Finland holiday help

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Finland holiday help

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.
maccydee
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Finland holiday help

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Milkybarkid » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 pm

maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink
Milkybarkid
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.
maccydee
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Milkybarkid » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:08 pm

maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.

It is cheaper than Norway as I have been to both Never been to Iceland so can’t compare I would say it’s about 30 to 40 % more expensive than the uk if that gives you an idea
Milkybarkid
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Bluebird For Life » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.

It is cheaper than Norway as I have been to both Never been to Iceland so can’t compare I would say it’s about 30 to 40 % more expensive than the uk if that gives you an idea


Its cheaper than Iceland for sure. If you are going for skiing, most people stay in or near to Saariselka.
Bluebird For Life
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.

It is cheaper than Norway as I have been to both Never been to Iceland so can’t compare I would say it’s about 30 to 40 % more expensive than the uk if that gives you an idea


Its cheaper than Iceland for sure. If you are going for skiing, most people stay in or near to Saariselka.


Iceland was fine. London prices. Everything was nicer so worth it.
maccydee
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Bluebird For Life » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:56 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.

It is cheaper than Norway as I have been to both Never been to Iceland so can’t compare I would say it’s about 30 to 40 % more expensive than the uk if that gives you an idea


Its cheaper than Iceland for sure. If you are going for skiing, most people stay in or near to Saariselka.


Iceland was fine. London prices. Everything was nicer so worth it.


Great country and will be rooting for them in the Euros now that we are out. I've been to Finland seven times now. Its fantastic for nature, very unspoiled with thousands of forests and lakes, but the scenery can be a bit monotonous at times. Finns themselves are either painfully shy or total lunatics so an interesting mix... Remember in January though there is hardly any daylight if you cross the Arctic Circle and not much in Helsinki; about 4 or 5 hours maximum.
Bluebird For Life
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby nubbsy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Get yourself to Estonia. Cheaper than both Finland and Norway. beautiful gothic city in tallinn, friendly people and vast forests amazing wild life. Can go bear watching certain times of the year.
nubbsy
 
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am
Location: the diff

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby maccydee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.

It is cheaper than Norway as I have been to both Never been to Iceland so can’t compare I would say it’s about 30 to 40 % more expensive than the uk if that gives you an idea


Its cheaper than Iceland for sure. If you are going for skiing, most people stay in or near to Saariselka.


Iceland was fine. London prices. Everything was nicer so worth it.


Great country and will be rooting for them in the Euros now that we are out. I've been to Finland seven times now. Its fantastic for nature, very unspoiled with thousands of forests and lakes, but the scenery can be a bit monotonous at times. Finns themselves are either painfully shy or total lunatics so an interesting mix... Remember in January though there is hardly any daylight if you cross the Arctic Circle and not much in Helsinki; about 4 or 5 hours maximum.



Thanks mate. Any tips who to book with?
maccydee
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Finnish_blue » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

What kind of holiday are you after? Downhill skiing, cross country skiing, walking, snowmobile safari, city break, spa resort?
All of these types of winter holidays are popular here but vary depending on what part of the country you visit.
Finnish_blue
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 am

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Bluebird For Life » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am

maccydee wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.

It is cheaper than Norway as I have been to both Never been to Iceland so can’t compare I would say it’s about 30 to 40 % more expensive than the uk if that gives you an idea


Its cheaper than Iceland for sure. If you are going for skiing, most people stay in or near to Saariselka.


Iceland was fine. London prices. Everything was nicer so worth it.


Great country and will be rooting for them in the Euros now that we are out. I've been to Finland seven times now. Its fantastic for nature, very unspoiled with thousands of forests and lakes, but the scenery can be a bit monotonous at times. Finns themselves are either painfully shy or total lunatics so an interesting mix... Remember in January though there is hardly any daylight if you cross the Arctic Circle and not much in Helsinki; about 4 or 5 hours maximum.



Thanks mate. Any tips who to book with?


As Finnish Blue says it really depends where you want to go and what you want to do. I work in travel so have always booked my own stuff and would be happy to help if I can once you have a plan. Remember its not only dark in January but cold too... To go anywhere other than Helsinki or Tampere you pretty much have to use Finnair from London or Manchester. Finnair has an excellent internal flight schedule which allows you get pretty much anywhere from Helsinki within a couple of hours.
Bluebird For Life
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby maccydee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Loved the look of the wilderness lodge in Muotka. Just fancied exploring then from there with trips etc hopefully catch a glimpse of the aurora. Did similar to Iceland in January 2013 which was the best trip we have ever done in Europe.
maccydee
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby Bluebird For Life » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:29 pm

maccydee wrote:Loved the look of the wilderness lodge in Muotka. Just fancied exploring then from there with trips etc hopefully catch a glimpse of the aurora. Did similar to Iceland in January 2013 which was the best trip we have ever done in Europe.


That's in Saarilselka. You'd need to fly London/Helsinki/Ivalo - when I went up there I caught a bus from Rovaniemi to Lake Inari but it's a long journey so unless you have lots of time I'd take the flight.
Bluebird For Life
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby maccydee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Loved the look of the wilderness lodge in Muotka. Just fancied exploring then from there with trips etc hopefully catch a glimpse of the aurora. Did similar to Iceland in January 2013 which was the best trip we have ever done in Europe.
maccydee
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Re: Finland holiday help

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 am

maccydee wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:
maccydee wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for Finland. Looking to go January.

I am assuming you know how expensive the place can be especially if you want to eat out and drink


I know Norway is super expensive but I thought Finland was similar to Iceland which wasn't too bad.


Went to Helsinki a few years ago when we played there and it was about 7 euro a beer & food was super expensive too
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:09 pm



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 103 Barmy Army, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Evomint, Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MOZZER1, norms76, nubbsy, oohahhPaulMillar, paulh_85, pauly17, robbo and 160 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.