Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Still No word for Peter Whittingham? '

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Still no word on a potential testimonial for Peter Whittingham?

By Scott Johnson

Thursday 9th November 2017

After 10-and-a-half years service, Whittingham deserved a fanfare and all the trimmings upon leaving. The send-off he deserved.

It is my personal view that us supporters deserved better too, as the lack of clarity surrounding his future overshadowed the final stages of last season.

As he pondered a short-term deal on considerably less money with no guarantee of significant playing time, Whittingham instead opted to drop down a level for a two-year contract and a more senior role at Blackburn.

“I’m not one of those footballers who can train all week and sit and watch a match,” he conceded at the time. “I want to play as many games as possible and I think at this stage of my career, this move will help me to do so.”

A testimonial was proposed, but there has been no mention of it in public since.

Granted, Cardiff will have their mind on other things at present. A surprise charge for promotion being the most obvious consideration.

Nevertheless, even with the logistical nightmare of syncing Cardiff’s calendar with Blackburn’s to find a suitable date, surely something has to be arranged?

Cardiff supporters had to wait a year-and-a-half after Kevin McNaughton parted ways with the club for his testimonial, almost three years after his final game in a Cardiff shirt. Here’s hoping that Whittingham’s swan song will materialise in the foreseeable future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Still No word for Peter Whittingham? '

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

These games should be played while the player is at the club, people lose interest

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Agree that Whittingham deserved a testimonial however also agree the moment has now gone. Think the club just need to learn for next time should it ever happen again after the same thing happened with Mcnaughton.

A player in my opinion never got the real credit he deserved. Too often a scapegoat by fans.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Dobbin wrote:Agree that Whittingham deserved a testimonial however also agree the moment has now gone. Think the club just need to learn for next time should it ever happen again after the same thing happened with Mcnaughton.

A player in my opinion never got the real credit he deserved. Too often a scapegoat by fans.

I'll be anyone's scapegoat for £25kpw, but it does complicate things when a player moves on. That said I'd attend a testimonial for PW if he is granted one.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:34 pm

The boat hasn't sailed. It took the club what two years to do kevs and picked a shit weekend. Disgrace really.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Never understood the purpose of Testimonials considering the wages these players are on, lets not go down the road of loyalty as players go where the money is.....well except Joe Bennett of course who showed admirable qualities in turning down Fulham to stay as he was happy here and his wife was.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Never understood the purpose of Testimonials considering the wages these players are on, lets not go down the road of loyalty as players go where the money is.....well except Joe Bennett of course who showed admirable qualities in turning down Fulham to stay as he was happy here and his wife was.

Spot on, testimonials are finished, simple as that.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Never understood the purpose of Testimonials considering the wages these players are on, lets not go down the road of loyalty as players go where the money is.....well except Joe Bennett of course who showed admirable qualities in turning down Fulham to stay as he was happy here and his wife was.

i am sure Whitts could have run down a contract jumped clubs and made a few more quid..
but anyway.....pretty sure most testimonials these days are more a mark of respect and an opportunity to show appreciation than money making and in a lot of cases the money raised goes to charity.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:19 pm

I disagree - I'd certainly attend if I was able to. An absolute gem of a player for us, and a true gent too.

And I think any money made is nowadays given over to a charity or trust or similar?

I agree with Annis - that double substitution when Warnock didn't even shake his hand was a poor effort - no idea what happened obviously to cause that, but for the fans i.e. the paying public, Peter Whittingham deserved his 30 seconds of recognition from the crowd, and we should have been given the opportunity to recognise his contribution as well.

:bluebird:

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Its probably too late.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeh, that is a fair statement. :bluescarf:

dogfound wrote:

i am sure Whitts could have run down a contract jumped clubs and made a few more quid..
but anyway.....pretty sure most testimonials these days are more a mark of respect and an opportunity to show appreciation than money making and in a lot of cases the money raised goes to charity.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Look forward to this in 2 years time like mcnaughtons.... :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Whitts was with us over ten years. That's a very rare thing these days... And you question his loyalty?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm

For Peter Whittingham, see Kevin McNaughton! :(

Two superb and loyal players treated with utter disrespect by the club. Simply indefensible but time is rolling by and every week means less interest in holding a testimonial to say 'thank you' to a rare stalwart in the modern game! :evil: