Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ WHY WE SHOULD NOT WANT PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALL “ SAYS

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:Difference here is cardiff have much more potential to enjoy premier league than west brom or say swansea. Much smaller clubs potential wise.

If cardiff were say established for 10 plus years there we could grow and grow and push for top 6 and europa leauge imo now that would be good

Newcastle, Villa, Sunderland, West Ham, Southampton all have bigger “potential” than us and have failed to break into that top six in the current monopoly.

I know a couple of them have been top four/top six in the past but not while the top clubs can spend the money they do now.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Its kind of similar to the years we have spent in the Championship though, it was exciting for the first few seasons, now its pretty bloody monotonous, playing the same teams every year and going to the same away grounds. I also think that WBA are a team that have consolidated but have not grown as a club, I think that we potentially have a lot more to gain, in that the fan base would grow significantly and if established, would increase our chances of becoming an top half club, maybe challenging for the odd cup.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Man City and Chelsea were premier league make weights not so long ago.Maybe our next owner will have a bigger check book than Mr Tan.

I might be laughed at here but I think a Welsh capital city club would be a better brand in the prem than the likes of WBA(or Swansea)and would attract more investment. :twisted:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Bolton almost got into the top 4, played in europe, got to at least one cup final. they finished 6th at least a couple of times. just because west brom are not very ambitious and happy to pick up the PL money each year doesnt mean we have to be content with that, and adopt the attitude of that fan.

at the very least, getting promoted could allow us to pay off some of the huge debts we have accrued, hugely strengthening the club.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm

So true But we must believe that with the right backing we can be where Man city are now,they were nothing not so long ago...go for it.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Howieblue wrote:So true But we must believe that with the right backing we can be where Man city are now,they were nothing not so long ago...go for it.

Man City may have been nothing not so long ago but they were still far bigger then we are.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 pm

I did a post about Cardiff City and the Premier League a few months ago where I asked did we want it. The response was that just about everyone wanted it.

I have supported City for close to 50 years now and I always dreamed of the PL but having walked away when we went red I have to say that the promotion, I didn't watch one game, was meaningless to me.

Maybe now if we went up in blue it would be different but for me the championship is where we can compete and enjoy the football on show.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:58 pm

May as well try to keep the dream alive I suppose. There are still people who honestly believe that we are a big club, when in reality we are a small to medium sized club. For almost the entire 50 years that I have supported this club. I have constantly heard the phrase "sleeping giant" used by a small number of fans. No doubt we will be the same for the next 50 years, but outside of Cardiff nobody considers us to be a particularly big club. Big clubs don't usually spend large chunks of their existence at the bottom of the league, and in half a century would be expected to spend more than 1 brief season at the top. I accept us for what we really are, and in no way are we close to being one of the big clubs.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:23 pm

As recently as last Tuesday 27000 people watched them in a game that was also on sky.surely that shows the club has some potential?.as you stated 1 season at the top in 50 years I'm surprised that so many are still clinging to the dream.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

What a pathetic and embarrising post this is , basically saying there is no point , so why do we all waste out time and hard earnt money on , for nothing? Why do we get angry and frustrated after a bad performance or late loss?

Surely every supporter wants there team to aim for the top ..
I just don't get it

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 pm

What a cracking article and very well written. I myself hated our one season in the Prem with a passion but that was extenuating circumstances. The only bit of the article I disagree with is it's actually cheaper and in fact a lot cheaper to support your team in the Premiere with there cap at £20 that it is to watch in the Championship with prices with many teams between £30 and £40 a game. But I have said before for me the Premier is not the be all and end all. I just want to enjoy the football and passion that Warnock and his plays are giving at the moment.
But to the OP I hope you enjoyed your day out watching the mighty Bluebirds but I do remember the excellent atmosphere at the Hawthorns when we played you in the Prem :thumbup: :thumbup:

Re: “ WHY WE SHOULD NOT WANT PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALL “

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Tuesday 3rd October 2017

By Will Hayward

Cardiff City fans, there is something you need to know. You are heading somewhere miserable.

Last Tuesday, I went with my Bluebird mate to Cardiff City against Leeds. While there I watched the systematic dismantling of title rivals Leeds by a Cardiff team that was oozing with confidence, pace and power.

I looked around at the cheering, happy Bluebirds fans, all thinking that this could be the year they return to the promised land of the Premier League.

As a long-suffering West Brom fan I wanted to scream at them “don’t do it”.

After been labelled for years as a “yoyo” club, my beloved Baggies have established themselves as an average Premier League team for about seven years.

With this experience please believe me when I say that the journey is far more fun than the destination. There is no sugar-coating it, the top tier of English football is a recipe for misery.

“But it will be great” I hear you cry, “We will be on Match of the Day every week, earn a boatload of cash and see some of the best players in the world.”

All of those things are correct but to quote Admiral Ackbar in Star Wars: “It's a trap!”

Yes, you will be on Match of the Day every week but there are a few caveats to that.

If you play any of the other smaller clubs (or lesser clubs as you will be known to certain pundits), prepare for a late night. You will get a meagre four minutes after Goal of the Month. If you do play a bigger (richer) team you may get on earlier. Unfortunately, this will go one of two ways.

If you lose, you will be subjected to a comprehensive analysis of how perfectly their £100m striker dissected your defence (a defence that was assembled for about the equivalent price of Neymar’s foot).

If you win, you can forget about credit. It won’t be “didn’t Neymar’s foot defend well?” It will instead be an inquisition into what tactical flaws the opposition manager has that meant his team couldn’t squash the irrelevant bug that is your club.

“Well at least we will see the best players in the world” you say.

You’re right, you will see players like Hazard, Lukaku and Kane playing.

However, it is the same as enjoying watching boxing, and actually taking part in a bout. Admiring a boxer from ringside is very different to having him or her repeatedly punch you in the face.

Having the top players in the world at the Cardiff City Stadium will mean you see some scintillating football...played against you. If you are anything like me and your happiness is, somewhat pathetically, intrinsically linked to your football team, these repeated face punches soon lose their sense of fun.

Looking back at the best times I have most enjoyed being a football fan in recent years, it was all when we were chasing the top league, not in it.

There is something about the Premier League, every fan is perpetually disappointed.

If your team is one of the top six clubs, you have a one in six chance of considering your season a success. Unless you are one who actually manages to get your team of multimillionaires to win the league, you consider the season a failure.

You could see your team score bags of goals against “lesser clubs” (vomit) and yet all that is forgotten when at the end of the season you sit third on +50 goal difference. You are deemed to have failed.

If you are a smaller team, you may get the glow of staying up in that first year but then it will be quickly replaced by disappointment when your team fails to spend enough money or as every cliche-spouting pundit says – “show ambition”.

Over the seasons, just surviving won’t be enough and managers will fall by the wayside for not playing the “right kind” of football.

Don’t get me wrong, you will be delighted when your team smashes its transfer record and wage cap on a big signing. However, this will only mean that the pressure is on because relegation can now equal insolvency and the liquidation of your team.

Even if you do the impossible (or, as it is now called, “doing a Leicester”) and win it against the odds, the hero manager who inspired that victory could be sacked within months.

Bluebirds, I implore you to enjoy the ride. Bottle every moment of the fun away trips to Burton where you can get in for less than a tenner. What awaits you is paying through the nose for disappointment and unfulfilled lofty expectations. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, not even a Wolves fan.

This is depressingly true. I hated the Premier League.

Me too bar Man City at home and a few away games with late goals like Fulham and WBA! It was terrible, and that's why so many fans stopped supporting, they realised the thought of the premier league is miles better than the reality.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Great article. Albion have been a yo-yo club for as long as I can remember but maybe they have finally stopped the rot and are too good to go down?
For this reason, maybe their fans are getting bored? Not much money from the board, no thrill of promotion, no hammering anyone. Just surviving in the top flight.
It happens in every league.
Fans need the odd new challenge :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Funny story is, if we are promoted, increased prices in some cases £55 tickets,more live Sky matches, terrible times of matches etc and yet We will be sold out, home and away.

That's another bad point, idiots talking bollocks all around you and taking photos with their phones, and not watching the game, and getting up half way through the half to buy another coffee, back and fecking fore all game :evil:

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:43 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:Difference here is cardiff have much more potential to enjoy premier league than west brom or say swansea. Much smaller clubs potential wise.

If cardiff were say established for 10 plus years there we could grow and grow and push for top 6 and europa leauge imo now that would be good

Newcastle, Villa, Sunderland, West Ham, Southampton all have bigger “potential” than us and have failed to break into that top six in the current monopoly.

I know a couple of them have been top four/top six in the past but not while the top clubs can spend the money they do now.

I know a few Newcastle fans and worked there last year for a bit last year, they loved their season in the Championship, far better than the previous few getting battered in the premiership....

It's all about the fun of the chase, which is better than the catch !!!!

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 am

Championship football isn't capturing the imagination of the public.we are top and still poorly supported.stay at this level next season and you will see even less people bumping around in a big stadium.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 am

The reason West Brom fans are so bored is by having Tony Pulis as manager. The brand of football he portrays is worse than Malky’s.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Agree with a lot being said but surely the epitome of every football club and fans is to play in the top league.I didn't always enjoy our premier experience the wins were great especially Man City the atmosphere and feeling you got from beating the champions totally outweighed any win I've seen in the championship.Not playing in blue was the biggest disappointment and the off the field antics which got more press publicity than the football. Hopefully if we go up this year we'll have learned not to spend to much money on overpriced players keep and use the majority of players that took us up. Three or four good signings and put into the contract if we a relegated they have to stay for a season in the championship on the same money.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Ah the old double edged sword conundrum.

On the one hand the sheer delight and exhilaration of getting promoted and the heady days of the first few games; on the other the expected thrashings by the top clubs and the arrival of never heard of foreign players on mega wages who probably didn't know where Cardiff was until their agent told them.

But hold on, Burnley have thrived; as have Bournemouth and Watford and had some great days. Plus of course Leicester and our little cousins down the M4.

It is not all bad. Yes on occasions dispiriting but in hindsight we were only a few wins from survival last time and who knows what would have happened had we invested properly in experienced PL management and infrastructure. The memory of full houses and the noise generated and atmosphere at some of the PL games will never be forgotten. Plus who says we could not beat some of the top 6?

I would relish another crack at the PL. The club is so better placed to embrace and indeed flourish in the top reaches; albeit in the 2nd or 3rd mini league therein.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

yeah my most enjoyable times were in the lower leagues too but id rather be where we are..
as for MOTD we cant even get our score announced on BBC Wales..
you can turn anything into a bunch of negatives..
what a missery..

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:57 pm

One thing that does count for a lot of supporters is bragging rights. If you are a Baggies fan it must be pretty good to see both Villa and Birmingham in a lower division.

If you are a city supporter you want to be in a higher division than the jacks. For me that is a good enough reason to be in the Premiership and pray they get relegated.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

I hated our season in the Premier but that was down to one thing.