything then about can't afford it. Its about turning up when its not against the big names, thats what its really about,as the excuses then come out and snipes about others can afford it.

How come other clubs fans are turning up week in week out, not making every excuse?

No one expects the same fans to have to turn up for every game as we have 260,000 fans names on City's fans list.

Bradford City had 20,000 plus on Saturday in the lower division.

Many fans down the ground on Saturday were shocked to see 18,000 there on Saturday, when were are top of the Championship,yet the week before 6 other clubs in Championship all had over 27,000 fans.

When we were in the Premier,City had people begging for tickets.

I hope those that have kept renewing or are on the lists showing they have regularly turned up since we were last relegated, get looked after if we go up. Its easy to do :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

You have some saying its because those that go are more well off than others, but funny when we are playing in a higher division, no one says anything then about can't afford it. Its about turning up when its not against the big names, thats what its really about,as the excuses then come out and snipes about others can afford it.

How come other clubs fans are turning up week in week out, not making every excuse?

No one expects the same fans to have to turn up for every game as we have 260,000 fans names on City's fans list.

Many fans down the ground on Saturday were shocked to see 18,000 there on Saturday, when were are top of the Championship,yet the week before 6 other clubs in Championship all had over 27,000 fans.

I hope those that have kept renewing or are on the lists showing they have regularly turned up since we were last relegated, get looked after if we go up. Its easy to do :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

You make some fair points fair play, but I personally don't know anyone who was surprised that we had less than 20,000 last week. The people begging for tickets in the Premier League are not really staunch Cardiff fans are they? It's just South Wales people who want to see top class football, they mostly want us to win, and there's nothing wrong with that.

How far back do you think these lists should go? Apart from when I went with my Dad between 1970 and 1974, I've very rarely bought a season ticket, because there's no real need to. I went home and away religiously throughout all the 'bad' years. I go to home games about 6-8 times a season, I haven't been away for about 4 years. Am I in this elite band that deserve to have a season ticket if we go up? The crowds we're having are fine IMO, it's what we are, just accept it.

If people want to turn up they will, if they don't then they won't.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:50 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

You make some fair points fair play, but I personally don't know anyone who was surprised that we had less than 20,000 last week. The people begging for tickets in the Premier League are not really staunch Cardiff fans are they? It's just South Wales people who want to see top class football, they mostly want us to win, and there's nothing wrong with that.

How far back do you think these lists should go? Apart from when I went with my Dad between 1970 and 1974, I've very rarely bought a season ticket, because there's no real need to. I went home and away religiously throughout all the 'bad' years. I go to home games about 6-8 times a season, I haven't been away for about 4 years. Am I in this elite band that deserve to have a season ticket if we go up? The crowds we're having are fine IMO, it's what we are, just accept it.

If people want to turn up they will, if they don't then they won't.

In all honesty quite a few thought we would just get over 20,000, but quite a few said to me including Darren Ebbw Vale blue on here, We just have not got consistent support and they just won't turn up every week and he said it would sadly be only 18,000.

No your right those who turn up once we are in the Premier League, then stop immediately we are relegated are Not City fans, they just go to watch the big names.

I reckon it does not have to be a season ticket holder, they can look if anyone who is not a season ticket holder but say come 8 times a season, for me he's a City as well and deserves Premier tickets :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I will only becoming to about 8 homes now I live in Spain and about 6 away games, its very hard to keep coming back as I have to stay for at least 2 -3 days away from my family :bluebird: :bluebird: