Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' The Referee '

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:41 pm

' The Referee '

I know the usual people will look at this post thinking I'm only blaming the referee because we lost, but I would have done this post if it finished 1-1, or even if we won.

The first foul of the game by Peltier which was a body check, the referee instantly gets his yellow card out. This was after 1 minute and if this Premiership referee was as good as Neil Warnock says, you would expect him to be consistent. Shortly after, there was a blatant shirt pull to stop us breaking clear, no yellow. In the second half, Ward turns the centre back, runs through on goal and gets pulled back, no yellow. The lack of consistency from this Premiership referee was shocking.

I have no complaints with the sending off, it was a stupid, out of control, two footed lunge which could have seriously injured their player. It was a silly bit of play by Bogle who instead of holding the ball up, tried a fancy flick which lost possession. Bogle then desperately sprinted across the pitch to try to win the ball back and lunged in. It was a shame, because Bogle played very well until then. I like his presence, he's quick, powerful, mobile, works hard, has good movement and held the ball up well against their giant centre backs. I think Bogle definitely has a part to play this season.

The time Bogle got sent off was when the game was getting heated and tackles were flying in. The referee completely lost control of the game during this period. Both teams were putting it about and the tackles were getting worse and worse. Again, a Bristol City player went sliding straight through the back of Bamba and only a foul was given. How could so many blatant fouls by Bristol City go unpunished, yet Peltier gets a yellow with the first foul of the game?

Bristol City's O'Dowda, who's a fine, tricky, talented player, had the whole game to run at Peltier to try to get him a second yellow. O'Dowda was awarded man of the match, but I don't think he would have been as effective if Peltier wasn't playing the whole game on a yellow. Peltier has come up against many a winger of O'Dowda's quality and his streetwise attitude in cleaning the winger out fairly with his no nonsense tough tackling would have limited the damage O'Dowda could have done. Unfortunately, with Peltier on the yellow all game, he couldn't really go into tackles full blooded as he would have risked being sent off.

I'm not too disheartened today. Mendez-Laing going off early was a massive blow, everything went against us but even with 10 men, we threw everything at them and went down fighting. I'm disappointed to lose the game the way we did, with a silly sending off and conceding from a free header from a long throw. But from what I saw today, we are a better team than Bristol City. I think Bristol City know it as well with the way they celebrated after the final whistle. They did a lap of honour as if they had just won a cup final. I'm confident we will beat them at home. Apart from their centre back being banned, that was Bristol City's strongest team. We have several key injuries and the luck will swing the other way later in the season.

The one plus we can take is we now have the international break for all our players to return. We are still towards the top and when Zohore, Gunnarsson, Mendez-Laing, Bennett, Harris, Richards, Camp etc return, we will be looking really good. We have had our injury crisis already this season, other teams will have their injury crisis when we hit the winter months and that's when we can kick on again and put ourselves in a great position.

Re: ' The Referee '

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Good post Tonteg. The Wurzels knew it was going south for them when we equalised just before HT. I think we would have gone on to win if we were not down to 10 men for almost the entire H2. And I discount NML being injured and an incompetent or bias ref in that equation.

I don't like blaming the ref as it's sometimes seen as an excuse but he and his linos were truly shocking today.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Slightly harsh on Bogle, I think it's your perception Tonteg that makes the game the weak sport it is called over all the time.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:Good post Tonteg. The Wurzels knew it was going south for them when we equalised just before HT. I think we would have gone on to win if we were not down to 10 men for almost the entire H2. And I discount NML being injured and an incompetent or bias ref in that equation.

I don't like blaming the ref as it's sometimes seen as an excuse but he and his linos were truly shocking today.

Thanks GrangeEndStar.

My post probably wouldn't have been so long winded if we had drawn or won to be honest, but I still would have posted about the referee. It seemed the ref couldn't wait to get out a card as soon as we committed a foul, but the Bristol City players got away with murder at times. Very frustrating, and Warnock is spot on that Pack should have got sent off - I said at the time that he went over the top of the ball and it was a minimum of a yellow.

With the tackles flying in and the ref losing control at the start of the second half, I think Bogle got carried away. As someone who used to play Welsh league football, I was involved with promotion battles, relegation battles and derbies. When you see tackles flying in around you, sometimes you feel inclined to put in a big tackle yourself to show you're not soft and you're up for the fight. It's about winning personal battles and showing your supremacy and this lifts the rest of your team to battle with you and win the war on the pitch. Bogle got caught up in the moment, he's trying to impress and stay in the team, it was unfortunate, it cost us the game but he's apologised. He seems a good lad, he will put this behind him and he will win games for us in the future.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:18 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Slightly harsh on Bogle, I think it's your perception Tonteg that makes the game the weak sport it is called over all the time.

I'm certainly not faulting Bogle for his effort and desire Dando. I'm actually not disappointed he has a bit of a 'nasty' side in his game. It shows he's a good character, that he isn't soft or going to be easy for any centre back to play against. He's a nuisance who is trying to impress and give his all. I'm sure Warnock will channel Bogle's eagerness in a positive way. He's still young and raw, he will learn from this, bounce back and keep improving for us. But the referee had no option but to send him off on this occasion.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 pm

and not forgetting the foul near the end when their centre back two handed blatantly flattened Ward on the edge of the box.
Absolutely no attempt to go for the ball.

Tomlins free kick narrowly went over the bar.

No body was booked for the foul.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Some pointers today.
Why didn’t we start with the same team that done so well against Ipswich ?
Bogle sending off was very correct and he cost us today
Tomlin should of played from the start.
And also we have Healey to come back as well :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 am

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has appeared to hit out at referee Mike Jones for not issuing a red card to Marlon Pack in his side's 2-1 loss at Bristol City this afternoon.

The Bluebirds were reduced to 10 men at 1-1 with 55 minutes played when Omar Bogle saw red for a tackle on Pack, but Warnock was adamant that Pack should have already have been off the pitch himself for an earlier challenge on Sol Bamba.

"The worst tackle of the game against Sol Bamba should have been a cert [second] yellow against Pack and he has ignored it completely," Warnock told BBC Sport. "I haven't got a clue why he hasn't booked him... he should have been off. They knew he should have been off. That really upset me today.

"I felt we were the better side and felt we dominated the game. But these things sometimes go against you and that's the way it's gone today. They should have a man off on 48 minutes and we've ended up 10 men clambering away and it's disappointing.

"I know it's only 48 minutes and he (Jones) doesn't want to send anyone off then, but that's the rules of the game. He shouldn't be above that, the referee, the ref is there to referee the game."

The result saw Cardiff fall four points behind Championship leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers heading into the international break.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am

Tonteg, I think that is a well balanced post and your main point is the inconsistence of the ref. He was dreadful IMO and I don't think any City fan can say OB didn't deserve the red, but Pack should have had a second yellow for that tackle on Bamba.
All football fans want is a consistent referee and we didn't get one.

It was a very good game with a great first half played by two good teams with an awful referee.

Its a long season ahead and im sure City will be there in the mix at the end.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Some pointers today.

Your pointers:
I think he should have started with the same team as you said. The reason, IMO, is Warnock is too negative at times.
Yes the sending off was correct and he did cost us the game.
Yes Tomlin should have started IMO or at the very least given the second half. - again, too negative.
Healey has done nothing and is still only a prospect. He’ll be lucky to get a game this season if Zohore, Bogle & Ward stay fit.

Also, I’m sick of people moaning and blaming the referee every time we lose. Get over it.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:15 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Your pointers:
I think he should have started with the same team as you said. The reason, IMO, is Warnock is too negative at times.
Yes Tomlin should have started IMO or at the very least given the second half. - again, too negative.
Healey has done nothing and is still only a prospect. He’ll be lucky to get a game this season if Zohore, Bogle & Ward stay fit.

Also, I’m sick of people moaning and blaming the referee every time we lose. Get over it.

on Tuesday we were playing at HOME against a team who had only won 2 out of their previous 6 { winning against Sunderland and Burton } having lost the other 4...i thought {im sure NW did too..A MUST WIN..
yesterday we were away to the club in 4th place who had lost just one in their last 13 lge games { 16 if you include EFL cup }
id be extremely disappointed if we had a manager that didnt view both games a bit differently...yesterday was get a point and hope to pinch a win..
the ref....cost us the game...no complaints about the red..but consistency would have meant that player he fouled wasnt even on the field , he { the ref } bottled the second yellow.
Healey...agree..he might turn out to be great, but at this point even if fully fit would probably not be making the bench if all fit.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:' The Referee '

I know the usual people will look at this post thinking I'm only blaming the referee because we lost, but I would have done this post if it finished 1-1, or even if we won.

The first foul of the game by Peltier which was a body check, the referee instantly gets his yellow card out. This was after 1 minute and if this Premiership referee was as good as Neil Warnock says, you would expect him to be consistent. Shortly after, there was a blatant shirt pull to stop us breaking clear, no yellow. In the second half, Ward turns the centre back, runs through on goal and gets pulled back, no yellow. The lack of consistency from this Premiership referee was shocking.

I have no complaints with the sending off, it was a stupid, out of control, two footed lunge which could have seriously injured their player. It was a silly bit of play by Bogle who instead of holding the ball up, tried a fancy flick which lost possession. Bogle then desperately sprinted across the pitch to try to win the ball back and lunged in. It was a shame, because Bogle played very well until then. I like his presence, he's quick, powerful, mobile, works hard, has good movement and held the ball up well against their giant centre backs. I think Bogle definitely has a part to play this season.

The time Bogle got sent off was when the game was getting heated and tackles were flying in. The referee completely lost control of the game during this period. Both teams were putting it about and the tackles were getting worse and worse. Again, a Bristol City player went sliding straight through the back of Bamba and only a foul was given. How could so many blatant fouls by Bristol City go unpunished, yet Peltier gets a yellow with the first foul of the game?

Bristol City's O'Dowda, who's a fine, tricky, talented player, had the whole game to run at Peltier to try to get him a second yellow. O'Dowda was awarded man of the match, but I don't think he would have been as effective if Peltier wasn't playing the whole game on a yellow. Peltier has come up against many a winger of O'Dowda's quality and his streetwise attitude in cleaning the winger out fairly with his no nonsense tough tackling would have limited the damage O'Dowda could have done. Unfortunately, with Peltier on the yellow all game, he couldn't really go into tackles full blooded as he would have risked being sent off.

I'm not too disheartened today. Mendez-Laing going off early was a massive blow, everything went against us but even with 10 men, we threw everything at them and went down fighting. I'm disappointed to lose the game the way we did, with a silly sending off and conceding from a free header from a long throw. But from what I saw today, we are a better team than Bristol City. I think Bristol City know it as well with the way they celebrated after the final whistle. They did a lap of honour as if they had just won a cup final. I'm confident we will beat them at home. Apart from their centre back being banned, that was Bristol City's strongest team. We have several key injuries and the luck will swing the other way later in the season.

The one plus we can take is we now have the international break for all our players to return. We are still towards the top and when Zohore, Gunnarsson, Mendez-Laing, Bennett, Harris, Richards, Camp etc return, we will be looking really good. We have had our injury crisis already this season, other teams will have their injury crisis when we hit the winter months and that's when we can kick on again and put ourselves in a great position.

Agree with lots of what you say, there is no doubt at all the ref cost us yesterday, Pack should have been sent off the rest is history !!!!

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:' The Referee '

agree with all of this...good post.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 pm

dogfound wrote:

Your pointers:

on Tuesday we were playing at HOME against a team who had only won 2 out of their previous 6 { winning against Sunderland and Burton } having lost the other 4...i thought {im sure NW did too..A MUST WIN..
yesterday we were away to the club in 4th place who had lost just one in their last 13 lge games { 16 if you include EFL cup }
id be extremely disappointed if we had a manager that didnt view both games a bit differently...yesterday was get a point and hope to pinch a win..
the ref....cost us the game...no complaints about the red..but consistency would have meant that player he fouled wasnt even on the field , he { the ref } bottled the second yellow.
Healey...agree..he might turn out to be great, but at this point even if fully fit would probably not be making the bench if all fit.

I’m well aware we were ‘HOME’ on Tuesday and we were away at 4th placed Bristol yesterday but when you have a very skilled, creative player like Tomlin who’s obviously on form there is no need to drop him and give him 6 minutes at the end just because we are AWAY to a half decent team.

Love Warnock but at times both home and away I’d like him to be a bit more positive in his selections and especially his substitutions.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm

dogfound wrote:

Your pointers:

I’m well aware we were ‘HOME’ on Tuesday and we were away at 4th placed Bristol yesterday but when you have a very skilled, creative player like Tomlin who’s obviously on form there is no need to drop him and give him 6 minutes at the end just because we are AWAY to a half decent team.

Love Warnock but at times both home and away I’d like him to be a bit more positive in his selections and especially his substitutions.

The general consensus is tomlin should been on much earlier than he was! City needed creativity and to bring him on with 5mins left was at best stupid at worst pointless but we are not the manager. :laughing6:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:22 pm

dogfound wrote:

Your pointers:

i really dont think we have the quality to be positive all the time.....and stick with what i said about playing an out of form team at home and a very much in form team away being completely different propositions...Tomlin on form is stretching it a bit too...one decent game against a poor team..
i think we are where we are {which is higher than most expected } by our manager being cautious and taking each game and each opponents as completely different challenges..
and am so glad we havent got carried away thinking we are better than what we are after a few wins like the Leeds invincibles did.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Your pointers:

Dont get me wrong Chief I wasn’t having a gonat Warnock just my observation. Yes Thee player should of been sent off. But after Laing went off we lost a lot of our threat. Peltier was getting exposed time after time. But had Bogle not been sent off I feel we would got at least a draw or even won it.
Not a good day at the office but we can’t moan to much as we are third in the table and we can’t win them all. :thumbup: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Baffling seeing the older generation of our fans like Nukes saying it was a clear sending off.. seeing the hard cold blooded tackles back in the day.

The older generation fans have gone weak and really make the game worse for contact.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:20 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Baffling seeing the older generation of our fans like Nukes saying it was a clear sending off.. seeing the hard cold blooded tackles back in the day.

The older generation fans have gone weak and really make the game worse for contact.

There are hard tackles and stupid leg breaking tackles. If you dive in with both feet off the ground with studs showing, you are have a good chance of causing serious injury. Having had my leg broken by an over the top challenge many years ago, I am all for stamping out that sort of play. I am all for good hard fair tackling, but I have'nt seen many people disagree with this particular sending off decision. I agree with Nukes, a clear sending off.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Baffling seeing the older generation of our fans like Nukes saying it was a clear sending off.. seeing the hard cold blooded tackles back in the day.

There are hard tackles and stupid leg breaking tackles. If you dive in with both feet off the ground with studs showing, you are have a good chance of causing serious injury. Having had my leg broken by an over the top challenge many years ago, I am all for stamping out that sort of play. I am all for good hard fair tackling, but I have'nt seen many people disagree with this particular sending off decision. I agree with Nukes, a clear sending off.

Clearly not for all hard fair tackling, football is a contact sport and you will get serious injuries as long as there's contact in the game these things will happen.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Hey older generation :shock: 50 is the new 20 did you know :laughing6: Now yes back in the day it was hard crunching tackles I agree but the new rules says you can’t do that. That’s the way it is. The older generation ain’t gone weak !! We didn’t make up the new rules. It’s the new generation that have done that and under those rules he had to walk.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 am

Just a few points from a Bristol City fans point of view in reply to tonteg. Firstly I thought it was a good game with 2 good teams trying to win the game, so fair play to Cardiff for that. The booking after a couple of minutes was a clear yellow card the fact it was early on is irrelevant however I do agree with you the shirt pull by our player also warranted a yellow as it stopped an attack. I felt we were the much better team in the first half and your goal came from nothing, poor defending by magnusson, we really should have been leading at half time. I personally felt that marlon pack won the ball, looked a good tackle live and I stand by that after watching on ch5, however I'm aware lots don't agree with me, and after giving the foul he was perhaps a little fortunate to stay on. The red card was a disgusting tackle and an easy decision. To say we only had 1 player missing otherwise we were full strength is so wrong it's laughable, why even comment if you don't know? We had our best midfielder Korey smith playing right back as our excellent first choice pisano is out for 3 to 4 months. Joe Bryan was played out of position with the very poor magnusson stepping in at left back Jamie Patterson one of the best attacking midfielder's in the league injured and our record signing diedhiou who has been very good recently also out. And to lose your captain the day before the game meant all the plans went out the window, so 4 first team players out and a completely reshuffled back 4, I'm amazed you didn't cause us more problems. The comment about the lap of honour is ridiculous, players applauding the fans all around the stadium after a great win is surely a good thing? We do it after all games, I take it your players never show any appreciation to the fans then? Anyway looking forward to the return leg next year, thanks for taking tomlin off our hands, more trouble than he's worth and have a nice Christmas/new year.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 am

Being part of the older generation, I’m anything but weak.
I grew up as you say watching the hard (and dirty) tackles in football. I also played Park football for 30 plus years non-stop and believe me the tackling and danger involved was the same if not worse than professional football at times.
Sometimes I cringe at todays namby pamby footballers screaming out loud, throwing themselves to the floor etc etc but football has moved on and is now completely different with a completely different set of rules.
Hence, Bogle deserved to be sent off on Saturday.
Years back it wouldn’t have even been a booking, so not weak it’s just about understanding the modern game and laws.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:22 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Your pointers:

i really dont think we have the quality to be positive all the time.....and stick with what i said about playing an out of form team at home and a very much in form team away being completely different propositions...Tomlin on form is stretching it a bit too...one decent game against a poor team..
i think we are where we are {which is higher than most expected } by our manager being cautious and taking each game and each opponents as completely different challenges..
and am so glad we havent got carried away thinking we are better than what we are after a few wins like the Leeds invincibles did.

I take your point but I still believe we are too negative at times. Yes, Bristol are on form but they are absolutely nothing special and a more positive outlook against teams like this home or away would be beneficial.
There are times when we have to hunker down and grind out games and Warnock excels in this but I don’t believe Bristol are one of those times.
Anyway, here’s to a positive selection against Brentford and 3 home points!
:thumbup:

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Your pointers:

I take your point but I still believe we are too negative at times. Yes, Bristol are on form but they are absolutely nothing special and a more positive outlook against teams like this home or away would be beneficial.
There are times when we have to hunker down and grind out games and Warnock excels in this but I don’t believe Bristol are one of those times.
Anyway, here’s to a positive selection against Brentford and 3 home points!
:thumbup:

ive posted on another thread that Bristol was the last side currently in the top8 we had not played....following this game we now have 15 games against clubs currently in the bottom 16 back to back...lots of opportunity to play Tomlin and be a bit more adventurous and i believe we/he { NW } will be..Warnock did actually say something along those lines a couple of weeks back....i think the next couple of months is going to be lots of games against teams happy with a point and Tomlin will be the player that Warnock will trust to pick them apart..

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Redrobin wrote:Just a few points from a Bristol City fans point of view in reply to tonteg. Firstly I thought it was a good game with 2 good teams trying to win the game, so fair play to Cardiff for that. The booking after a couple of minutes was a clear yellow card the fact it was early on is irrelevant however I do agree with you the shirt pull by our player also warranted a yellow as it stopped an attack. I felt we were the much better team in the first half and your goal came from nothing, poor defending by magnusson, we really should have been leading at half time. I personally felt that marlon pack won the ball, looked a good tackle live and I stand by that after watching on ch5, however I'm aware lots don't agree with me, and after giving the foul he was perhaps a little fortunate to stay on. The red card was a disgusting tackle and an easy decision. To say we only had 1 player missing otherwise we were full strength is so wrong it's laughable, why even comment if you don't know? We had our best midfielder Korey smith playing right back as our excellent first choice pisano is out for 3 to 4 months. Joe Bryan was played out of position with the very poor magnusson stepping in at left back Jamie Patterson one of the best attacking midfielder's in the league injured and our record signing diedhiou who has been very good recently also out. And to lose your captain the day before the game meant all the plans went out the window, so 4 first team players out and a completely reshuffled back 4, I'm amazed you didn't cause us more problems. The comment about the lap of honour is ridiculous, players applauding the fans all around the stadium after a great win is surely a good thing? We do it after all games, I take it your players never show any appreciation to the fans then? Anyway looking forward to the return leg next year, thanks for taking tomlin off our hands, more trouble than he's worth and have a nice Christmas/new year.

not a lap of honour..? yeah ok,your not obsessed by us are you..?..bit strange that Scott Murray image keeps appearing on flags and in your programme 15 years after he scored 2 goals in a mid term game against us {your cup final }..