Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We took some big stick about our away support at Boro

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 am

This photo was posted on Facebook on football away days and we are taking some stick for our lack of numbers at Middlesbrough on a Tuesday Night.

Hopefully now that we are right up there in the Championship and been top for most of the time and its a Saturday,3pm, not on tv,pay on the gate,we finally take fairly good numbers 800 plus?

Less than a 100 Cardiff fans away at Boro that night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: We took some big stick about our away support at Boro

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 am

I was there with you and others that night and it was a good night, despite the low away support. Sometimes prefer nights like that compared to those when we have big away followings.

Agree we should get at least 800 at least on Saturday, considering the timing and where we are in the league.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I was there with you and others that night and it was a good night, despite the low away support. Sometimes prefer nights like that compared to those when we have big away followings.

Agree we should get at least 800 at least on Saturday, considering the timing and where we are in the league.

Ned, yes they are the best away games to go to, always a laugh :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 am

dont get your away suport thing mate.

when it actually meant something all these knockers {well the vast majority } didnt come anywhere near our place.

and where were you at Ninian Park wasnt just some chant..it really was where were they at Ninian Park.

boro?..they always brought loads :lol: :lol: ..top of the table only lost 1 { under j charlton } i doubt there were 10 there let alone a 100

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am

dogfound wrote:dont get your away suport thing mate.

when it actually meant something all these knockers {well the vast majority } didnt come anywhere near our place.

and where were you at Ninian Park wasnt just some chant..it really was where were they at Ninian Park.

boro?..they always brought loads :lol: :lol: ..top of the table only lost 1 { under j charlton } i doubt there were 10 there let alone a 100

Wilson(if thats yr name),

Boro, have not only come to Cardiff,but have taken ST.Mary Street in 1994 if you remeber.
Boro are the smallest of the three clubs.

I do remember we use to sing to most clubs "Where we you at Ninian Park?" as the majority of clubs brought terrible support to us.
Fulham,Oldham,Preston,Charlton,Blackburn,Luton,Lincoln etc would be lucky to bring 50 fans to us at Ninian Park.

Yes I love looking at the crowds of all clubs and its fascinating how times have changed big time, We've lost our big away supports and other clubs which were crap in them days, are now tripping our away supports and not doing as well as us.

Since the aged of 7, I have got the Sunday papers and studied crowds, I know prob every clubs home/away supports from Non Leage to the Scottish to the English Leagues, sad really prob to you, but I love keeping updated on it all :thumbright: :thumb right:

For me a club with out support may as well not exist and away games were my most enjoyable days :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Look at Plymouth last night, bottom of Div 1(old div 3) took 428 away fans to Blackburn 610 mile rd trip on a Tuesday night, Brilliant away support in my opinion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Boro, have not only come to Cardiff,but have taken ST.Mary Street in 1994 if you remeber.

I do remember we use to sing to most clubs "Where we you at Ninian Park?" as the majority of clubs brought terrible support to us.
Fulham,Oldham,Preston,Charlton,Blackburn,Luton,Lincoln etc would be lucky to bring 50 fans to us at Ninian Park.

Yes I love looking at the crowds of all clubs and its fascinating how times have changed big time, We've lost our big away supports and other clubs which were crap in them days, are now tripping our away supports and not doing as well as us.

Since the aged of 7, I have got the Sunday papers and studied crowds, I know prob every clubs home/away supports from Non Leage to the Scottish to the English Leagues, sad really prob to you, but I love keeping updated on it all :thumbright: :thumb right:

For me a club with out support may as well not exist and away games were my most enjoyable days :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

i dont think your interest is sad.{ i love looking at attendances myself, but how many go away is something i lost interest years ago .because going to the Den or Eland rd or Old Trafford means something totally different now to when i started going }..but do feel some of your remarks are unfair on our suport
truth be told there are thousands and thousands of blokes in their 50s and 60s now travelling the country with various clubs then giving it big on FB that they went here or there..who never went anywhere without mummy when they were in their 20s and 30s....
and yes i remember boro in 94..was unexpected..because they had never shown any interest in coming here prior.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Ummm ye Middlesbrough.15 years a premier league club.but watch if they struggle in the championship their ground soon becomes a sea of empty seats.our home support is at a 50 year high which is pleasing unfortunately for a lot of away games its evaporated.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:09 pm

skiprat wrote:Ummm ye Middlesbrough.15 years a premier league club.but watch if they struggle in the championship their ground soon becomes a sea of empty seats.our home support is at a 50 year high which is pleasing unfortunately for a lot of away games its evaporated.

What about these and I can name another 15 lower division club? ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189145

Boro's home support is crap by the way, worse than ours.

We were on about away support :thumbright:

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

i dont think your interest is sad.{ i love looking at attendances myself, but how many go away is something i lost interest years ago .because going to the Den or Eland rd or Old Trafford means something totally different now to when i started going }..but do feel some of your remarks are unfair on our suport
truth be told there are thousands and thousands of blokes in their 50s and 60s now travelling the country with various clubs then giving it big on FB that they went here or there..who never went anywhere without mummy when they were in their 20s and 30s....
and yes i remember boro in 94..was unexpected..because they had never shown any interest in coming here prior.

:lol:

Boro home 94, you have to Respect them for that.

Yes many of our older fans have lost interest in following City away like yourself, but thats the same with many clubs, yet those clubs away supports have nearly all increased massively.

Can you show me any bad remarks I have ever said about our away support please?
All I might have ever said I thought we might have taken more, in fact I try evey way to push our away support due to it being so low. Yet many say its a long way,its an early kick off,its a Tuesday night, its live on Sky,its bad weather, many are on holidays still, many go with Wales now, Surely thats the same for 95% of clubs?

The real truth in my mind it was killed of by two major reasons The Disgraceful Rebrand & the Authorities/Club being way over the top on our fans, yet for 6 years our fans are now prob one of the best behaved in the Country.

These Fans still go/had less success than us and further to travel
Link

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 pm

ive been pretty consistent about this...i feel our fans have been hammered unfairly by the OB for years and years...not just arrests and banning orders but how games have been policed..over policed with all sorts of restrictions..
i do also see travelling with Wales having an effect this last couple of years. Wales have never taken away support in the numbers that go now. and the majority are City.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 pm

dogfound wrote:ive been pretty consistent about this...i feel our fans have been hammered unfairly by the OB for years and years...not just arrests and banning orders but how games have been policed..over policed with all sorts of restrictions..
i do also see travelling with Wales having an effect this last couple of years. Wales have never taken away support in the numbers that go now. and the majority are City.

A lot of truth in your post :thumbright:

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:ive been pretty consistent about this...i feel our fans have been hammered unfairly by the OB for years and years...not just arrests and banning orders but how games have been policed..over policed with all sorts of restrictions..

put it like this...if some freedom to privacy group managed to get CCTV outlawed and the OB went on strike for a season those league tables would look a hell of a lot different.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

put it like this...if some freedom to privacy group managed to get CCTV outlawed and the OB went on strike for a season those league tables would look a hell of a lot different.

:lol:

That would be guaranteed :lol:

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I used to go away all the time, and so did loads of my mates, it holds no interest at all for me now, I didn't even go away in the Premier League. As for the Boro home incident, 150+ Valleys beauties were in The Staff Club just around the corner. We knew nothing about what happened until it was too late. They were different and yet far more exciting times IMO.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:49 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I used to go away all the time, and so did loads of my mates, it holds no interest at all for me now, I didn't even go away in the Premier League. As for the Boro home incident, 150+ Valleys beauties were in The Staff Club just around the corner. We knew nothing about what happened until it was too late. They were different and yet far more exciting times IMO.

100% agree far more exciting times / passionate etc :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
skiprat wrote:Ummm ye Middlesbrough.15 years a premier league club.but watch if they struggle in the championship their ground soon becomes a sea of empty seats.our home support is at a 50 year high which is pleasing unfortunately for a lot of away games its evaporated.

I'm not here to start an argument, but I take exception to Boro's home support being crap.
We have support just like 95% of all league clubs when your doing well you get more than
when your doing poorly.
At the moment our seasons average is just over 25k this is on the back of a relegation with a team
showing no attacking intent at all. while we were expected to be up at the top it has not materialised
so far, thus floating fans have yet to be enticed and we have yet to play any 'attractive opposition' with
exception of Sheff Utd. nobody has had a decent following at the riverside, all the other totals combinre
probably don't amount to 2k combined. this doesn't help final averages
For example Barnsley had an 18k crowd for our game 5k Boro fans, I would expect Barnsley get a good
few attendances like that over the course of a season. Scewing their average greatly.
I belive you are currently sat at 20/21k and you have had a good start to the campaign. Crap crowds?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 pm

oriss wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I'm not here to start an argument, but I take exception to Boro's home support being crap.
We have support just like 95% of all league clubs when your doing well you get more than
when your doing poorly.
At the moment our seasons average is just over 25k this is on the back of a relegation with a team
showing no attacking intent at all. while we were expected to be up at the top it has not materialised
so far, thus floating fans have yet to be enticed and we have yet to play any 'attractive opposition' with
exception of Sheff Utd. nobody has had a decent following at the riverside, all the other totals combinre
For example Barnsley had an 18k crowd for our game 5k Boro fans, I would expect Barnsley get a good
few attendances like that over the course of a season. Scewing their average greatly.
I belive you are currently sat at 20/21k and you have had a good start to the campaign. Crap crowds?

I will start by saying your away support the last 10 years has been class :thumbright: :thumbright:

But your away support deserts fast and faster than the average club that has been in top flight football so much.

If you don't go straight back up, your crowds next season will go as low as 13,000 and even lower if not promoted again.
I have been to Boro 7 times and usually your Stadium is more than half empty. Don't get me wrong I am not praising ours one bit, but your fans at home desert far to fast.

I rem when your crowds were as low as 5,000 at home and I was also at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea v Boro in the play-offs when you took 10,000 away fans there.

So I have seen your ups and downs, but as you have spent quite a number of years in the Prem, you should keep 20,000 plus home crowds in the Championship for a number of years like Derby,Leeds,Forest, Sheff Wed do, but you don't.

I do agree with you many clubs coming up to you and down to us don't bring very good away support.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:This photo was posted on Facebook on football away days and we are taking some stick for our lack of numbers at Middlesbrough on a Tuesday Night.

Hopefully now that we are right up there in the Championship and been top for most of the time and its a Saturday,3pm, not on tv,pay on the gate,we finally take fairly good numbers 800 plus?

I can see myself in that 'photo'

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:This photo was posted on Facebook on football away days and we are taking some stick for our lack of numbers at Middlesbrough on a Tuesday Night.

I can see myself in that 'photo'

:thumbright: :bluebird:

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
oriss wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

when your doing poorly.

I will start by saying your away support the last 10 years has been class :thumbright: :thumbright:

But your away support deserts fast and faster than the average club that has been in top flight football so much.

If you don't go straight back up, your crowds next season will go as low as 13,000 and even lower if not promoted again.
I have been to Boro 7 times and usually your Stadium is more than half empty. Don't get me wrong I am not praising ours one bit, but your fans at home desert far to fast.

I rem when your crowds were as low as 5,000 at home and I was also at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea v Boro in the play-offs when you took 10,000 away fans there.

So I have seen your ups and downs, but as you have spent quite a number of years in the Prem, you should keep 20,000 plus home crowds in the Championship for a number of years like Derby,Leeds,Forest, Sheff Wed do, but you don't.

I do agree with you many clubs coming up to you and down to us don't bring very good away support.

Thanks for the well thought out response, a few points
one Yes I concur we can be quick on the trigger when it comes to a mass desertion, but only up to a point.
I think we have about 12k to 15k hardcore support when we get to these levels the drop off is much slower.
two. we had 3 sub 10k averages in the mid 80's these are the only sub 10k since about 1902 and we only joined the league
in 1900. all clubs averages suffered then.
three you have to remember the whole of the north east is dominated by the gruesome twosome, we really only draw
support from 3 of the 4 borough's of Teesside, namely boro, Stockton and Redcar. we also draw a few from North Yorkshire
but you don't have to travel many miles south before Leeds fans become more prevalent. Given this we don't do to bad for crowds. We are 16th top supported club in the all time standings and we really haven't won anything of note.

Finally I was one of those 10,000 at Stamford bridge on that great hot sunny day.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:13 pm

oriss wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
oriss wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

when your doing poorly.

Thanks for the well thought out response, a few points
one Yes I concur we can be quick on the trigger when it comes to a mass desertion, but only up to a point.
I think we have about 12k to 15k hardcore support when we get to these levels the drop off is much slower.
two. we had 3 sub 10k averages in the mid 80's these are the only sub 10k since about 1902 and we only joined the league
in 1900. all clubs averages suffered then.
three you have to remember the whole of the north east is dominated by the gruesome twosome, we really only draw
support from 3 of the 4 borough's of Teesside, namely boro, Stockton and Redcar. we also draw a few from North Yorkshire
but you don't have to travel many miles south before Leeds fans become more prevalent. Given this we don't do to bad for crowds. We are 16th top supported club in the all time standings and we really haven't won anything of note.

Finally I was one of those 10,000 at Stamford bridge on that great hot sunny day.

For me thats good enough 16th top supported club :thumbright:

I was in the Boro end that day,it was awesome support and 500 Boro lads walked down the Kings rd, even Paddington was packed with Boro, Chelsea's area.

I do agree as well your areas are limited where you pull from, Stockton and Redcar is where mainly all yr lads came from.
I live in Mallorca now so won't be coming as my next Cardiff game is in November. Although I wish I had booked for Boro, I mostly just book dates before the games come out. So it will be my first Boro v Cardiff game I've missed for many a year.

All the best.

By the way Gary Monk detests Cardiff and will be right up for the game.