Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

alan warboys

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:31 pm

I've seen alan warboys score a hat trick when young think it was v hull city we were at home, god he was good

Re: alan warboys

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 pm

images.jpeg

The record for the fastest hat-trick belongs to Alan Warboys, who scored three goals in just ten first-half minutes against Carlisle United on 6th March 1971. Warboys also netted a fourth before the interval in the 4-0 victory over the Cumbrians.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Maybe you are confusing this with Cardiff vHull when Cardiff won 6 -3 (if memory serves). Toshack got a hat trick one header, one left foot and one right foot shot, and Clarkey was upfront with.
:thumbup: :bluebird:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Some of the City players back then helped coach local teams. Warboys was helping out with Llantwit Fardre under16's, and providing Cardiff were at home could be found standing on the touchline at Tonteg Park on a Saturday morning watching his youngsters in action.
Last I heard of him he was an HGV driver back up North.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Lengee wrote:Maybe you are confusing this with Cardiff vHull when Cardiff won 6 -3 (if memory serves). Toshack got a hat trick one header, one left foot and one right foot shot, and Clarkey was upfront with.

was defo Warboys against Carlisle..4 first half goals, i think we paid half the Toshack money for him..
20k plus at MP too.
infact bigger crowds at NP that season AFTER selling Tosh...despite it being popular to repeat the myth that pple stopped going when we sold him.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 pm

dogfound wrote:
Lengee wrote:Maybe you are confusing this with Cardiff vHull when Cardiff won 6 -3 (if memory serves). Toshack got a hat trick one header, one left foot and one right foot shot, and Clarkey was upfront with.

was defo Warboys against Carlisle..4 first half goals, i think we paid half the Toshack money for him..
20k plus at MP too.
infact bigger crowds at NP that season AFTER selling Tosh...despite it being popular to repeat the myth that pple stopped going when we sold him.

Yes, Warboys scored 4 first half goals against Carlisle, and I think the Cardiff v Hull game that was mentioned actually finished 6-0.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:47 pm

And take a look at that shirt pure blue with a distinctive bluebird badge .still makes me evil when I see those heinous red shirts.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 pm

I have a memory of Toshack scoring a hat trick in a 5-1 victory over Hull??

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Valley Lad wrote:I have a memory of Toshack scoring a hat trick in a 5-1 victory over Hull??

Yes. We beat them 6-0 & 5-1 both at home in consecutive seasons if I remember correctly.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 am

Valley Lad wrote:I have a memory of Toshack scoring a hat trick in a 5-1 victory over Hull??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIWTDTGqus

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm

That was the year we missed out on promotion lost to Watford who were bottom at home and 5-1 away to Sheffield Utd.when we sold tosh we didn't spend the money straight away played woodruff up front with Clark for to long and dropped points if we'd bought warboys straight away might have been a different story

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Remember that day so well, seeing him thunder down the middle and let fly for one of his goal from 25+ yds - happy days!!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 pm

actionman wrote:That was the year we missed out on promotion lost to Watford who were bottom at home and 5-1 away to Sheffield Utd.when we sold tosh we didn't spend the money straight away played woodruff up front with Clark for to long and dropped points if we'd bought warboys straight away might have been a different story

today you will read lots about fatigue, especially surounding european games. back then it didnt cross peoples minds. but during a successful league season we won only one of the 6 games following european games drew 3 lost 2.
in fact our form was poor after the second Madrid game.
who knows maybe Europe cost us points..maybe selling Tosh.
was a memorable season but one it took the best part of 40 years to recover from.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:25 pm

actionman wrote:That was the year we missed out on promotion lost to Watford who were bottom at home and 5-1 away to Sheffield Utd.when we sold tosh we didn't spend the money straight away played woodruff up front with Clark for to long and dropped points if we'd bought warboys straight away might have been a different story

Correct, Warboys was the relacement for tosh but for some insane reason we waited almost TWO months before we brought him in, as you have stated we lost ground and points during that period.