Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Minimum alcohol price

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:28 pm

thomasblue wrote:
jamccfc wrote:All this kerfuffle just to save 43 alkies lives per year. Pathetic. Another nail in the pub trade coffin.

This will have very little effect on the pub trade.
If anything it will help it due to the fact it will bring supermarket prices more in line with pub prices.

It won't bring it in line. Supermarkets pay 0 vat on alcohol. The increase in cost for the pub trade will start at the producers, then to the warehouse/suppliers and then to the pub trade. Supermarketswill be able to sell 1pint equivalent for £1.30 and make a profit. The pub trade can't.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm

thomasblue wrote:
jamccfc wrote:All this kerfuffle just to save 43 alkies lives per year. Pathetic. Another nail in the pub trade coffin.

If anything it will help it due to the fact it will bring supermarket prices more in line with pub prices.

it wont do that either..its aimed at the cheaper brands.,,,and those that buy them { generally people that are not very well off who will continue to drink just have even less to spend on electric,gas,food and clothes than they do now }...more food banks more clothes banks.more deaths through hypothermia then blame the tories..

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:43 pm

jamccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

It won't bring it in line. Supermarkets pay 0 vat on alcohol. The increase in cost for the pub trade will start at the producers, then to the warehouse/suppliers and then to the pub trade. Supermarketswill be able to sell 1pint equivalent for £1.30 and make a profit. The pub trade can't.

The price per unit comes into effect at the retail stage not production stage. It should not effect the price a pub buys it off a brewery just what you can sell it to the public for.
A average 4% pint has around 2.4 units which means the cheapest a bar can sell a pint is £1.40 . Not many bars are anywhere near that cheap anyway. It will effect cheap ciders and wines but regular pints will pretty much be untouched

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:50 pm

dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

it wont do that either..its aimed at the cheaper brands.,,,and those that buy them { generally people that are not very well off who will continue to drink just have even less to spend on electric,gas,food and clothes than they do now }...more food banks more clothes banks.more deaths through hypothermia then blame the tories..

Well maybe these so called lesser well off people need to prioritise a bit better.
Also Im pretty sure this is being suggested by a labour run welsh assembly not a conservative government

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:10 pm

There will still be anti social behaviour by drunks.

There will still be people hospitalised through drunken injuries.

All this will be is a kick in the bollocks for reasonable drinkers like myself and the pub trade of course.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:02 pm

thomasblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Well maybe these so called lesser well off people need to prioritise a bit better.
Also Im pretty sure this is being suggested by a labour run welsh assembly not a conservative government[/quote

and then blame the tories..???????????????????????????????????????????
bloody hell.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 pm

:occasion5:

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:26 am

It will only really effect strong content beers and ciders and multipacks

Average can of lager is 2.2 units therefore around £1.10 on minimum pricing it's £4 for 4 cans in general anyway

As for reducing behaviour etc anyone that thinks 50p a unit will help this is a numpty

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

It won't stop alcoholics just drive them to buy the nasty stuff that's out thier. Youngsters already get tanked up before they come out because of prices.
Pubs are closing all over the place. Welsh government is clueless. Interesting point years ago beer averaged between 2.5 and 4% not the 5 and up it seems to have gone to. It's where our way of drinking comes from you could have a few and be merry not crawling and being sick all over the place.or slumped in corner like today.
I was in the west gate today real ale 5% 6.5 7.5 reduce the strength I say

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 pm

bluewho wrote:It won't stop alcoholics just drive them to buy the nasty stuff that's out thier. Youngsters already get tanked up before they come out because of prices.
Pubs are closing all over the place. Welsh government is clueless. Interesting point years ago beer averaged between 2.5 and 4% not the 5 and up it seems to have gone to. It's where our way of drinking comes from you could have a few and be merry not crawling and being sick all over the place.or slumped in corner like today.
I was in the west gate today real ale 5% 6.5 7.5 reduce the strength I say

its a good point tbh..
trouble is it was out of step with the rest of Europe.the more people travelled the more demand there became for stronger / imported stuff..i think the making it weaker ship has sailed.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 pm

It is a Welsh Government policy. The government is the executive, the Assembly is the legislature.

The Assembly scrutinizes the Bill once proposed.

It is a really simple concept :banghead:

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:26 pm

tcblue wrote:It is a Welsh Government policy. The government is the executive, the Assembly is the legislature.

The Assembly scrutinizes the Bill once proposed.

It is a really simple concept :banghead:

im sure nobody knew that...

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Its back on the agenda then, the Scots have just voted for this...

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm

WAG can do as they please, it is the most complacent government (if yo could call it that) in Britain as Welsh Labour know they are safe are houses. It doesn’t matter what they do, if they get it wrong everyone blames the torries in Wales it’s how it works, this will be no different.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 pm

I think it'll just affect the cheap cider market. The sort thats never seen an apple.
I'm not really a fan of politicians interfering. Need to see some evidence that it'll save lives/money

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 pm

I am a red wine man, so two bottles at £10 and I am shit faced so no worries :occasion5:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Mr Potato wrote:WAG can do as they please, it is the most complacent government (if yo could call it that) in Britain as Welsh Labour know they are safe are houses. It doesn’t matter what they do, if they get it wrong everyone blames the torries in Wales it’s how it works, this will be no different.

Agree with you...

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:20 pm

jamccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

How come supermarkets pay 0 vat?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 am

Mr Potato wrote:WAG can do as they please, it is the most complacent government (if yo could call it that) in Britain as Welsh Labour know they are safe are houses. It doesn’t matter what they do, if they get it wrong everyone blames the torries in Wales it’s how it works, this will be no different.

The way it’s always been. Like the majority of legislation passed by the WA or the fannies in Edinburgh it’s a gimmicky headline grabber that won’t make a single fekk of difference.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Money making scheme

1. Alcoholic walks into a shop looking to buy his usual 20 cans of Stella for the night. f**k, an extra 10 quid, I think i will quit ..... bollox
2. Bunch of kids get someone to buy 40 fosters for an extra 2 pounds each. So they call it a night and head off home to watch emmerdale.... bull shit
3. Politicians line their own pockets while making the general public think they are doing them a favour. Politicians get praised by the fooled and cursed by the wise... corfuckingrect

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:05 am

murphy wrote:There will still be anti social behaviour by drunks.

There will still be people hospitalised through drunken injuries.

All this will be is a kick in the bollocks for reasonable drinkers like myself and the pub trade of course.

It won't do anything for reasonable drinkers or the pub trade.

The only things that it will affect are white ciders like Frosty Jacks where alcohol content is extremely high at extremely low prices and which young people buy simply to get drunk quickly on.

Pints will remain the same prices along with almost all supermarket alcohol.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 pm

It will of course ensure alcoholics are given more tax payer money to ensure they can afford their fix! Meanwhile as a worker I will have to pay more tax to ensure they can drink and be anti social whilst I can no longer afford to drink at all. On what planet do we live whereby those who cannot afford an addiction are given money to feed it?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm

It worries me that people on here seem Trumpian in their refusal to believe facts, research and experts. But hey ho, I'll have a go:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-02-2 ... ew-report/

75% of alcohol in Wales is drunk by just 22% of the population! That is mental and the legislation is aimed at trying to level that number.

Minimum pricing will go a long to help the health service pay for their excess.

If you don't drink every day and from supermarkets, this will not affect you. We just don't know, but it could even help pubs and the landlords that I know (admittedly just 2!) think that this is a good idea.

Trust me, Scotland will be first and we can learn from them. But like children's commissioners, the plastic bag levy and organ donation, the English (UK) Government will also implement this in the next few years.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:Money making scheme

1. Alcoholic walks into a shop looking to buy his usual 20 cans of Stella for the night. f**k, an extra 10 quid, I think i will quit ..... bollox
2. Bunch of kids get someone to buy 40 fosters for an extra 2 pounds each. So they call it a night and head off home to watch emmerdale.... bull shit
3. Politicians line their own pockets while making the general public think they are doing them a favour. Politicians get praised by the fooled and cursed by the wise... corfuckingrect

I can see that you have read the legislation from cover to cover good sir :roll:

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:45 pm

tcblue wrote:It worries me that people on here seem Trumpian in their refusal to believe facts, research and experts. But hey ho, I'll have a go:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-02-2 ... ew-report/

75% of alcohol in Wales is drunk by just 22% of the population! That is mental and the legislation is aimed at trying to level that number.

Minimum pricing will go a long to help the health service pay for their excess.

If you don't drink every day and from supermarkets, this will not affect you. We just don't know, but it could even help pubs and the landlords that I know (admittedly just 2!) think that this is a good idea.

Trust me, Scotland will be first and we can learn from them. But like children's commissioners, the plastic bag levy and organ donation, the English (UK) Government will also implement this in the next few years.

You think you can learn from the SNP :lol: :lol: :lol: