Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone can take a corner

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Apparently not......

Its gone from a top weapon to a pointless exercise.

We need to find someone (i thought it would be Tomlin) who can deliver a decent ball

Re: Anyone can take a corner

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:35 pm

[quote="llan bluebird"]Apparently not......

Its gone from a top weapon to a pointless exercise.

We need to find someone (i thought it would be Tomlin) who can deliver a decent ball[/quote

Against Ipswich not one threatening corner they were basically lobbed into middle for goalie to collect with ease.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes - the penny hopefully is finally dropping with some people on here as to just how good Whits' deliveries were ;)

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:02 pm

mugsy wrote:Yes - the penny hopefully is finally dropping with some people on here as to just how good Whits' deliveries were ;)

Thought rolls took decent corners but is he
Following orders regarding how kicks are taken? Seems odd that they've deteriorated recently?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Whitts was different gravy but here and now we look useless.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 am

mugsy wrote:Yes - the penny hopefully is finally dropping with some people on here as to just how good Whits' deliveries were ;)

Couldn't beat the first man - next

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

shocked at how many people that watch lots of football come up with this remark tbh.
he did hit the first man more than our corner takers do now...but we also scored a hell of a lot more goals from his corners than we do now ...these are not small dots you have to join,they are planet sized ones..

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm

dogfound wrote:

shocked at how many people that watch lots of football come up with this remark tbh.
he did hit the first man more than our corner takers do now...but we also scored a hell of a lot more goals from his corners than we do now ...these are not small dots you have to join,they are planet sized ones..

Watched Whitts many many times and in my opinion he didn't beat the first man 50% of the time.
Its not acceptable for a professional footballer to do this. I understand the odd ball may get sliced or over hit but putting it on the penalty spot isn't hard.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:22 pm

dogfound wrote:

Watched Whitts many many times and in my opinion he didn't beat the first man 50% of the time.
Its not acceptable for a professional footballer to do this. I understand the odd ball may get sliced or over hit but putting it on the penalty spot isn't hard.

I've seen some great corners taken even in local parks football and with youngsters too.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 pm

dogfound wrote:

yep its really very easy to lob a ball in that arrives just above head height in or around the penalty spot..i can stil do it more often than not and im nearly 60...thats not what a Whitts corner was though..
how did we score from so many. and dont now..?
and why did so many managers { including NW }have him take corners that parks players are better at :o :o :o
and why did so many players big up his corners..
yes i seen plenty of poor ones but the good ones made up for it and 50% is a bit harsh..
its a bit like being critical of a 20 goal striker because some of his misses were aweful while his replacement always hits the target but never scores..

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:25 pm

dogfound wrote:

You do realise there were several well drilled routines ?

The flat near post corner was probably used when they noticed the keeper was standing a little further back because team were petrified of the high back post ball that used to get top goalies flummoxed or the fast inswinger that landed midway on the six yard box.

So not beating the man was part of the chess match. We can go on day about this but it doesn't take away that 16 matches in I can only recall Morrison scoring 1 goal this season from a corner.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

The flat near post corner was probably used when they noticed the keeper was standing a little further back because team were petrified of the high back post ball that used to get top goalies flummoxed or the fast inswinger that landed midway on the six yard box.

So not beating the man was part of the chess match. We can go on day about this but it doesn't take away that 16 matches in I can only recall Morrison scoring 1 goal this season from a corner.

Sorry mate, didn't realise you were ITK with the match tactics :thumbright:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:41 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Really simple.... A few years back i think it would have been the promotion season i took the kids to the vale to watch them train. Malky & Terry Burton had the squad working on the routines for a good 30 mins and it was quite informative looking at the blocking patterns to get someone free. Its not just luck, but you need the ball delivered to the exact spot.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:10 pm

True anyone can take a corner but!! Not everyone can deliver a ball in precisely the right spot or to deliver into dangerous areas, "EG" whitts last min corner against pool in cup, In fact there was several in succession in same spot. :thumbup:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:37 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

you dont have to be to figure this out.you just need to watch.
have we scored goals from balls hit to front post ?...it wasnt by accident..

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 pm

dogfound wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

You both are clearly more knowledgeable than I am :? :clap:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:40 pm

dogfound wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

hmmm..he hits the first man..not one of our others players is shouting at him..?..or our manager.?.the crowd are not booing.?..we get another corner..he gets to take this one too ??????? fast forward a few years different players...a new manager..even some different fans...he hits the 1st man...same reactions...
now is he A our best corner taker only a defender has done really well to stifle a ball hit to front post...or is Whitts the hardest man in the ground and everyone else is scared to stop him taking them or even complain..?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 pm

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

hmmm..he hits the first man..not one of our others players is shouting at him..?..or our manager.?.the crowd are not booing.?..we get another corner..he gets to take this one too ??????? fast forward a few years different players...a new manager..even some different fans...he hits the 1st man...same reactions...
now is he A our best corner taker only a defender has done really well to stifle a ball hit to front post...or is Whitts the hardest man in the ground and everyone else is scared to stop him taking them or even complain..?

Probably the hardest man in the ground I reckon pal

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:58 pm

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Yep, he took risks by firing them in pretty low a lot of the time. Even if 50% of them were blocked (which they weren't !!) the other 50% then gave our big men a real chance of a powerful header on goal rather than a lopped, hopeful header when corner is just aimlessly lofted.

As mentioned above, when the pressure was really on in extra time in the Carling Cup he produced two absolute beleters in a row that eventually ended up in Turner's equaliser. I'll take 50% thanks !!