Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" A big question, should Cardiff City scrap? "

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 am

A big question is should Cardiff City scrap away membership fees and base it on previous history with Cardiff City?......

Most clubs do general sale on away tickets with booking history required.

Is it time City did this as our away following has declined over the years whilst smaller clubs now take more away.

Maybe allowing fans with history of booking would allow more fans to go to away games as of late alot of fans are asking for a membership number to go to games...

Over the years Cardiff had a high percentage of fans going to away games, compared to their low home support.
Now the home support has increased the away support has got less.

Ideas / Opinions to help increase our away support ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " A big question, Should Cardiff City Scrap? "

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 am

Without a doubt, it's just money maker now.

Re: " A big question, should Cardiff City scrap? "

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 am

I loved the days where you could just decide last minute and head off to an away or home game and not worry about memberships or tickets :ayatollah:
The club should issue tickets if your name is on the datebase regardless about having a membership which i think are close to pointless

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:24 am

It's a definite problem and I think has contributed to a reduced away support. Apart from anything else if the club has any beef with a supporter, justified or otherwise, they withold tickets.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:29 am

season ticket holders should get first choice up to 4 days before an away game then open to people on the database if they haven't sold out .

would make life so much easier for people who pick and choose away games and for those that want to go at the last minute .

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:17 am

Hi everyone, not a regular poster, but a very, very regular reader!

As I now live in North Wales, getting down to watch City is very difficult as it is a 10 hour round-trip. That coupled with the fact that I only see my kids on a weekend and for some bizarre reason, they don't like football, I have only seen Cardiff at home twice in the past 5 seasons (Ipswich being one of them :bluescarf: ). Therefore, for me, away matches are by far and away the easiest way of my going to matches. We have been to Hull, Bolton, Wigan, Accrington, Macclesfield, Stoke, etc, in the last few seasons as they are accessible without the kids moaning beyond what my ears (and patience) can cope with!

I will provide myself as an example of someone who has been put off by having to purchase 4 memberships for us to go to the odd match that is reasonably close. I am now in the situation where I have to wait until it is announced as a pay on the day match for me to even entertain going and then organise work around that. Therefore , I would fully advocate getting rid of the ridiculous memberships to purchase away tickets!

Call me plastic if you want - I am quite secure with my commitment to Cardiff City - but a factor for away matches recently as well was the quality of football under managers who I will anonymise for the purpose of this rant. It is quite expensive for a family of four to go to a match (including nearly £20 per round of drinks) only to be bored to tears by the football on offer. As great as the banter between fans is (Manchester City being amazing) it's not quite enough to make me part with my redundancy-threatened pennies.

Cardiff City as a major part of my life and every Saturday is spent with my Dear Lady listening to the match on iFollow. I am getting a little irked by some of the 'real fans' posts by some on this forum as people do have other commitments/reasons for not going to matches. If I lived in Cardiff, we would be Season Ticket holders without a question asked, but I can't. I'm glad that some people are a little more tempered in their views.

So, answer to the question, YES. Scrap it!

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 am

Of course they should its an inderance to fans buying tickets ad hock! ST holders of course have 1st pick until week before game then general sale applies, should increase away support particularly in bigger games :thumbup:

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:A big question is should Cardiff City scrap away membership fees and base it on previous history with Cardiff City?......

Most clubs do general sale on away tickets with booking history required.

Is it time City did this as our away following has declined over the years whilst smaller clubs now take more away.

Maybe allowing fans with history of booking would allow more fans to go to away games as of late alot of fans are asking for a membership number to go to games...

Over the years Cardiff had a high percentage of fans going to away games, compared to their low home support.
Now the home support has increased the away support has got less.

Ideas / Opinions to help increase our away support ?

Allow season ticket holders to buy 2 or 4 tickets

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:43 pm

I think those posting on this thread with problems should write to the club if they get enough complaints they might get the message and reconsider

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:01 pm

No probs with that. The ones that ask for an away number to get tickets prob only do the easy away games I.e bristol, reading etc. As an excile, the membership scheme suits me though. If we get all and sundry travelling away how much more trouble will it cause at away games and extra restrictions being placed on us which we don't really have now.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Think yes, the club should scrap the system. Outdated and too easy to bypass anyway; as we see on here with so many asking for 'loan' of membership numbers! ;)

One of the issues may be that the club (a) are 'seen to do' something, and (b) aren't overly concerned because they don't make money from away crowds :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:31 pm

I asked about this a few weeks ago.

Didn't get a lot of support to be fair.

Maybe at least relax it for a bit.

2 tickets per member/ season ticket holder would make sense.

Apart from maybe the big games

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Lawnmower wrote:I asked about this a few weeks ago.

Tim,

I see it as a money making thing by City.

Because of the 24 away trips only about 5 away games will be all ticket where Memberships are needed, the other 20 away games you can just turn up on the day and pay in.

The prob is as you've said before, many don't know this and so don't bother going.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:20 am

Lawnmower wrote:I asked about this a few weeks ago.

i understand that maybe the club encouraged by the police want to know where the tickets are going.or at least want to be seen as going through the motions of doing that..
i also understand the reluctance of fans to pay 20 quid..with little advatage in buying one.
i think the answer is to encourage membership but make it cheap....£5 with £2 off when buying a home ticket if your a member..should also make the card so that it can be loaded with any games purchased {other clubs do this with success who get much bigger crowds than ourselves}.
really dont see that this would cost the club a great deal short term.and long term if the membership grows { which i think would be likely } and these new members even went to 1 or 2 extra games there night even be a gain..