All change for the boxing - Pulev out

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Chris Holmes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Anthony Joshua will fight Carlos Takam in his world heavyweight title defence, live on Sky Sports Box Office, after an injury forced Kubrat Pulev to pull out.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189110

Joshua was set to defend his WBA 'Super' and IBF heavyweight titles against the mandatory challenger known as 'The Cobra' in front of 80,000 fans at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on October 28.

Frenchman Takam is rated at No 3 with the governing body and has been on the hunt for a showdown with the British star, and gets his golden chance at ripping away Joshua's titles in the Welsh capital after Pulev picked up a shoulder injury in sparring.

"I received a call from Kalle Sauerland late afternoon to inform me that Pulev had injured his shoulder and maybe ruled out of the fight - this was later confirmed by his doctor," said promoter Eddie Hearn.

"IBF rules state that the mandatory will go to the next fighter in line which is Carlos Takam.

"When the Pulev fight was announced I made a deal with Takam's team to begin camp and be on standby for this fight.

"When I called them (on Monday evening) they were overjoyed and good to go.

"It's a difficult position for AJ having prepared meticulously for the style and height of Pulev, he now faces a completely different style and challenge in Takam - this hasn't happened in his career before but he is ready for all comers on October 28."

Joshua's clash with Takam is part of a huge night of action in Cardiff where the 2012 London Olympic gold medal man's bitter foe Dillian Whyte aims to take a giant step to his first world-title shot by facing Robert Helenius for the WBC Silver strap.

Kal Yafai defends his WBA super-flyweight title against Japanese mandatory challenger Sho Ishida.

Irish sensation and former Sky Sports Scholar Katie Taylor challenges for her first world title as she takes on two-weight world champion Anahi Esther Sanchez for the WBA lightweight crown.

There's a mouth-watering British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight battle between Frank Buglioni, Lenroy Thomas and Dave Allen rematch for the Commonwealth heavyweight title and Team GB Olympian and Welsh talent Joe Cordina appears in his fifth pro outing.

Anthony Joshua will defend his IBF and WBA 'super' heavyweight titles against Carlos Takam on October 28 at Cardiff's Principality Stadium, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
Chris Holmes

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat