Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: BARCELONA CONFIRM THEY WILL DISC LEAVING LA LIEGA

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 pm

LA LEAVERS Barcelona president confirms that the Nou Camp giants will discuss leaving La Liga and joining the Premier League or another of Europe’s biggest leagues

President Josep Maria Bartomeu says that the giants will consider playing outside of the Spanish top-flight... which could see them apply to join the Premier League

By Gary Stonehouse

2nd October 2017

BARCELONA president Josep Maria Bartomeu has confirmed the La Liga leaders are considering playing outside of Spain should Catalonia gain independence which could see them trying to join the Premier League.

Over 90 per cent of people have voted for a referendum as the region is on course to become independent.

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has confiremed the club will consider leaving La Liga if Catalonia gains its independenceAFP

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has confiremed the club will consider leaving La Liga if Catalonia gains its independence

Barca stars could be plying their trade in the Premier League or one of the other big European top-flights

However, violent clashes led to Barca's league match against Las Palmas on Sunday to be played behind closed doors after violent clashes followed the vote.

Bartomeu has confirmed his team plan to go on strike in protest at the violent crackdown by police and the Civil Guardia by refusing to train on Tuesday.

And now he has revealed the Barcelona board will be discussing where the club play their football in the future, potentially leading to the club moving to one of Europe's other leading leagues.

Speaking in a press release to explain the decision to play in front of an empty stadium on Sunday, he said: "Here at FC Barcelona we decided that we had to take some kind of measure to show our indignation to the world.

"There were many matters at stake and we discussed these with the different departments of the club: directors, executive, coaches and players.

"I must say that this was one of the most difficult decisions that I have ever had to make as Barça president.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: BARCELONA CONFIRM THEY WILL DISC LEAVING LA LI

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: As if Uefa would allow that to happen...... Anyway how would they handle more than 10 meaningful games a season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Premiership wont happen but Euro league a possibility! Especially as top premiere clubs want to take bigger share of overseas revenue rites? :old:

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Could this be the start of an elite break away league? Would be absolutely terrible for football if it ever occurred.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm

We could swap them for Swansea

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 pm

RageJon wrote:We could swap them for Swansea

I thought they were Swansea?!?! :o :laughing6: :laughing6:

Can you imagine a a Catalan League? It would leave the Scottish fiasco in its one-sided wake! :shock:

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Could this be the start of an elite break away league? Would be absolutely terrible for football if it ever occurred.

difficult to say which clubs would and would not want it..one way or another some pretty big clubs could end up being mid table bottom half teams every year in a super league.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Would be the end for me if it ever happened here.

If any British team wants to go off and join some kind of super league then that is fine. I just hope that we wouldn't allow them to come and take part in our domestic competitions.

When I first started watching football, the league title was there for anyone to win, as Derby, Forest and my own team proved. The FA cup was even more up for grabs and third round day was one of the biggest days in the football calendar. Nowadays, third round day is a chance to field your reserves.

I sometimes wonder just how better off we are with these super green pitches, as opposed to mud baths. I read a comment on here not long back about Wolves possibly blowing up in the winter due to their fancy foreign players. I can't see it myself as the pitches are like bowling greens all through the winter.

I personally have found the championship to be a breath of fresh air. I love the honesty of the players, I like the enthusiasm of the managers and I even like how utterly useless the refs are. It reminds me of what the old first division used to be like before the PL & Sky came along.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

Don't think Barcelona would be happy playing in the championship next season ;-)

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 am

Cant believe he has not thought this out? If they play in any foreign league , including Spain, they cannot represent that country in Europe.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cant believe he has not thought this out? If they play in any foreign league , including Spain, they cannot represent that country in Europe.

He has not thought it through although this is Barcalona and normal rules do not apply to such clubs.

I wont say this is not going to happen but if it did then this would open the door to the other bigger clubs wanting to join a bigger league. It will eventually lead to the Europe League they have all been wanting for the last 50 years.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:06 am

Wolves also looking in to it :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 am

Most of the European not so big boys would be blown out of the water by China who would spend a fortune to enter a super league .The greedy clubs should be careful what they wish for.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:36 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cant believe he has not thought this out? If they play in any foreign league , including Spain, they cannot represent that country in Europe.

He has not thought it through although this is Barcalona and normal rules do not apply to such clubs.

I wont say this is not going to happen but if it did then this would open the door to the other bigger clubs wanting to join a bigger league. It will eventually lead to the Europe League they have all been wanting for the last 50 years.

Thats exactly Ian what would happen.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

Yeah 100%, this would be the trigger for that. More revenue.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 am

AV3 wrote:Would be the end for me if it ever happened here.

If any British team wants to go off and join some kind of super league then that is fine. I just hope that we wouldn't allow them to come and take part in our domestic competitions.

When I first started watching football, the league title was there for anyone to win, as Derby, Forest and my own team proved. The FA cup was even more up for grabs and third round day was one of the biggest days in the football calendar. Nowadays, third round day is a chance to field your reserves.

I sometimes wonder just how better off we are with these super green pitches, as opposed to mud baths. I read a comment on here not long back about Wolves possibly blowing up in the winter due to their fancy foreign players. I can't see it myself as the pitches are like bowling greens all through the winter.

I personally have found the championship to be a breath of fresh air. I love the honesty of the players, I like the enthusiasm of the managers and I even like how utterly useless the refs are. It reminds me of what the old first division used to be like before the PL & Sky came along.

Hear hear! Great Post AV!

Sadly I think there's an inevitable logic about all this. Paradoxically it would lead to the dismantlement of the Premier League, we would return to the First Division set up and domestic football would become more of a level playing field; it could do wonders for the FA Cup. However, for me the nail on the coffin would be the Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal B sides in the competition! :banghead:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:57 am

Teams playing in another country's league pyramid system. Sounds like a ridiculous idea.
.....oh hang on a minute.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:58 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

things might change for Barca. its one thing being under the umbrella of the mega powerful Spanish league, another alltogether being on the outside..they could become like Celtic, huge club playing lots of meaningless games and full of mediocre 2nd tier players..
they should be praying that they maintain their status..not go around making rediculous statements.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm

imagine if Cardiff go up and that fc barc go to the prem, what a match that would be in the premier league
FC BARCELONA VS CARDIFF CITY

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:imagine if Cardiff go up and that fc barc go to the prem, what a match that would be in the premier league
FC BARCELONA VS CARDIFF CITY

It'll never happen, Sam. More likely a Euro League but attendances announced this week show that there is little appetite for that to occur amongst fans. Attendances have dropped sharply even for the so-called 'big' teams ;)

My personal feeling is that the current Champions League and Europa Cup (equivalent of the Football League Cup in its importance) have been ruined for the benefit of the money man and a few greedy clubs. These teams play each other so often now that it's stopped being a novelty and become another expensive day/evening out!

I always enjoyed the odd Cup Winners Cup experience when City won the Welsh Cup frequently but I was far more excited by a meaningful game against our league opponents and particularly those that were local derbies or versus other fierce rivals :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:42 pm

The Wolverona Unrealisticos are already booking their flights.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:44 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:The Wolverona Unrealisticos are already booking their flights.

Paul, knowing their luck it'll be with Monarch! :thumbright: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Gaynor Straight wrote:Teams playing in another country's league pyramid system. Sounds like a ridiculous idea.
.....oh hang on a minute.

Exactly!

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Sven wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:The Wolverona Unrealisticos are already booking their flights.

Paul, knowing their luck it'll be with Monarch! :thumbright: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:laughing6: Chris, yes that or Ryanair. I've no doubt that they'll now refer to their stadium as the Molynoucamp.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:11 pm

The Catalan men for the Matalan men, what have the Spainards done to deserve that :o

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Was thinking about this earlier. Will the same rules apply as they did for us. That is will they be refused permission to qualify for Europe as they are not playing in their own countries league.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 pm

AV3 wrote:Would be the end for me if it ever happened here.

Well said I think I would be finished with it all to

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Don't think Barcelona would be happy playing in the championship next season ;-)

No Easy Games In The Championship ;)

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 am

pontlliwblue wrote:Was thinking about this earlier. Will the same rules apply as they did for us. That is will they be refused permission to qualify for Europe as they are not playing in their own countries league.
The Jacks recent Europa Cup run has proven we are fine. But Welsh Independance would place us in the WPL is my much debated understanding on the prospect. This effect the regions other teams also Espanyol etc

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 pm

If Barcelona tried to get into the pl I'm sure there would be a black lash from other english clubs we are in these leagues as we where invited many years ago historically we have been in them for years but Our arch enemy jes moxey would love to get us out of the leagues that includes swansea Wrexham newport and other Welsh clubs like Merthyr colwyn bay he was delighted after one meeting when he had big smile on his face they voted against celtic and rangers going into the pl .but Barcelona playing in a Catalonia league would be like cardiff being in the league of Wales it would be disastrous