Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CREDIT AND BLAME '

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 pm

' CREDIT AND BLAME '

Huge credt to Chris Coleman for many correct decisions AND great blame for one key decision tonight.

Its easy to turn on Coleman and I am not doing that as generally he has been brilliant for Wales BUT........
You lose a class midfield player Joe Allan who can tackle and create = unlucky and no ones fault. You need to bring on a reliable player who wont let you down. You bring on Johnie Williams. When he has the ball he flatters to decieve when he hasnt got it he does next to nothing and doesnt tackle he also dives a lot. I wouldnt have him in the squad let alone first sub!!
There will be a lot blaming Ramsey (or even Ashley Williams / Wayne Hennessy) but Ramsey who is far better as a sort of number 10 (attacking midfield) is put into defensive mid!!
Cannot believe he put Johnie Williams on, and from then on we lost our shape and JW played poorly (as usual).
Trist iawn / very sad. :( :(

Re: CREDIT AND BLAME

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 pm

I disagree , I blame Coleman but not just for tonight but for the amount of points we threw away from winning positions. Ireland showed us tonight how to protect a lead and run the clock down. Martin O'Neil showed Coleman how it's done.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Ireland are a disgrace- really hope they lose the play off

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 pm

One other thing if you are going to bring on a creative midfield player why JW and not Ben Woodburn. What does JW offer more than Woodburn - can anyone explain that....?
Anyway the lads have been great in the last coupe of years so big thanks to rhem.... But still cant understand that decision..?? :bluebird:

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Bananas wrote:Ireland are a disgrace- really hope they lose the play off

Thought you said they are a pub team. If they are, what are we? ;)

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Vincent Man wrote:I disagree , I blame Coleman but not just for tonight but for the amount of points we threw away from winning positions. Ireland showed us tonight how to protect a lead and run the clock down. Martin O'Neil showed Coleman how it's done.

By parking the bus, feigning injury and time wasting at every opportunity...going to be a classic Workd Cup with teams like Ireland and the completely uninspiring England there

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Not impressed with Ireland in either game against us and other qualifying games I've seen. Some of their defending was worse than parks football, the ball was going everywhere. It's all very well setting up to absorb pressure and hit on the break but can't see them getting through the play offs, there are some strong teams in there. Not bitter but I hope I don't have to watch games with them in when the World Cup comes around :banghead:

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 pm

ireland executed their game plan perfectly. they defended resolutely, and didnt shirk any challenges. they kept it quiet in the first half and pounced on an error from ashley williams, before closing the game out.

they lack quality but they have capable and passionate management in o'neil and keane.

as for us, its not rocket science - we missed bale. with bale we probably would have won that game. we lack a cutting edge up front without him, simple as that.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:ireland executed their game plan perfectly. they defended resolutely, and didnt shirk any challenges. they kept it quiet in the first half and pounced on an error from ashley williams, before closing the game out.

they lack quality but they have capable and passionate management in o'neil and keane.

as for us, its not rocket science - we missed bale. with bale we probably would have won that game. we lack a cutting edge up front without him, simple as that.

Agree!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:ireland executed their game plan perfectly. they defended resolutely, and didnt shirk any challenges. they kept it quiet in the first half and pounced on an error from ashley williams, before closing the game out.

Partly true....and its a game of opinions. But I think we'd still have won if Joe Allan stayed on. We had a gameplan ourselves and we still have marginally better players even without Bale. Also we were home. The reason I thought we might lose was the long trip back from Georgia. But Ireland were no great shakes and we still could have won except the strange decision to put on JW. It meant we had a midfield of King and a not fully match fit Ledley and with Ramsey playing deeper. One of the players who could have an impact then had no impact on the game. We :o lost shape and let Ireland into it. Even then they only had one real chance which we gave them. As I say its a matter of opinions but I ask again would any Welsh fan have chosen to bring onJW as first sub (or even have expected our manager to do it)?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Joe Allen going off changed the game for me johnny Williams wrong sub very poor . Ramsey always poor when playing deeper. Ledley should never be starting so unfit its unreal iron boots . Allen injury changed the game

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm

I really never understood this they set their game plan and it worked nonsense.. if we can sit there at full time and say it then what was we watching when it was going on?

Watching Ramsey playing in a Messi role where he virtually can run around anywhere.. It was clear as day Ireland were sat to counter attack without over committing and there was no change in that game plan yet Coleman and the boys still couldn't figure it out.. A player of Ramsey's quality went missing and he fell into Ireland's trap.. Ramsey started going deeper and for me if I was the Irish team I would have said we won the game because once that happened the game was gone in any form.

Even with Joe Allen on the pitch I still thought it was going to take a cross into the box with a dodgy clearance to get a goal for us.. I really think if we were to still maintain this sort of competitive nature we have in us Coleman needs to use wingers.. we have no pace and Gunter who I think is a top professional just doesn't have enough going forward.. no dig at him I just feel he is suited if we was playing a team like Spain or another top country.

For me Coleman's bad side lies in up top.. changes it too many times one minute it's Kanu and then the next it's Vokes.. for me Vokes should have started by a country mile especially knowing Ireland was set up to defend because Kanu isn't an out and out striker so he started coming in deep way too much were Vokes plays on the last man winning aerial duels.

We was in this until the very end but to call this a good campaign it really ain't. Walking away with more draws than we won.. we lead in 4 of them draws and conceded late on in some.. we have come a long way competing in qualifiers until the very end but there are a few games we can look back on and it easy to say that but our mental attitude and poor effort to see a game out cost us.

Was hearing things on the radio on the way home saying without Coleman players won't wanna play for us.. which is a very sad but true statement that we are in this football world where a manager now can push your motivation to play for your COUNTRY.

At the end of this I do think Coleman should stay and take us into the next campaign for Euro 2020 as I feel in our current position we still have a good squad to compete to qualify for tournaments.. but the thing and I can understand we are a small nation and we will always be up against it and we do punch above our weights but we do lack depth and I think the only thing which was good at the time was we had a starting 11 which we knew would stick but we have been found out and I think we need a new style, structure and formation... like Leicester with the 4-4-2 and Chelsea playing the 3-4-3 everything has it's time and it goes such as our defensive style of play.

Onwards and upwards.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Sometimes there's no justice in football. That push from McClean was disgusting. He knew exactually what he was doing. We then lose the player who makes us tick and we moved Ramsey deeper which meant we had nothing further forward. Allen was targeted from the off and the officials did nothing to stop it! If there was any justice in football McClean should get a 3 match ban for that. It was cynical, deliberate and clearly dangerous as it caused a head injury. The guy can't even faul a player to their face!!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Ireland played a physical game but we done it v Wolves back in August.. it rubs up the wrong way and no-one likes it when it's done to us but it's a tactic that is used week in week out by any team in the world.. time wasting, physical game.. we done it ourselves (City and Wales) if we done what they done tonight with a 1-0 win we wouldn't complain.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 pm

I know where your coming from but if that was Gunner or a Welsh player doing that I still would think they had crossed the line! Pushing someone in the back into on coming traffic is beyond physical play. It's sly and filthy and leaves a bad taste.
I had no joy watching taylors tackle in Dublin but at least he was punished!!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:49 pm

Maclean should have been sent off in the first half.

The tackle that went unpunished and Ramsey shot instead. And the Allen push.

and he scored the winner...!

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:46 am

Thought our system was wrong should have played the 3 centre backs with the wing backs and not 442?

Rep Ireland played the loan striker and it would have given us more protection in midfield.

Hey ho that's the way it goes, more sickening for the players chucking that away, good luck to the Rep Ireland in the play offs.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:59 am

Should never of went down to tonight's game we drew to many games at beginning of campaign

Re: ' CREDIT AND BLAME '

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 am

Just my view.

The group was not a strong group and Serbia are not that great.

We should of at least been in the top 2. For me we lost this group in the first five games.

Not a good campaign.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 am

IMO a poor campaign. If warnock was in charge we would have won the group

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Ireland played a physical game but we done it v Wolves back in August.. it rubs up the wrong way and no-one likes it when it's done to us but it's a tactic that is used week in week out by any team in the world.. time wasting, physical game.. we done it ourselves (City and Wales) if we done what they done tonight with a 1-0 win we wouldn't complain.

I was thinking the same thing myself. This forum was full of posters laughing at the mighty Wolves and their fans not long ago, particularly their excuses for losing such as time wasting and dirty tactics. Posters on here last night sounded just like those Wolves fans, full of excuses for our defeat. Time wasting, bullying us on the pitch, missing Bale, even seen the travelling excuse crop up again. The fact is we had a poor campaign. Dropped to many points earlier in the competition, including games Bale played in. We left ourselves too much to do, and I am surprised we took it to the final game. I said earlier in the year that we had our moment of glory at the Euros, and I honestly did not think we would still be in with a shout of qualifying right up to last night.This was not a particularly strong group, and we are probably going to find ourselves in stronger groups than this in the future. This was possibly our best ever chance of getting through to the WC finals.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 am

It's not like Wales had to face Italy,France, Germany, England, Belgium etc

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 am

Got what we deserved NOTHING! should have played the likes of Woodburn from the start and gone for the jugular hate all this super sub business,played Ledley might as well be playing with 10 men and the continual long ball into the box that Ireland dealt with every time.Wales out but City still going strong cant wait for the trip to Birmingham friday.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:37 am

Ireland had been doing this all through qualification, we knew it was coming, so my only gripe was when you are playing long balls or aerial balls into the box all the time you don't want Kanu on the end of it! Sam Vokes should have come in half time. Other than that a number was done on us, losing joe Allen was a massive blow and we couldn't cope with it simple as.

Can't have too many grumbles, from where we were at pot 5 no hopers to pot 1,2 or 3 leaves you a chance.

I don't think Ireland will get there, I do think Coleman will step aside wrightly or wrongly, and I happy with either or.

We could pick bones all day but we were predictable, our own worst enemy (again) but we didn't have the luck either. A couple of incidents that on another day get picked up.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 am

In a winner takes all game we should have just gone all out.

Yes we lost Bale beforehand and Allen was key loss, but we were never going to get much out of that game unless we ran at them. Ireland are slow and don't like pace first 30 showed that yet we decide not to run at them.

Rambo needs to take some flack and put his hands up. When he plays the Whitts role as a sweeper hes a waste of time. Where is the Rambo that destroyed Russia, that bossed the Belgium game in the Euros....? Bale out it was his time to put his hands up and show his class, instead he retreats and cant play the most simple of balls!

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 am

Forever Blue wrote:It's not like Wales had to face Italy,France, Germany, England, Belgium etc

Annis! Coleman's tactics appeared to be thats who we were playing? He got it wrong from beginning of campaign . But cannot complain about his overall tenour but time to go :thumbup:

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 am

The Euro's were fun, but this is the next cycle and we failed. We were seeded 1st and came 3rd, in any other sport or country a failure !!!!

Ireland were tall, strong, organised and not as talented but had a more astute manager. We played with one championship (I know but WBA had him for free) converted winger up top with two sitting midfielders.
There was never a need to play Ledley, they were only going to catch us on the break or a mistake. Ledley breaks up play of possession teams.

How many times did Randolf have to make a save ?

We are Cardiff city fans. Every week we see some team play fancy triangles in the middle 3rd with all our players in their defensive organization. Ireland let us play between the lines and packed the centre of the park and let us have the wings which we couldn't use.

This was the rope a dope stuff we see week in week out. For all our possession did we even have more shots or shots on target ?

We are what we are as a country, we only have a small pool, but Coleman has gone as far as he can with them.

Coleman has sat his audition for the next dream job, over to Swansea for him (please).

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:11 pm

I think the tactics were wrong for a number of games, far to many draws, far to many leads thrown away. Even the last couple of wins we have hardly looked impressive.

First game aside pretty poor in a group that isn't the strongest.