Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Should Cardiff & Reading Fans be Forced ? '

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am

Should Reading FC And Cardiff City Fans Be Forced Into A Monday Night TV Fixture?

We spoke to Reading and Cardiff fans about a rearrangement that could be a big headache for both sets of supporters.

Reading Supporters FC

Friday 6th October 2017

Jordan Jones: Cardiff will take plenty of fans anyway

It was announced this week that Reading would be getting their second visit of the season from the Sky Sports cameras. After the Royals lost 2-1 to Norwich City in a late Saturday game, they will now face Cardiff City on December 11 - a Monday night.

That fixture had originally been down as a standard Saturday afternoon kick off, but the change potentially makes life difficult for thousands of Reading and Cardiff fans who’d want to come to the game.

We asked Reading and Cardiff-supporting writers to give their takes on the issue - should the game have been moved in the first place? And how will all this affect supporters?

Dan Lewis: This is now very much the norm

Dan is a Cardiff City fan who writes for Goal and SportsMole. He tweets from @Daniel_Lewis92

After initially missing out on Sky's picks for the first two months of televised matches, four games have now been selected following City's bright start to the campaign - the one downside to a promotion push! The first of those, against Leeds last week, made little difference as the game still took place at the originally set time, although the attendance would have surpassed the 30,000 mark had it not been on TV.

The second, a trip to Birmingham when club action resumes, has made things very awkward for fans with the game being switched at a fairly late date, with many now unable to book time off work. Our trip to Bristol City is the most awkward of all - moved from 3pm on a Saturday to 12pm on a Saturday to 7.45pm on a Friday night and now, finally, back to midday on the Saturday.

As for the Reading fixture, I have no particular complaints about playing it on a weekday night, as such, with it traditionally being one of our shortest trips of the season. It does mean, however, that Cardiff will go a whole month without a Saturday kickoff - games against Forest, Norwich and Reading all now being shifted.

Yet again the fans come second, but can we really complain? This is, after all, a division that sees Norwich City travel to South Wales on a Friday evening in December - a near-550-mile-round trip. As frustrating as it is, it is now very much the norm and something supporters are accustomed to. Expect a near-sold-out away end, regardless!

Jordan Jones: Cardiff will take plenty of fans anyway

Jordan is also a Cardiff fan - he is editor of Inside Wales Sport, and tweets from @JordsAlexJones

From a Cardiff perspective I think this is the perfect opportunity to highlight how good this side is if they’re still challenging for a top six spot come Christmas time. Fans are quick to mention if they feel their team is being undersold but also the first to complain if their game is moved to a different day.

I’d agree with Dan’s analogy that the Bristol City game is the most frustrating as I’m a massive fan of televised and non-televised Friday football and I think it should be considered more by clubs who are willing to do so.

Ask a lot of Cardiff fans and they’ll say that Reading is one of the most enjoyable away days, with both clubs fair on prices for away fans. The two have built a small rivalry after playing each other a number of times in the play-offs, as well as Cardiff taking a number of players from the Royals.

I remember Cardiff taking an impressive 3.6k fans to the Madejski in Malky Mackay’s first season and if the Bluebirds are still firing on all cylinders, I predict a similar figure next time round.

Dave Harris: Fixture rearrangements are a necessary evil in the modern day game

Take your modern day professional football club, add a fair sprinkling of TV, and you end up with an increasingly volatile mixture. Much to the chagrin of the modern day football supporter, the twain shall never be separated. It’s easy to understand why supporters direct their ire towards their clubs, the EFL and Sky (and of course BT Sport for Premier and National League supporters). All too often clubs have fixtures moved with just a few week’s notice, mainly towards the end of seasons when the final dozen or so fixtures are bearing out towards the top of the Premier League or Championship, but certainly not alien to the beginning – for example, Premier League clubs only found out whether they would be domestically televised on 10 July this year, just four weeks before the commencement of the new season.

On Monday we learnt of Reading FC’s latest fixture movement for TV, the home fixture against Cardiff City which was initially allocated a regular Saturday 3pm slot in December only for it to be moved for TV viewer’s pleasure to a Monday 8pm slot on 11 December. This will be the second fixture movement this season which, in truth, is about as good as it can get for a Championship club. Irritating as it is, particularly for those of us who reside outside of the Reading area, the brutal truth of the matter is that this fixture has been moved with a day shy of 10 week’s notice – plenty of time for supporters to plan to attend.

Granted, later on in the season fixtures will be moved with much less time for supporters to plan, however the EFL, Premier League and Sky do aim to provide at least six week’s notice, an unwritten rule installed partly thanks to continued pressure from the Football Supporter’s Federation and Supporter’s Direct, two excellent organisations that fight tooth and nail for the match-going fan. Having said that, the six-week rule is regularly breached which leads many to wonder why it is there in the first place.

Of course, the two Royals matches televised this season happen to be home fixtures, not so bad for those of us who bleed proper blue and white hoops. Norwich supporters will probably have been irked by the change on Saturday, although again they had a more than reasonable timeframe to make arrangements to attend. Norwich to Reading and return is not too much of an issue for a 5.30 pm kick off, and likewise Cardiff fans (who will almost certainly travel in four figures) will probably pack out the two direct trains to South Wales available after full-time or head back across the Severn Bridges in reasonably quick time. It will still, however, mean early hours to bed for the away contingent and maybe an additional half day’s annual leave for many that they otherwise wouldn’t have required.

The rub though, really, is that modern day football and television are so far intertwined as to be nigh on inseparable. Take away the television, you remove the largest funding stream available to most clubs, particularly in the Premier League and Championship. Granted, it is obvious that the balance of power has skewed too far for comfort in favour of TV companies whose scheduling and PR departments pay absolutely no heed to the matchgoing spectator, but the clubs in many ways are held over a barrel as to reject the opportunity to receive £600 million collectively plus facility fees when the next TV deal commences is very much nose cutting territory.

Additionally, supporters of clubs, particularly the biggest clubs, do themselves no favours by either continually packing out away ends regardless of kick off time, and paying their subscription fees to the very TV companies they loathe. TV companies know this and so take supporters for granted, and if it gets too bad then a boycott of either televised fixtures or subscription sport would be the way forward for me. However, if that does not materialise then we will need continued campaigning for a better deal for the matchgoing fan, including the very issue of TV scheduling. One thing’s for sure though – TV ain’t going nowhere for now. And it could be much worse, we could be Leeds fans!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Should Cardiff & Reading Fans be Forced ? '

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:08 am

the TV games are now part of football ..but they are not the only inconvenience Bristol mid day. Forest at 1 o clock on a Sunday { not sure why } means we now only have 2 Saturday 3 o clock kick off away fixtures left in 2017..and wouldnt be at all surprised to see the New Years Day game away to QPR moved to 1pm as happened to our boxing Day game at Brentford last season.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:10 am

That's another game I would have gone to but now wont.

Im all for TV games but the schedule should be set start of the year and that's it.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am

dogfound wrote:the TV games are now part of football ..but they are not the only inconvenience Bristol mid day. Forest at 1 o clock on a Sunday { not sure why } means we now only have 2 Saturday 3 o clock kick off away fixtures left in 2017..and wouldnt be at all surprised to see the New Years Day game away to QPR moved to 1pm as happened to our boxing Day game at Brentford last season.

It gets much worse once in the Premier League, but fans find the time and money.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am

That's another game I would have gone to but now wont.

Im all for TV games but the schedule should be set start of the year and that's it.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:the TV games are now part of football ..but they are not the only inconvenience Bristol mid day. Forest at 1 o clock on a Sunday { not sure why } means we now only have 2 Saturday 3 o clock kick off away fixtures left in 2017..and wouldnt be at all surprised to see the New Years Day game away to QPR moved to 1pm as happened to our boxing Day game at Brentford last season.

It gets much worse once in the Premier League, but fans find the time and money.

I agree, if we were in the PL more fans would suddenly make the effort and you'd probably see 3000-4000 at the game despite it being moved. However this fixture wouldn't have mattered to me if it was Arsenal, Chelsea or Man city or any of the big Giants! I still would not have been able to make it. It's really annoyed me this season so far with some of the fixture changes. The Reading fixture change is the worst one for me personally. I know some people it may suit but I'm sure we will have a much reduced crowd due to it. That weekend is like my Xmas with my family (I dont see them over the Xmas period at all due to work). So I'm off Wednesday - Sunday night! We are all meeting up as they live up that way and we're all planning on going to the match! (They are gold members as they can't make many home games). I booked this off specifically to see them and tie it in with the match. If I'd known the match was goi g to be Monday night I would have booked Monday - Friday off! Due to work none of us can now go and it's ruined our plans for the Saturday. Will just do something else now. I'm working he Monday night shift so cannot go to the match or watch it on TV. Obviously I know that there's always a chance that some fixtures can be moved but it always seems to be the easier trips that are made harder for us - let's face it we don't have many clubs near us as it is! When you've planned something around the fixture and booked annual leave it really annoys me now that this has changed. I can't book annual leave nearer the time - it has to be booked way in advance. They could have moved it to a different time of the Saturday or anytime Sunday. But Monday night is a joke IMO. So even though some people just don't go - I really cannot go!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:15 am

Agree but never really seen the inconvenience of playing Bristol at noon. It's literally down the road....

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:36 am

Forever Blue wrote:

not so sure mate..
i dont remember one single game being moved during our prem season for any reason other than for Sky TV..

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:10 pm

I blame the people who subscribe to Sky as they fund this, no ifs and no buts.

Don't subscribe and it won't happen although I know this won't happen

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I agree, if we were in the PL more fans would suddenly make the effort and you'd probably see 3000-4000 at the game despite it being moved. However this fixture wouldn't have mattered to me if it was Arsenal, Chelsea or Man city or any of the big Giants! I still would not have been able to make it. It's really annoyed me this season so far with some of the fixture changes. The Reading fixture change is the worst one for me personally. I know some people it may suit but I'm sure we will have a much reduced crowd due to it. That weekend is like my Xmas with my family (I dont see them over the Xmas period at all due to work). So I'm off Wednesday - Sunday night! We are all meeting up as they live up that way and we're all planning on going to the match! (They are gold members as they can't make many home games). I booked this off specifically to see them and tie it in with the match. If I'd known the match was goi g to be Monday night I would have booked Monday - Friday off! Due to work none of us can now go and it's ruined our plans for the Saturday. Will just do something else now. I'm working he Monday night shift so cannot go to the match or watch it on TV. Obviously I know that there's always a chance that some fixtures can be moved but it always seems to be the easier trips that are made harder for us - let's face it we don't have many clubs near us as it is! When you've planned something around the fixture and booked annual leave it really annoys me now that this has changed. I can't book annual leave nearer the time - it has to be booked way in advance. They could have moved it to a different time of the Saturday or anytime Sunday. But Monday night is a joke IMO. So even though some people just don't go - I really cannot go!

That's very unlucky. As you say, though, it may suit some people, including myself. I'm working on the Saturday, but free on the Monday and Tuesday. For the re-re-arranged Bristol City game it works the other way! Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.