Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City players you have drunk with '

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm

I’ve been quite lucky in seeing City players out in town quite a bit back in the day. More often than not they were class and well up for a Chat and a drink. The following is my list and my impressions.

Peter Thorne. Absolutely awesome bloke. Wouldn’t let me and my mate buy a drink and was genuinely pleasant to all who spoke to him. Chatted loads and said he loved the City fans.
Graham Kavanagh. Was out with Thorney. Absolute nutter who had loads of party tricks. His Mrs was super strong and was able to pick up my 15 stone mate.
Des Hamilton. Awesome guy. Drank shots with him and taught him loads of City songs which he sang at the top of his voice.
Spencer Prior. Mardy bloke. Moaned about Cardiff fans booing the Royal Family and said he almost walked off the pitch in disgust. To be fair I agreed with him.
Andy Legg. Loves the ladies.
Jason Bowen. Ran into him loads in Walkabout including dressed as a woman when I asked if I could watch him wee. Very funny guys

Gavin Gordon. Rude as f**k.

Andy Jordan. Seemed very hot headed.
Jorn Swinkendorff. Extremely funny and loved singing City songs.

Anyone else had good times or otherwise with City players.

Re: ' Cardiff City players you have drunk with '

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 pm

maccydee wrote:I’ve been quite lucky in seeing City players out in town quite a bit back in the day. More often than not they were class and well up for a Chat and a drink. The following is my list and my impressions.

Peter Thorne. Absolutely awesome bloke. Wouldn’t let me and my mate buy a drink and was genuinely pleasant to all who spoke to him. Chatted loads and said he loved the City fans.
Graham Kavanagh. Was out with Thorney. Absolute nutter who had loads of party tricks. His Mrs was super strong and was able to pick up my 15 stone mate.
Des Hamilton. Awesome guy. Drank shots with him and taught him loads of City songs which he sang at the top of his voice.
Spencer Prior. Mardy bloke. Moaned about Cardiff fans booing the Royal Family and said he almost walked off the pitch in disgust. To be fair I agreed with him.
Jason Bowen. Ran into him loads in Walkabout including dressed as a woman when I asked if I could watch him wee. Very funny guys

no Ledley.?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:50 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:I’ve been quite lucky in seeing City players out in town quite a bit back in the day. More often than not they were class and well up for a Chat and a drink. The following is my list and my impressions.

no Ledley.?

I wish.

We should have signed him when we had the chance.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Steve Derrett used to work for my uncle laying tarmac and I had a drink with him. He once got me into the changing rooms when I was about 15 so I could get all the city player's autographs after training. After his career ended, he was more interested in rugby and coached kids.

Bumped into Bobby Brown, who played for the City in the sixties. He sat in my seat in the White Hart in St Mellons, while I was at the bar. When I politely told him, he said "Sorry, I didn't see your name on it" Cheeky sod !

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 pm

craig bellamy meet him in the ely legion xmas eve years ago he was with west ham aat the time injured said that day if he had the chance he would play for the city true to his word seen ledley loads of time as knew his brother well

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 pm

rhysCCFCemma wrote:craig bellamy meet him in the ely legion xmas eve years ago he was with west ham aat the time injured said that day if he had the chance he would play for the city true to his word seen ledley loads of time as knew his brother well

Definitely should have brought him home.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Peter Whittingham pushed in front of me in a bar in mill lane turned round tweeked my nipples and gave a big grin. How could you be mad at that!
Same night Chris Burke and Joe Ledley were with him. We had lost that day and Burke was unhappy, I remember it was a week before we were due to play the jacks. Said beating the jacks was all that mattered and we did! Ledley was on crutches trying to pull all the women.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Just imagine asking swansea fans who they drunk with .... Only one answer Leighton James :occasion5:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:04 pm

CF14 Blue wrote:Peter Whittingham pushed in front of me in a bar in mill lane turned round tweeked my nipples and gave a big grin. How could you be mad at that!
Same night Chris Burke and Joe Ledley were with him. We had lost that day and Burke was unhappy, I remember it was a week before we were due to play the jacks. Said beating the jacks was all that mattered and we did! Ledley was on crutches trying to pull all the women.

Whitts is a legend

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Had a few slurps with Franny Ford :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:51 am

Terry Boyle in the Heritage pub in New St Mellons many years ago. Good Laugh :thumbup:

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 am

I wouldn't say I had a drink with them, but bumped into and had a chat.

Andy Legg, out in Toulouse last year for the Euros. Obviously had a few, like the rest of us, but was happy to have a chat about his time at Cardiff and have a photo with me and my mates. Nice guy and legend!

Darcy Blake, in Glam, Cardiff a few years back. i didn't recognise him at first as he didn't look in the best shape. Asked him what he was upto these days and he said he's playing for a local team. Went on to say how he threw everything away and wasted his chance at professional level. Sad really. I did tell him that I would never forget him playing against the jacks away, booming down the left, letting rip and hit the post/crossbar. Put a smile on his face.. what a waste :/

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 am

My lad drank shots with Whitts in town a couple of years back can’t remember which bar.

Oh and I drink coffee with Ken Choo!
:laughing6:

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am

93 promotion. After Shrewsbury game Paul Millar, Pike, Neil Matthews and a few others were in the Guildhall Tavern. Brilliant night, Chris Pike was really funny guy, best company too.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 am

Alan Lee used to be great! I've got a great pic of him smoking two cigars somewhere!

Graham Kavanagh was always a good laugh but still on captain duties when he was out. I recall he used to keep everyone in line if anyone was misbehaving!

Gary Croft and Rhys Weston always great wing men if you were in need of a helping hand with the ladies.

Willie Boland was very generous at the bar and always happy to chat.

Steve McPhail was extremely honest. I always remember him being drunk and upset at some abuse he got off the fans once.

Eddie Johnson - an absolute diamond! Always happy to get involved and buy a round!

The worst - Routledge - total misery and never said a word.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:27 am

Ramsey & Chris Gunter a few times.
Went on holiday with them a few years ago to Marbella.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 am

gardner411 wrote:I wouldn't say I had a drink with them, but bumped into and had a chat.

Andy Legg, out in Toulouse last year for the Euros. Obviously had a few, like the rest of us, but was happy to have a chat about his time at Cardiff and have a photo with me and my mates. Nice guy and legend!

Aberbargoed buds. He was too involved with drugs to keep his head screwed on I think!

Darcy Blake, in Glam, Cardiff a few years back. i didn't recognise him at first as he didn't look in the best shape. Asked him what he was upto these days and he said he's playing for a local team. Went on to say how he threw everything away and wasted his chance at professional level. Sad really. I did tell him that I would never forget him playing against the jacks away, booming down the left, letting rip and hit the post/crossbar. Put a smile on his face.. what a waste :/

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 am

Phil Dwyer on loads of occasions....pain in the arse when pissed but a lovely bloke...Don Murray another good guy
used to drink in the Merrie Harriers...told me that when he was in Russia playing Dynamo Tibilsi...he came back to the hotel at night and Jimmy scoular was arguing with 2 big russians in the corridor..and seeing a fellow scot called Don over...and said
Don these 2 are up for trouble....get em...Don took ages talking them around whilst Jimmy went off to bed

Steve Grapes used to live in LLantwit Major..tidy bloke

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Ramsey & Chris Gunter a few times.
Went on holiday with them a few years ago to Marbella.

Also met Bellamy a few times out drinking and I think he's an absolute tool.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 am

gardner411 wrote:I wouldn't say I had a drink with them, but bumped into and had a chat.

its hard to believe that Darcy is still only 28..
should have been part of the EUROs last year with 50 plus caps...it must do his head in what an idiot he has been.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Phil Stant in Aldershot in 1984...Legend

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:03 pm

I once had a drink in the bar after the game at Ninian Park with a well known Cardiff player who was renowned for his hard man image. This was some one who was adored by the fans and feared by the opposition for his no nonsense approach. He was obviously enjoying himself having a drink and a chat with a group of us when this little women came through the door, walked up to him and said in a stern tone "xxxx- we are going!". "OK luv" he replied sheepishly, immediately got up, drink unfinished and followed his wife out of the door.

I will always remember thinking this was the man who was feared by many on the pitch and who feared no one, but could be put in his place just by the look and the tone of voice of his petit wife.

I have withheld his name as I don't want to tarnish his hard man image! On the other hand perhaps it says a lot for him that he could be a hard man on the pitch but didn't carry on like this off it.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Warren feeney, Phil Dwyer, Francis Ford, Wayne Curtis. Martin margetson when we were both underage.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Been in the pub with Phil Dwyer and Jason Perry. And had a drink in Boro with Andy Campbell :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Whittingham - quiet bloke

McCormack - drunk tosser

Earnie - top fella

Entire squad -back in the Astoria night club days,jason psycho Perry for a laugh asked me to go and threaten Charlie Oatway, nearly backfired but all taken in jest.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Darcy Blake is a friend of our family and a top bloke. I last drank with him a few weeks ago underneath the Canton Stand when my younger Brother dragged him down for a game. As he put his ticket in to gain entry, I jokingly asked him if he knew what he was doing. He replied by saying that the last time he was at the stadium he was playing for Wales.

I met Scott Young in a pub in Cardiff City centre and he seemed really nice. I only said “alright Scott” as there’s a fine line between support and stalking and I wanted to stay on the right side of that.

I had a pint with Andy Campbell last November when we were both invited to the Directors box for a game against Huddersfield Town. He was with his family and they were all really down to earth. He did say that they’d just had another Daughter who wasn’t present. He also said he loves coming back to visit Cardiff due to the warm reception he receives. My wife embarrassed me by telling him that he was my hero and that I cried when he fired us to the Championship with “that goal.” The later part maybe true. :oops:

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Was lucky enough to play in Kevs testimonial and went out with them afterwards. Noone was a hell of a laugh, along with Kev, Steve Thompson and Earnie, who i shared a tequila with :occasion5:

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Met Darren purse in Alvor with his family made beeline for us my wife and brother in law sat in front watching elvis impersonator with his son and daughter offered us drinks cause we had bluebird polo shirts on top bloke and lovely family so down to earth wanted to meet next day and have photo with our echo nice thought but declined :bluescarf: :bluescarf: we said enjoy holiday see you next season

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 am

Blanblue wrote:Was lucky enough to play in Kevs testimonial and went out with them afterwards. Noone was a hell of a laugh, along with Kev, Steve Thompson and Earnie, who i shared a tequila with :occasion5:

Awesome dit that.

How did you get to play in that? Great stuff.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Well no city players but did play footy against the king (barry john) and had drink with him! :occasion5: