Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Minimum alcohol price

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:13 pm

just read on the beeb that the Welsh assembly are trying to rush through a law with minimum alcohol prices for Wales before they lose the power to do so.
"Sheffield university research suggests that although high-risk drinkers make up only a quarter of people who drink alcohol, they drink 72% of all alcohol consumed and account for 65% of all spending".
So WAG want to punish the 75% of responsible drinkers
where do these people get there ideas from.

Re: Minimum alcohol price

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 pm

The Welsh public voted for these people.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Magners wrote:The Welsh public voted for these people.

They certainly did and I said it mad and costly at the time and for me the biggest ever waste of Tax money to have a Welsh Assembly of dumwits

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Alcohol will be 50p a unit with this law! The aim is to reduce hospital admissions so saving nhs millions of ££££s but as usual its the less well off who suffer, alcoholics will just keep on buying at whatever price and still cost the nhs millions! :roll: wag just trying to justify their existence again! :banghead:

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Alcohol will be 50p a unit with this law! The aim is to reduce hospital admissions so saving nhs millions of ££££s but as usual its the less well off who suffer, alcoholics will just keep on buying at whatever price and still cost the nhs millions! :roll: wag just trying to justify their existence again! :banghead:

Getting a bit of a Nanny state Allan. I think we are going down a slippery slope when the government start dictating supermarket prices, and deciding that we are not capable of making our own decisions on what we should or should not be buying at the shops.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Another really good move by Welsh Labour and all those in the Assembly who made this decision.

Will help reduce anti-social behaviour through alcohol intake - particularly with young people.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 pm

This is the same WAG whose AMs have been done for drink driving and also arrested for fisticuffs after boozing at the taxpayers expense. Its the pissed blind leading the even more pissed blind. I would honestly be stuck for an answer if asked for a single significant thing the WAG has delivered since its formation.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 pm

:occasion5: ;)

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Another really good move by Welsh Labour and all those in the Assembly who made this decision.

Will help reduce anti-social behaviour through alcohol intake - particularly with young people.

Do you really think so. There are plenty of people who take drugs, and they always find a way to get them. Those who drink in excess and cause anti social behaviour will always find a way to get their alcohol as well. Could lead to more shoplifting, theft etc., from those desperate for their fix of alcohol. I doubt this will have much effect on anyone other than those who already drink responsibly. The rest will carry on regardless.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Alcohol will be 50p a unit with this law! The aim is to reduce hospital admissions so saving nhs millions of ££££s but as usual its the less well off who suffer, alcoholics will just keep on buying at whatever price and still cost the nhs millions! :roll: wag just trying to justify their existence again! :banghead:

Getting a bit of a Nanny state Allan. I think we are going down a slippery slope when the government start dictating supermarket prices, and deciding that we are not capable of making our own decisions on what we should or should not be buying at the shops.

Wag is getting that way steve! There is not one part of our lives they are not dictating what we can do? Be it sugar smoking beer the list is endless! Trouble is they think they are world leaders in making such decisions and its encouraging further dictatorship in the name of they know best. :old:

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:50 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Another really good move by Welsh Labour and all those in the Assembly who made this decision.

So putting a couple of £££s on a night out is going to stop alcoholics and Saturday night drinkers drinking less? Will just boost sales in supermarkets! And it wont do diddly squat to lesten trips to A&E or anti social behaviour.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Magners wrote:The Welsh public voted for these people.

im going to vote no to the asembley next time.
when is this democratic bunch giving us the next referendum on it..?
or was it a case of vote no as many times as you like..once you vote yes,thats it forever..

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 pm

been a trend for quite a few years now for young people to drink in groups at home where there are no optics.or drinks measures before heading intothe city already hammered.
dont see that this new tax will do anything except increase this behaviour tbh.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:21 am

I don’t drink but it would be nice to think that I could go to A+E on a Friday or Saturday night and get seen within 24 hours if I hurt myself!! Perhaps it will shorten waiting lists at hospitals too? It could only benefit me really.

It screws a lot of people up and causes all kinds of shit. If you drink sensibly it is only a couple of quid more a week. I back the decision 100% :thumbright:

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:12 am

I can only see this leading to trouble.
Alcohol linked incidents will not decrease due to price. Its the people who irresponsibly buy it/ sell it for them that is the problem. Put the drinking age up to 21. Put more measures in place in nightclubs to stop people getting paraletic.

This will lead to a big crime increase due to theft.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:27 am

young people won't get less drunk they'll just spend more

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:53 am

lyndipops wrote:I don’t drink but it would be nice to think that I could go to A+E on a Friday or Saturday night and get seen within 24 hours if I hurt myself!! Perhaps it will shorten waiting lists at hospitals too? It could only benefit me really.

It screws a lot of people up and causes all kinds of shit. If you drink sensibly it is only a couple of quid more a week. I back the decision 100% :thumbright:

A & E might not have so many drunks, will probably be replaced by mugging victims who have had their money nicked so the usual culprits can buy their booze. ;) I'm afraid people who enjoy partying and and getting sloshed will always find a way to do so. I can see the home brew kits becoming popular again.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am

don't think so.
When I was 18 through to about 21 we just had litres of vodka before we went out.
This doesn't solve any anti social problems.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 am

The only good thing wag have done is free prescriptions.
This minimum pricing is a terrible idea, if it came in I’d simply do a booze run to Bristol across what will be a free Severn bridge.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:31 am

Pidgeofcdf wrote:The only good thing wag have done is free prescriptions.
This minimum pricing is a terrible idea, if it came in I’d simply do a booze run to Bristol across what will be a free Severn bridge.

Good idea :thumbup:

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Do you really think so. There are plenty of people who take drugs, and they always find a way to get them. Those who drink in excess and cause anti social behaviour will always find a way to get their alcohol as well. Could lead to more shoplifting, theft etc., from those desperate for their fix of alcohol. I doubt this will have much effect on anyone other than those who already drink responsibly. The rest will carry on regardless.

true - look at the prices of cigarettes nowadays - people who are addicted and poor will simply eat less, if it comes to that. the government knows that.

what they could do instead is ban or severely restrict advertising of alcohol, which might make a small impact.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:02 am

Hugely short sighted and naive comment I'm afraid. This will do nothing to reduce anti social behaviour at all.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 pm

They did this here in Brisbane Australia so all the youngsters now buy bottles of spirits and neck them at home then turn up in town absolutely twatted.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Sensible drinkers and bar owners are the only ones affected. Meanwhile problem drinkers just hit the spirits more.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:They did this here in Brisbane Australia so all the youngsters now buy bottles of spirits and neck them at home then turn up in town absolutely twatted.

I think most people realise that the proposed inteference from the Welsh government will make little, if any difference as far as anti social behaviour is concerned. As you say, it won't stop them, it may change the way they drink but not the drunken behaviour that follows. Governments have tried similar things in the past for various reasons. It was prohibited in America but that did'nt stop people who wanted to drink, it just drove the production and sales underground. This is yet another one of Cardiff bay's hair brained schemes, and like I said earlier, now may be a good time to get in on the selling of home brew kits.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:42 pm

its only going to affect cheap booze, as its a minimum price per unit, rather than adding 50p per unit

1 can of lager = 1.8 units avr =90p minimum price.
Vodka = 40units per litre= 20 quid minimum price

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:56 pm

rustyblue wrote:its only going to affect cheap booze, as its a minimum price per unit, rather than adding 50p per unit

1 can of lager = 1.8 units avr =90p minimum price.
Vodka = 40units per litre= 20 quid minimum price

i think the point is nobody actually thinks this is going to do what its pretended to do.
its just another revenue stream for the undemocrats down the bay to waste.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

See a guy of about 65 buying 5x 2litre bottles Lidl cider every morning I'm in for the rolls, don't think this will change his routine just make it a lot more expensive.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm

All this kerfuffle just to save 43 alkies lives per year. Pathetic. Another nail in the pub trade coffin.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:19 pm

jamccfc wrote:All this kerfuffle just to save 43 alkies lives per year. Pathetic. Another nail in the pub trade coffin.

This will have very little effect on the pub trade.
If anything it will help it due to the fact it will bring supermarket prices more in line with pub prices.