Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

YOUR WALES TEAM?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

Who would you start with for Wales V Ireland tonight? 5 at the back? HRK in for Vokes?

Personally I'd pick the following team:

5-4-1 (or variation of)

GK: Hennessey
RWB: Gunter
CB: Chester
CB: Williams
CB: Ampadu/Lockyer (very undecided on this. I think Lockyer is the safe bet but Ampadu could have a blinder)
LWB: Davies
CDM: Allen
RM: Robson-Kanu
CAM: Ramsey
LM: Lawrence
ST: Vokes

If Ampadu were to come in, he can also play in the midfield so if Coleman wanted to switch to 4 at the back, Ampadu can go forward. And with HRK starting out on the wing, he can move up front with Vokes to play 2 up front. There's a lot of room for freedom with this starting XI

What do you think?

Re: YOUR WALES TEAM?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:Who would you start with for Wales V Ireland tonight? 5 at the back? HRK in for Vokes?

5-4-1 (or variation of)

CB: Ampadu/Lockyer (very undecided on this. I think Lockyer is the safe bet but Ampadu could have a blinder)

What do you think?

why o why play a 17 year old centre back in this sort of game.

Madness.

if he switches to 5 at the back itll be davies in the middle with taylor on the left

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am

paulh_85 wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:Who would you start with for Wales V Ireland tonight? 5 at the back? HRK in for Vokes?

5-4-1 (or variation of)

What do you think?

why o why play a 17 year old centre back in this sort of game.

Madness.

if he switches to 5 at the back itll be davies in the middle with taylor on the left

A 17 Year old came in and scored and assisted in 2 vital games? If they're good enough, they're ready. Coleman himself has said that. The point with Ampadu coming in is that he can play centre half and in the midfield and so if we wanted to switch to 4 at the back we can do so without making a tactical substitution.

I doubt he'd risk Taylor due to what happened in the last game V the Irish and he's not been in too good form for Villa either. And with Ben Davies playing brilliantly as a wing back with Spurs playing 5 at the back it just makes sense to keep him there for us.

It's an opinion though, feel free to chuck us your team :thumbright:

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am

The Irisk will not be holding back and I can see some heavy tackles going in, not sure if it's a game to play a 17 yr old in, at least not at the start, it's a do or die game for both sides and any worry about yellow cards are going out the window from the off, ref has to not let this get out of hand, could even see a red card or two. Definitely worth putting the youngsters on at some point though.there will be lots of tired legs late on.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm

With Paul on this, no way would I be looking at playing a youngster at CB in a game like this.

I see the problem though, not a fan of Taylor either.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Playing a 17yr old upfront is not the same as sticking a youngster in defence? Accident waiting to happen madness! :o

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:16 pm

4-1-3-2

RWB: Gunter CB: Chester CB: Williams LWB: Davies
RM: Robson-Kanu CAM: Ramsey LM: Lawrence
ST: Vokes & Woodburn

For me this represents a "solid" back four without having the worry to cover an inexperienced player.

Joe Allen adds that extra cover defensively but, when attacking, he can fit into Ramsey spot and allow Ramsey a free role.

We need to win so I would play with two up front - in a side where goals (and speed) can come from any of the front 5.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:33 pm

and woodburn hasnt started. he was only brought on when we were desperate and needed something from the game.

to throw a 17 year old centre back into such a huge game something he would never have come close to experiencing before is insanity lol

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:With Paul on this, no way would I be looking at playing a youngster at CB in a game like this.

I see the problem though, not a fan of Taylor either.

I don't think it's right to stick Taylor in. They're sure to target him and even he may not be in the right place mentally to play against them. I much prefer Davies out wide simply due to his Spurs form in the same position. If Coleman doesn't think Ampadu is ready, I don't think he'd call him up.

Lockyer may be a safer bet but again, he hasn't started an international and he's relatively young at 22.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm

KJblue wrote:The Irisk will not be holding back and I can see some heavy tackles going in, not sure if it's a game to play a 17 yr old in, at least not at the start, it's a do or die game for both sides and any worry about yellow cards are going out the window from the off, ref has to not let this get out of hand, could even see a red card or two. Definitely worth putting the youngsters on at some point though.there will be lots of tired legs late on.

Shocking how far these yellows stretch. 2 yellows over a year apart and you miss a play off match! Ridiculous

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:44 pm

paulh_85 wrote:and woodburn hasnt started. he was only brought on when we were desperate and needed something from the game.

to throw a 17 year old centre back into such a huge game something he would never have come close to experiencing before is insanity lol

Why not? If he's good enough, he's ready! Sometimes sticking in a youngster with no fear helps, they can thrive under it. It's less harmful if it's a centre half with 2 other centre halves either side

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Neil Taylor to come in for Andy King and switch Ben Davies to third CB .
Ramsey will drop back to play alongside Lawrence behind Vokes

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:4-1-3-2

RWB: Gunter CB: Chester CB: Williams LWB: Davies
RM: Robson-Kanu CAM: Ramsey LM: Lawrence
ST: Vokes & Woodburn

For me this represents a "solid" back four without having the worry to cover an inexperienced player.

Joe Allen adds that extra cover defensively but, when attacking, he can fit into Ramsey spot and allow Ramsey a free role.

We need to win so I would play with two up front - in a side where goals (and speed) can come from any of the front 5.

I worry about 4 at the back because Ireland's game is based on width to stick crosses in. Having 4 at the back makes us prone to a winger over-lapping us. With 5 at the back we have that cover

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Playing a 17yr old upfront is not the same as sticking a youngster in defence? Accident waiting to happen madness! :o

I disagree. With 5 at the back, you have at least 2 centre halves covering with the full backs coming back too

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Gaynor Straight wrote:Neil Taylor to come in for Andy King and switch Ben Davies to third CB .
Ramsey will drop back to play alongside Lawrence behind Vokes

This is probably what he'll do.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:56 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Playing a 17yr old upfront is not the same as sticking a youngster in defence? Accident waiting to happen madness! :o

I disagree. With 5 at the back, you have at least 2 centre halves covering with the full backs coming back too

nah its much more risky playing a untested youth centre back than an attacker

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:59 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

nah its much more risky playing a untested youth centre back than an attacker

Thanks for the explanation ha. Think it is equally as risky.