Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Malky Mackay Appointed '

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Can we expect some actions from Mr Tan? Its normally the case!

Scotland: Malky Mackay takes interim charge for Netherlands friendly

BBC

Friday 13th October 2017

Scottish FA performance director Malky Mackay is to take interim charge of the Scotland team, following Gordon Strachan's departure on Thursday.

The former Watford, Cardiff and Wigan manager, 45, will combine both jobs and take the team for the 9 November friendly with Netherlands at Pittodrie.

Strachan's time as Scotland manager ended by "mutual consent" after missing out on a World Cup play-off place.

Strachan, 60, had been in charge of the national side since January 2013.

Former Scotland defender Mackay, who also played for Celtic and Norwich, was appointed to his current role in December last year, succeeding Brian McClair.

Mackay was the subject of an English FA investigation in 2014 concerning text messages he had sent containing discriminatory language.

However, Mackay later apologised and underwent equality and diversity training, with his move to the SFA then backed by anti-racism groups.

On announcing Mackay's interim appointment and the upcoming friendly, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said it was "too premature to discuss" Strachan's long-term successor.

"Recruitment phase begins next week," he said. "It's difficult to put a timescale on replacement.

"We believe we will be able to compete to get the best person for this job.

"We are determined to have the right coach in place to lead Scotland to the European Championship in 2020.

"I think nationality is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Whoever is the best candidate can throw their hat in the ring and, if they are the best candidate, we'll select them for the job.

"We are looking for the best person for this opportunity and we will cast the net as far and wide as we have to.

"Ultimately we are in a result business. We had a manager in place for five years coming up. He'd had two campaigns. When the board met to discuss Gordon's position after the defeats to England and Slovakia [in 2016], we backed the manager, but we backed the manager on the proviso that we made the [World Cup] play-offs.

"We didn't reach the play-offs and we felt it was time for a new coach to give us a new impetus with emerging talent coming through the Scottish game and give us a real chance to make Euro 2020."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Now Malky is Scots interim manager

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

The Cobra wrote:Can we expect some actions from Mr Tan? Its normally the case!

Be mean if he did. I mean MM alledgedly only took him for a ride financially and treated him and some players with racial slurs

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:17 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Be mean if he did. I mean MM alledgedly only took him for a ride financially and treated him and some players with racial slurs

Tan will be fuming and will already be plotting to bring milky down, Tan has never stopped on Malky.

Malky Deserves a chance and well done,I'm glad he's been given a chance :thumbright: :thumbright:

Re: ' Malky Mackay Appointed '

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Reply FB

Andrew McNie: Malky's Tartan Army. Good Luck Malky, bring some pride and passion back to Scotland.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Rest assured if the allegations were correct than Tan would have had Malky straight in court. So I fully back Malky great manager for us and hope he succeeds with the Jocks

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Rest assured if the allegations were correct than Tan would have had Malky straight in court. So I fully back Malky great manager for us and hope he succeeds with the Jocks

Spot on Darren, No allegations have ever been proved even after Tan doing three years of investigations and wasting well over £1mill.

Its time for everyone to move on, nothing proved and Malky starts a new era :thumbright: :thumbright:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:52 pm

not a bad gig for him, off the back of getting wigan relegated to league one!

like brendan rodgers, he talks a good game. thing i remember from him at cardiff was when he presented himself as an innovator and modern thinker, when he was simply copying things that the likes of allardyce and wenger were doing 20 years previous. had a good first two years here, though.

he'll probably keep his youth role (or whatever it is). i don't think he'll get the job as there are out of work scottish managers with better CVs (moyes / lambert).

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Former Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay to take charge of first Scotland game after Gordon Strachan exit -

Friday 13th October 2017

Former Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay will take charge of the first Scotland game following Gordon Strachan's departure from the national team.

The Scottish FA confirmed that current Performance Director Mackay would take control on an interim basis and will be in the dugout for Scotland's friendly against the Netherlands on November 9.

Mackay emerged as the 2/1 joint favourite for the role, along with David Moyes, after Strachan's exit was announced on Thursday.

Mackay, who left Cardiff in 2013 and went on for a spell as Wigan Athletic manager, has been working as the Scottish FA's performance director since last year.

He led the Bluebirds to promotion in 2012/13 but was sacked in the club's Premier League season and replaced with Ole Gunnar Solksjaer.

The game against the Netherlands will be staged at Aberdeen's Pittodrie home and will see two teams who both failed to reach the World Cup in Russia battle it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Replies from FB

Anthony Morris: ATB malkey

David Cugini: waiting for tan to bring some new stories out....

Richard Davies: Deserves a chance, good luck Malky.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Reply from FB

Neil O'Mara: Good luck to him .done the job for Cardiff as a manager .

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Reply from FB

Neil O'Mara: Good luck to him .done the job for Cardiff as a manager .

:thumbup:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Scotland: Malky Mackay takes interim charge for Netherlands friendly

BBC

Friday 13th October 2017

Scottish FA performance director Malky Mackay is to take interim charge of the Scotland team, following Gordon Strachan's departure on Thursday.

The former Watford, Cardiff and Wigan manager, 45, will combine both jobs and take the team for the 9 November friendly with Netherlands at Pittodrie.

Strachan's time as Scotland manager ended by "mutual consent" after missing out on a World Cup play-off place.

Strachan, 60, had been in charge of the national side since January 2013.

Former Scotland defender Mackay, who also played for Celtic and Norwich, was appointed to his current role in December last year, succeeding Brian McClair.

Mackay was the subject of an English FA investigation in 2014 concerning text messages he had sent containing discriminatory language.

However, Mackay later apologised and underwent equality and diversity training, with his move to the SFA then backed by anti-racism groups.

On announcing Mackay's interim appointment and the upcoming friendly, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said it was "too premature to discuss" Strachan's long-term successor.

"Recruitment phase begins next week," he said. "It's difficult to put a timescale on replacement.

"We believe we will be able to compete to get the best person for this job.

"We are determined to have the right coach in place to lead Scotland to the European Championship in 2020.

"I think nationality is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Whoever is the best candidate can throw their hat in the ring and, if they are the best candidate, we'll select them for the job.

"We are looking for the best person for this opportunity and we will cast the net as far and wide as we have to.

"Ultimately we are in a result business. We had a manager in place for five years coming up. He'd had two campaigns. When the board met to discuss Gordon's position after the defeats to England and Slovakia [in 2016], we backed the manager, but we backed the manager on the proviso that we made the [World Cup] play-offs.

"We didn't reach the play-offs and we felt it was time for a new coach to give us a new impetus with emerging talent coming through the Scottish game and give us a real chance to make Euro 2020."

Should have kept his head down, Tan will have him again I reckon.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Poor Scotland.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Tough job. Good luck to him.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Tough job. Good luck to him.

I do wonder how they will respond to wigans no one upfront :lol:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Yeah and getting a club promotion to the top league for the first time since I've been a fan in the sixties.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Yeah and getting a club promotion to the top league for the first time since I've been a fan in the sixties.

I'm pretty sure you can't do that for a national team but thanks for your comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :occasion5: :lol: :lol: thanks for that after watching that game :lol:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that for a national team but thanks for your comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :occasion5: :lol: :lol: thanks for that after watching that game :lol:

Obviously, but he's well capable of taking that team forward a little with his tough tactics and motivational skills as was proved in our promotional season.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Good luck Malky. Deserves the chance

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Obviously, but he's well capable of taking that team forward a little with his tough tactics and motivational skills as was proved in our promotional season.

Oh what about wigan?

Or should they interview every manager who had a good couple of seasons a number of years ago.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Oh what about wigan?

Good job " CLUELESS CLOWN OGS " Did not go for the job or was recommended by The Dal ;)

Or should they interview every manager who had a good couple of seasons a number of years ago.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:50 am

Good luck Malky! :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 am

Forever Blue wrote:Reply FB

Andrew McNie: Malky's Tartan Army. Good Luck Malky, bring some pride and passion back to Scotland.

Good luck Malky right mam for the job and the right age should you make it permanent

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:07 am

cardiff 74 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Reply FB

Good luck Malky right mam for the job and the right age should you make it permanent

If he's the right man time will tell but he certainly deserves another chance. Tough job.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:07 am

2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Cheers Annis.
He failed at Wigan but virtually every manager gets sacked from one job and moves to another. It's the managerial merry-go-round.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:21 am

I am not really interested who Scotlands next manager is.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 am

Good luck Malky and with a decent run of results who knows the job could end up with you and i hope it does :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Can't stand Scotland after their cheating antics of the past.. so hope he loses every game .. nothing personal