Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THIS NAME HAS BEEN MENTIONED

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:08 am

Steve Reid(with a get out clause).
On loan.
I am not saying Def, but they have approached him I believe.

Re: THIS NAME HAS BEEN MENTIONED

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:11 am

waste of money - injured all the time.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am

1995–1997 Stourbridge F.C. 88 appearances 59 goals
1997–2003 Milwall - 158 appearances 19 goals
2003–present - Blackburn - 109 appearances 6 goals
2009– QPR Loan spell - 2 appearances 0 goals

Looks like his career is on a downwards spiral
He'll be 29 in March (out of interest)

Has his loan spell at QPR finished now (2 games seems odd)?
Last edited by Merlin on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 am

qauality if fit

Sack

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:13 am

good player though if he stays fit,could be worth a risk if theres a get out clause

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:47 am

Merlin wrote:1995–1997 Stourbridge F.C. 88 appearances 59 goals
1997–2003 Milwall - 158 appearances 19 goals
2003–present - Blackburn - 109 appearances 6 goals
2009– QPR Loan spell - 2 appearances 0 goals

Looks like his career is on a downwards spiral
He'll be 29 in March (out of interest)

Has his loan spell at QPR finished now (2 games seems odd)?

2 games as his knee broke down. Again.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:50 am

If we rejected every player that has experienced injury problems we wouldn't have had half of the stars we've had. I don't believe we'd sign Steven Reid on loan unless we knew he would stay fit and could perform. I'd be quite happy to have him on board provided he is fit. Saying that, I have a feeling we'd be signing him as back up!

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:53 am

Zabier wrote:If we rejected every player that has experienced injury problems we wouldn't have had half of the stars we've had. I don't believe we'd sign Steven Reid on loan unless we knew he would stay fit and could perform. I'd be quite happy to have him on board provided he is fit. Saying that, I have a feeling we'd be signing him as back up!

Fact? He's had knee problems for two years. Irish manager believes his career may be over as a consequence. QPR loan, 2 games as his problem knee broke down again. That's hardly in the distant past.

Reid, with no injury on top form, quality Prem player. Which means he wouldn't be available for loan.

I find it difficult to believe there are no midfielders available for loan without the injury baggage.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 am

Yeah, of course there are midfielders available but for a club in our position the options start to narrow down. We're looking for a central midfielder, on loan, who won't demand budget breaking wages, where the club are willing to let him go to a Premiership chasing team (which means we have quality in our squad which can't guarantee him first team football), without an injury record meaning he's too shit for the Premiership but needs to be better than Championship...

Our options are quite limited given our requirements. Unfortunately we're in the position where if they're better than what we have they're playing in the Premiership or injury prone or they're not good enough.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:00 am

Zabier wrote:Yeah, of course there are midfielders available but for a club in our position the options start to narrow down. We're looking for a central midfielder, on loan, who won't demand budget breaking wages, where the club are willing to let him go to a Premiership chasing team (which means we have quality in our squad which can't guarantee him first team football), without an injury record meaning he's too shit for the Premiership but needs to be better than Championship...

Our options are quite limited given our requirements. Unfortunately we're in the position where if they're better than what we have they're playing in the Premiership or injury prone or they're not good enough.

Well, I'd say we can guarantee football, what with our non existent central midfield.

No, if the only realistic option is a player whose recent loan spell ended due to a reoccurance of a problem with a knee injury he's suffered for years, then we basically are dead in the water.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:03 am

Yeah, we all know that our midfield is awful but the outside perspective is often different.

Like I said, Reid isn't our first port of call. We've been strongly linked with Watson so I reckon Reid would be signed to bulk up the midfield as back up rather than be a first team player.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:11 am

Zabier wrote:Yeah, we all know that our midfield is awful but the outside perspective is often different.

Like I said, Reid isn't our first port of call. We've been strongly linked with Watson so I reckon Reid would be signed to bulk up the midfield as back up rather than be a first team player.

There's somewhat of a validity to that, but just don't agree. Gets re-injured, sent back, which is a very real probability, waste of a loan.

Stock, Watson are two options who would help, then McPhail back - so Stock, Watson, Rae, Ledley, mcPhail, Taiwo, Wildig.

We'd have enough cover in central midfield without needing a risk in Reid.

We need a striker, target man in as a far higher priority than Reid.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 am

Yeah, I do see where you're coming from nerd, and part of me agrees. I suppose I'm just an eternal optimist and feel we can do a Ross McCormack/ Chris Burke with every player! :lol:

You are right about the target man. Jay needs a boot up his rear. I also think we need full back cover on the left because if Kev is injured again we're screwed.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 am

No mention of Nick Carle yet.

palace are in dire straights, but still getting results.

I reckon he'd be better shout than any of these. What would he cost ? £500k.

We need two though, so 2 of Stock, Carle, Reid and Watson would be excellent.

As for a striker, one of Henderson, Helguson, Stead (if available) or Parkin (if the new Preston manager wants to switch some players around) or Beattie or Kitson on loan. What about mcLeod from Charlton - being chased by Hearts at the mo.

Suppose kris Boyd is out of the question :lol:

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:28 am

Kris Boyd is the most overrated striker mentioned.

Yes, tonnes of goals in Jockland - against poor quality defences. Don't get me wrong, he is a quality finisher but his all round game is poor, relying upon working in the penalty area. Very lazy in training, all of which tends to indicate he just does enough to get by in the SPL.

His goalscoring record has been incredibly good in the SPL for years, yet still remains in the SPL - for good reason.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 am

nerd, I totally agree. There's a reason that he's never picked to play European games for Rangers... because he's completely out of his depth. There's also a reason why his scoring record against Celtic is poor... because he's out of his depth.

He's a decent Championship striker at best.

I'd like Helguson as a back up target man. He's so aggressive at times it's great.