Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MONK ON HIS TEAM'S "UNFORTUNATE" LOSS!

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Middlesbrough manager Garry Monk says his side deserved to beat Cardiff despite defeat
By Jordan Jones

Saturday 21st Oct 2017

Despite suffering a late defeat to Cardiff City, Middlesbrough boss Garry Monk said his side deserved to beat the Bluebirds at the Riverside Stadium.

The home side had a bigger share of possession as they restricted Cardiff to 41% of the ball, as well as having more shots but it was Cardiff who tested the opposition keeper more with three shots on target, compared to Boro’s two.

Speaking to The Northern Echo, the former Swans boss said that the result was very harsh on his side as Joe Ralls struck a penalty after a foul by Adama Traore with five minutes to go.

“If anything, we felt we could be the ones to create that situation to get a goal. It was a really harsh result on ourselves, but that’s kind of the position we’re in.”

The 38 year-old who was appointed Middlesbrough boss back in the summer after leaving Leeds United admitted he knew how Cardiff would set-up before the game but offered their fair share of chances.

“We knew going into the game it wasn’t going to be one with a lot of chances because of the way Cardiff set up, so we knew we were going to have to show patience.”

“I think we did that, and as the second half went on, we were in the ascendancy and if anyone was going to be winning, it was going to be us in that 20 minutes before the penalty."

For Boro it was their fifth consecutive defeat as they fell out of the top twelve of the Championship, as Cardiff recorded their first away victory since 2012 at the Riverside.

Re: MONK ON HIS TEAM'S "UNFORTUNATE" LOSS!

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Jack b*stard :laughing6:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:42 am

We having been doing that all season! The stupid jack b*stard should have done his homework. Nobody has a devine right to win, in the end it is about who can take their chances and we took ours! :ayatollah: :thumbright:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:23 am

You get what you deserve you ginger little gremlin

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:31 am

hope that the jack tw*t gets sacked this morning..

but do wish someone would explain basics to these wannabe journos...like erm a defeat is when the other team scores more.
5 consecutive defeats...beaen 1-1 by Fulham, 2-2 by Barnsley and 2 -2 by Brentford..

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:57 am

dogfound wrote:hope that the jack tw*t gets sacked this morning..

but do wish someone would explain basics to these wannabe journos...like erm a defeat is when the other team scores more.
5 consecutive defeats...beaen 1-1 by Fulham, 2-2 by Barnsley and 2 -2 by Brentford..

It is shocking how often there are errors like that! It is like they must write these things at 3 in the morning with a hangover and have no editor or something!!! :?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:23 am

dogfound wrote:hope that the jack tw*t gets sacked this morning..

And the useless hack receives money for scribbling this inaccurate shite :lol:

Monk ya zoomer only one statistic matters .....who scores the most goals.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 am

When are people going to realise that possession stats are meaningless.

They created next to nothing, a few long shots. Etheridge could have nipped off for a few pints he was so under employed.

We had 4-5 really good chances and even most of their fans had us as deserved winners

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 am

Lawnmower wrote:When are people going to realise that possession stats are meaningless.

They created next to nothing, a few long shots. Etheridge could have nipped off for a few pints he was so under employed.

We had 4-5 really good chances and even most of their fans had us as deserved winners

Spot on Tim :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

From what was shown in highlights and stats i saw they didn't muster a worthwhile attempt on goal! While we missed 4 easy chances, How can that be conscued as deserving to win? :roll:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 am

Weren’t most of us bemoaning Ireland though and saying we were robbed etc?

I mean even some of their fans said we deserved the win but some of the posts on here are contradictory to what we said about Ireland beating us.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 am

Whys dis he leave Leeds - for me they’re better equipped than Boro, but then cant polish up a club with a turd as a manager

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:54 am

He's f*cking deluded.

Must have had his back to the pitch if he thinks his team deserved to win that game.

Just ask the Boro fans who got constantly pissed off with the sideways and backwards passing of a team who created virtually nothing and they were not afraid to let him know it either.

Trying to persuade himself and no doubt his chairman that there was an element of misfortune in their defeat.

There wasn't - they were just shit.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm

The Ginger Whinger is out of his depth. His chairman and fans must see his blame-game excuses and especially after he was given considerable funds. And he's got weird eyes.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 pm

To state the obvious, if you don't score any goals, you can't win a game. That's not unfortunate.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Lawnmower wrote:When are people going to realise that possession stats are meaningless.

Tim, it's a way of teams (occasionally including our own) of covering over the cracks when their team doesn't achieve its core aim during a game, i.e. to score more goals than the opposition! ;) :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:27 pm

maccydee wrote:Weren’t most of us bemoaning Ireland though and saying we were robbed etc?

I mean even some of their fans said we deserved the win but some of the posts on here are contradictory to what we said about Ireland beating us.

i dont remember Ireland creating anything like the chances we did yesterday..
had they im sure very few would be shouting robbed.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 pm

I watched the game today and I believe Boro were fortunate to get away with just a 1-0 defeat. Monk has to say something but the simple truth is below the top line stat of possession you get a better feel of just how superior Cardiff were yesterday.

Yesterday Boro made 361 short passes against our 235 and both teams played 67 long passes but the vast majority of the Boro short passes were played in front of the Cardiff team. This type of tippy tapp football can result in higher % possession but it tells you little of what was done with it.

Yesterday only 54% of Boro shots on goal were from within the penalty area, compare this to the fact that 76% of our shots were from within the penalty area. Why? probably because we absolutely eclipsed their team when it came to tackles with Bamba, Manga, Bryson, Morrison and Hoilett shutting down Boro attacks time and time again leaving Boro no choice than to shoot harmlessly from outside the penalty areas.

In attacking terms Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Bennett, Manga and Ward completed 11 dribbles in the game that against only 5 by Boro players.

We should also appreciate the job done by NW yesterday who changed to a 3-4-3 formation and it worked perfectly.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:21 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:Weren’t most of us bemoaning Ireland though and saying we were robbed etc?

But above someone states it’s all about amount of goals.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:37 pm

monk is deluded total fool

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm

bluebird up north wrote:monk is deluded total fool
typical jack

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:48 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Struggling to see your point at all here sorry dude.

Ireland came to catch us on the break, scored against the run of play with their second shot on target and shut up shop for the last half an hour.

We had more chances on target than Boro. Scored in the 86th minute and missed a sitter a few minutes later.

Other than the same score there are no parallels?!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Struggling to see your point at all here sorry dude.

Ireland came to catch us on the break, scored against the run of play with their second shot on target and shut up shop for the last half an hour.

We had more chances on target than Boro. Scored in the 86th minute and missed a sitter a few minutes later.

Other than the same score there are no parallels?!

From Jock.

Monk ya zoomer only one statistic matters .....who scores the most goals.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:22 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes they did...
never the less i did feel robbed..as im sure you did..and am also sure that had Ireland won one nil but created all the chances we did yesterday i would have seen it a bit different and more palletable..pretty sure you would too.?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:25 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes they did...
never the less i did feel robbed..as im sure you did..and am also sure that had Ireland won one nil but created all the chances we did yesterday i would have seen it a bit different and more palletable..pretty sure you would too.?

And that is why we football fans are hypocrites.

I am too. Raging that we lost to Ireland. Let’s be honest though we played that way under Malky quite a bit. When we go away to some of the big hitters in this division may well do it. (I hope not)