Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Playing Lee Tomlin? '

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 am

Can Neil Warnock resist playing Lee Tomlin following Birmingham City loss?

By Joshua Slack

Tuesday 17th October 2017

Summer signing Lee Tomlin has barely featured since his controversial summer move from Bristol City, but following the Bluebirds abysmal display in the 1-0 loss against Birmingham City can Neil Warnock resist playing the midfielder?

The Bluebirds were poor from the off-set against Birmingham City and suffered, losing 1-0 courtesy of Che Adams’ first-half strike.

And for most of the game, the Bluebirds lacked any sort of nous or creativity, with Kenneth Zohore being limited to the service he received up front.

It was a bitterly disappointing performance from Warnock’s men, and that begs the question whether Tomlin should be given a chance to impress at Middlesbrough this weekend.

After all, he was Warnock’s most expensive acquisition of the summer, costing the Bluebirds a total of £3.30 million.

Due to Cardiff City’s ferocious start to the season, Tomlin hasn’t had a look-in but that could all change when Warnock’s troops make the long journey to the North East on Saturday.

Tomlin is certainly a player who adds a different element to the side, and when he signed, everyone was licking their lips at the prospect of him and Zohore linking-up.

That could now become a reality on Saturday. If they hit it off, it could prove to be a deadly partnership, especially if its given time.

The former Bristol City man is capable of the unexpected, there is little doubt about that. He showed that last season against the Bluebirds, too, hitting a sensational strike past Ben Amos as the Bluebirds won the Severnside Derby 2-1 at the Cardiff City Stadium.

If Tomlin is given a run of games, he does have the potential to be that game-changer which they desperately missed against Birmingham City.

He’s a controversial character, there is little doubt about that but if given a chance to shine, he could well be Warnock’s go to man – the talent is there, that’s for sure.

Re: ' Playing Lee Tomlin? '

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Far more skill and vision than Bryson. I hope he gets his chance sooner rather than later.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:53 pm

he's a very clever footballer, and he should be playing a part, even if he isn't a first team starter yet because of the criminal charge.

looking into the future, i struggle to see how colin will integrate him into the team. the team is currently settled, with two wingers, one up front. could he play in a midfield three? probably, but he isn't going to be strong defensively. i would have him in the team as he is a set piece taker, and we currently don't have one.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I just can't see Warnock starting with Tomlin on Saturday because Warnock will always play for a draw away from home so I fully expect a defensive midfield set up being played

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Depends where his head is at the moment.. the impending court case will be on his mind, which takes its toll mentally and physically.
I trust Warnock to decide and to choose the team.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Could he come on to replace Zohore and Ward to come on out wide???
I'm sure he's played up top before.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm

bluemun wrote:Far more skill and vision than Bryson. I hope he gets his chance sooner rather than later.

thing is..Bryson is not in the team for his skill and vision.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 pm

dogfound wrote:
bluemun wrote:Far more skill and vision than Bryson. I hope he gets his chance sooner rather than later.

He's also one of the best midfielders we've had in a long while imo

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 pm

dogfound wrote:

My point would be, we're becoming very predictable and both Rowett and Cotterill had the tactics to nullify us. Tomlin is unpredictable (a bit of a Taarabt) and would provide something we need at present.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm

bluemun wrote:
dogfound wrote:

My point would be, we're becoming very predictable and both Rowett and Cotterill had the tactics to nullify us. Tomlin is unpredictable (a bit of a Taarabt) and would provide something we need at present.

for me to include Tomlin it requires more than a player for player swap..our performances so far have not relied on good possession or much possession at all...its been get it up o the final 3rd and let the attackers get on with it..for Tomlin { who is not gets stuck in..or speed merchant player } to be on the ball it would need far better service to him than we have seen so far this season...one thing having one of these rabits out of hats quarterback types, but you do have to pass him the ball in decent areas with time to pick his head up.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Not sure Tomlin fits into a 4-3-3, think we would need to switch to 4-2-3-1 and play him in the 10 role behind Zohore. Gunnarson and Bryson holding but both are capable of forward runs, I would start Ward ahead of NML too who has gone off the boil the last few games after his superb start

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Agreed.4-2-3-1 would be the fit for Tomlin. Also agree that Ward should replace Mendez.
Things do need to change after Brum, but Warnock more likely to opt for wingbacks when Paterson if fully fit.