Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Leeds / Bristol City fans proved me wrong '

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 am

Nick Smith:

We discussed this yesterday. You were allowed to have the tickets and you didn’t sell them,the point is you can't sell your tickets when your given them, see you in Cardiff.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 am

Rangers took 7,000 to a hastily arranged friendly at Ashton Gate a few years ago ;)

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 am

I don't get the constant debate over the how many fans turn up, home or away?

Our support is good, I am not going to even discuss our lack of success overall over the last 50 years.

A lot of the teams we are comparing ourselves with don't have the influence of the following:

1. Significantly more miles to travel to away games (Remember teams like Leeds will still have support all over the country because of their historical success). How many people from Yorkshire do you think travel to their away matches (Home crowds are nothing to shout about)?

2. A lot of people will support Dual codes, and we have 7 Welsh rugby internationals in Cardiff every year (More when it is world cup year).

3. Let's not forget that also the Welsh football team has also had good success recently. How many of our fans also attend these matches, home and away?

4. On top of this there are a number of other top events in Cardiff every year (Boxing etc).

Given the above I think our support more than stands up to a respectable level.

We don't have to justify ourselves to anyone, the above are facts.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:38 am

Really don't understand why you get involved in these sort of arguments. We are in the second tier of championship clubs.

Villa,Leeds & both Sheffield clubs are on their own. Even in L1 these teams were well supported. Cardiff has not had a football club culture in the last 50 years. We can turn out for an occasion but there is no wide loyalty.

We are in the second tranche of clubs with Wolves, Bristol,Derby,forest,Norwich.

We also have geography disadvantages. Our country is almost an isosceles triangle and we live near the extreme westerly base. Cardiff to Reading is further away than Sheffield to Villa.

We were a big club in the lower levels and within football hooligan culture, but thats it. We are no longer in the lower levels and the country does not have a hooligan culture anymore. Yes theres an undercurrent for those looking for it, but nothing like the 80's & 90's.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:46 am

I got involved in this debate, because I belong to 3 groups called Away Days on Fb which have 160,000, 140,000 and 107,000 followers and evey week we get slated big time.

Away Days put pics of many clubs away supports and this week, we were the main topic.
I will go on here and ask why our support has not been that great and try and get in to increase etc :thumbright: :bluebird:

BUT, I won't have other clubs fans slating us, same when I meet other clubs fans, I will Never have a bad word said by other clubs fans against us, thats when I will use every excuse I can to defend our support.

I had used Tan/Rebrand for the last few years,but thats run its course :lol:

As to why I like keep being updated on Clubs Supports, this for me a big part of football and I love this part :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

If it did not interest fans these groups would not have such big followings :thumbright: :bluebird:

Plus, it does interest Football Fans as its one of the biggest subjects brought up in football, even Neil warnock keeps bringing it us :lol: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

If our away support was really good, the usual suspects would not be moaning about us discussing it :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 am

I was there with me son, i will also be at Barnsley and Forest, lets hope we gain some of them from yesterday :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I got to say a crowd debate now and again is a good debate, but down to a few empty seats and who's got the biggest c!!k every week is getting a bit ridiculous. Who gives a s!!t. :wave:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I got involved in this debate, because I belong to 3 groups called Away Days on Fb which have 160,000, 140,000 and 107,000 followers and evey week we get slated big time.

Away Days put pics of many clubs away supports and this week, we were the main topic.
I will go on here and ask why our support has not been that great and try and get in to increase etc :thumbright: :bluebird:

BUT, I won't have other clubs fans slating us, same when I meet other clubs fans, I will Never have a bad word said by other clubs fans against us, thats when I will use every excuse I can to defend our support.

As to why I like keep being updated on Clubs Supports, this for me a big part of football and I love this part :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

If it did not interest fans these groups would not have such big followings :thumbright: :bluebird:

Plus, it does interest Football Fans as its one of the biggest subjects brought up in football, even Neil warnock keeps bringing it us :lol: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

If our away support was really good, the usual suspects would not be moaning about us discussing it :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Annis I admire your passion for the club and the suppport, but let's be honest it's getting a bit tedious. Different eras and different generations. Things have changed. We drank yesterday with Bristol fans and listened to a band before ko, in the ground they were awful home fans especially for a Derby and the later is a shame but am not attacking them all angles because I couldn't give a monkeys. Footballs changed fans have changed. Time to move on. :thumbup:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Cardiff had thousands of youngsters out yesterday, few years time they will have grown up have a bit more cash and the trend will change again. All in cycles. They made some good noise as well :thumbright:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Football has changed in the 50 years I have been a fan. The game is now a giant marketing product, and is aimed at a different type of fan. It was once an out and out working man's game, aimed at all of us and played by people on similar wages to many of those who watched them every Saturday. S Wales is not the most prosperous area around, and cost will play a part given the unemployment situation in the valleys.

It is now too expensive for many, and is played by multi millionaires on obscene wages. Seated stadiums have had a big effect on the atmosphere as well, but it is certainly safer to be a fan today compared to years ago.

I suppose we just have to accept that the sport has now completely changed, on and off the pitch, and our gates will go up and down depending on success. We have never been as big a club as Leeds, but I would say we are at least on a par with Bristol.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I got involved in this debate, because I belong to 3 groups called Away Days on Fb which have 160,000, 140,000 and 107,000 followers and evey week we get slated big time.

Annis I admire your passion for the club and the suppport, but let's be honest it's getting a bit tedious. Different eras and different generations. Things have changed. We drank yesterday with Bristol fans and listened to a band before ko, in the ground they were awful home fans especially for a Derby and the later is a shame but am not attacking them all angles because I couldn't give a monkeys. Footballs changed fans have changed. Time to move on. :thumbup:

Gareth, 100% football has changed, we are not talking about hooliganism, not even mentioned it?
I enjoy myself, chatting and drinking with other fans, Ive been doing this now for many years :thumbright: :bluebird:

Theres nothing to move on about, a picture of our away fans was put up on away days and fans debating it as thousands upon thousands do every week, if you don't like talking about crowds, Gareth its best you move on and the usual suspects , as No one forced you or me to talk about this debate, I am happy to, you are not, so just ignore them :thumbright: :thumbright:

A quick question then Gareth, why do you update me all the time about our ticket sales in pms, if your not interested in the support? ? ?

The truth is, if our support was good, you would all want to talk about it, thats the real truth, it would 24/7 by some. :bluebird: :bluebird:

I know deep down Gareth, your very passionate like me about crowds/support, it just hurts to see ours not good anymore, but if the younger fans keep coming we might just get back up there :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Football has changed in the 50 years I have been a fan. The game is now a giant marketing product, and is aimed at a different type of fan. It was once an out and out working man's game, aimed at all of us and played by people on similar wages to many of those who watched them every Saturday. S Wales is not the most prosperous area around, and cost will play a part given the unemployment situation in the valleys.

It is now too expensive for many, and is played by multi millionaires on obscene wages. Seated stadiums have had a big effect on the atmosphere as well, but it is certainly safer to be a fan today compared to years ago.

I suppose we just have to accept that the sport has now completely changed, on and off the pitch, and our gates will go up and down depending on success. We have never been as big a club as Leeds, but I would say we are at least on a par with Bristol.

I think your right Steve, we are on par more with clubs like Bristol City.

Our home support is better :thumbright: :bluebird: Their away support is better.

But over all we are very similar :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Cardiff had thousands of youngsters out yesterday, few years time they will have grown up have a bit more cash and the trend will change again. All in cycles. They made some good noise as well :thumbright:

Gareth, Well chuffed by that and Ive seen the photos, great for the future :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Keep them coming :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Gareth, 100% football has changed, we are not talking about hooliganism, not even mentioned it?
I enjoy myself, chatting and drinking with other fans, Ive been doing this now for many years :thumbright: :bluebird:

Theres nothing to move on about, a picture of our away fans was put up on away days and fans debating it as thousands upon thousands do every week, if you don't like talking about crowds, Gareth its best you move on and the usual suspects , as No one forced you or me to talk about this debate, I am happy to, you are not, so just ignore them :thumbright: :thumbright:

A quick question then Gareth, why do you update me all the time about our ticket sales in pms, if your not interested in the support? ? ?

The truth is, if our support was good, you would all want to talk about it, thats the real truth, it would 24/7 by some. :bluebird: :bluebird:

I know deep down Gareth, your very passionate like me about crowds/support, it just hurts to see ours not good anymore, but if the younger fans keep coming we might just get back up there :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I never mentioned hooligans once, just the big picture how football has changed. Absolutely I care about what level of support we get and without doubt it excites me when tickets are flying out. Your quite right I should just ignore the comments and constant remarks but as you say am passionate about the club and can't help defending it. :bluebird:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Football has changed in the 50 years I have been a fan. The game is now a giant marketing product, and is aimed at a different type of fan. It was once an out and out working man's game, aimed at all of us and played by people on similar wages to many of those who watched them every Saturday. S Wales is not the most prosperous area around, and cost will play a part given the unemployment situation in the valleys.

I think your right Steve, we are on par more with clubs like Bristol City.

Our home support is better :thumbright: :bluebird: Their away support is better.

But over all we are very similar :thumbright: :bluebird:

This I agree with, thought similar yesterday

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:Cardiff had thousands of youngsters out yesterday, few years time they will have grown up have a bit more cash and the trend will change again. All in cycles. They made some good noise as well :thumbright:

Gareth, Well chuffed by that and Ive seen the photos, great for the future :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

And here I am still posting on the subject!! But it's true, a lot of our fans are middle aged or old and while they make up the numbers for the big ones they aren't your 16-30 age group who usually make up the most numbers for away fans. That will gradually change. I always end on a positive note. Our crowds are way up as is our away following on last season. #progress

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Even if there had been 10,000 Leeds fans they would never have sing the national anthem a good add the 3,100 Cardiff fans did at Bristol.
Fantastic & neck tingling.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:45 pm

This is getting pathetic now.

We took over 3,000 fans away for a midday kick off which is brilliant support, but that still isn't good enough apparently. :roll:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

And here I am still posting on the subject!! But it's true, a lot of our fans are middle aged or old and while they make up the numbers for the big ones they aren't your 16-30 age group who usually make up the most numbers for away fans. That will gradually change. I always end on a positive note. Our crowds are way up as is our away following on last season. #progress

Gareth, Agreed :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:11 pm

barry boy wrote:Even if there had been 10,000 Leeds fans they would never have sing the national anthem a good add the 3,100 Cardiff fans did at Bristol.
Fantastic & neck tingling.

On their day Cardiff fans are up their with the very best in football :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Let’s get this right I bet many of those Leeds fans were Bristol and surrounding area based.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Does any of these thick cnuts understand what has happened to us over the passed few years.

1000's have stopped going.

in my patch, we used to take at least 50 away - now its none

Cardiff has had a lot of damage by events out of the fans control - I'm very impressed by the crowds we have now to be fair.
When soooo many have walked away, never to return.....

Put this on your away days Annis.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:36 pm

eddiep wrote:Does any of these thick cnuts understand what has happened to us over the passed few years.

1000's have stopped going.

in my patch, we used to take at least 50 away - now its none

Cardiff has had a lot of damage by events out of the fans control - I'm very impressed by the crowds we have now to be fair.
When soooo many have walked away, never to return.....

Put this on your away days Annis.

I have :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Reply on FB

Mick Adair (Preston fan):

Decent following today for Cardiff but on the whole for a one team City their support is shite ...

This idiot made me laugh needs to look closer to home. Preston at wembley play off final must of gone in a taxi place was empty.