Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Biggest surprise of the season "

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 am

Biggest surprise of the season :bluebird:

By Nathan Blake

Undoubtedly, this title belongs to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

For a player to come from League One — who most were viewing as a squad player — he's been tremendous. Even though he's no longer firing in regular goals and ripping it up like he was in the first five games of the season, he's still a top performer, quietly playing well each week.

Even in the 0-0 draw with Derby he was arguably Cardiff's best player.

And in games when he hasn't caught the eye with a stunning goal, he always puts a shift in. He worries defenders and helps out at the other end.

Before the season, I think most people were looking at Lee Tomlin as the player to unlock defences for Cardiff. That's quickly gone away because of the impact Mendez-Laing has made. He's been the most beautiful surprise.

Creativity in this Cardiff team is coming from their width and their pace, which is down to Mendez-Laing and Junior Hoilett. They've both been excellent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Biggest surprise of the season "

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Totally agree. I was underwhelmed by the signing when it happened thinking he was just a back up to the squad. How wrong I was (many others were). He is one of the most exiting players I have ever seen in a Cardiff shirt. Up there with the best free signings we have ever made. I understand that his manager at Rochdale was an ex -Warnock player and that why we got him when other clubs were interested in him.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Agreed. Our best player this season ... a pleasure to watch )) let's hope he can sustain it ... which I think he will ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Wingers for me is one of the easiest positions to take risks on.. like for instance you always have a good chance of having the better of a fullback and having a top game.. for me I had no doubts he could make the step up.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm

I agree with Blakey.

How lucky were we to get him for f**k all :clap:

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:30 am

If Cardiff are to be mounting a serious title challenge they can't afford any more performances like the one at PNE, where they were completely outclassed from start to finish by the mighty whites. And as usual Mr Warnock did not give us any credit only trawled out excuses!!!!