CARDIFF CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: CARDIFF CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

Postby maccydee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 am

dogfound wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
dogfound wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Love how people are coming at Ole on this one yet our best centre backs who are still here were signed by Ole.

correct

Yes, he did make 1 or 2 decent signings however he was probably the Worst Manager in the clubs history...we fell apart when he was appointed..we were relegated with a whimper..losing heavily on several occasions to teams around us in the relegation zone, he created a team with no fight, no bottle and no game plan whatsoever

Was then given a massive budget to get us out of the championship and wasted it on( 1 or 2 players apart), probably some of the worst and vastly overpaid garbage players in the clubs history

Complete and utter disaster of a manager, and the record books prove it!!!

tbh i dont think he was the correct manager to bring in.
having said that he takes a lot of blame for things that were not all his fault..
fell apart..?..Malky tried playing in the prem as we had done in the championship.and bar a couple of early results we were piss poor..Norwich away sticks in my mind..the most 1 sided 0-0 ive seen in over a thousand games..spurs home was like attack v defence.. and then we started to suck goals...we might have scaraped up with pullis or maybe even malky but it would have been a thin margin.
the 2nd year..he had to sell arguably his best 4 players { certainly the 4 worth the most and biggest earners } for 26 million .
and after just 7 games {hardly enough time to adjust } he had gone having lost to 3 good teams that would all end up with 78 points or more..
7 games..? Aston Villa had less points after 7 games this season....and Bournemouth who ended up champions had the same points as ourselves when he went...

Fair comment, at the time he was appointed the club was a shambles off the field which obviously didn't help him

However, yes I do think we fell apart after he was appointed Swansea 3 City 0, City 0 Hull 4, City 3 Liverpool 6, City 0 Palace 3,
Sunderland 4 City 0, Newcastle 3 City 0 and a few others were complete hammering against some very, very average teams

im not head of the OGS fan club..but the flaws were all there before he arrived.the squad didnt have enough quality going up and still not enough quality after the summer window ..i watched all bar 2 games that season and we were the better team maybe in 3..had a few results { wins,draws and loses } that could have gone either way but we were generally out of our depth start to finish..
how bad we were can be gauged by where those players careers went...apart from the 4 we sold imediately after relegation from prem ,only marshall has gone on to play a premier league game...

Agree with this. We went up as champions and were miles ahead of Hull and Palace yet both those teams finished comfortably above us the next year having spent far less on new players. We crawled over the line with bore draws losing any momentum then spent really badly. (Cornelius standing out).

Quality managers would have used that promotion year to build a base. Sadly we had an average manager. For his achievement in getting us up I will always be grateful but he is not a good manager. It fell apart just before Xmas and we were only going one way.
maccydee

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

The worst signing probably is Andreas Cornelius simply because of the fee involved and the wages we paid him in return for a handful of awful performances and no goals.

But my personal choice would be Alex Revell who Slade brought in from Rotherham. He was given a fair run of games and consistently proved he was completely out of his depth at Championship level. He was one of those strikers you just knew would-not score, especially when we desperately needed a goal to get back into a game.

To sum him up he could run around a lot but had absolutely no end product.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am

maccydee wrote:
Agree with this. We went up as champions and were miles ahead of Hull and Palace yet both those teams finished comfortably above us the next year having spent far less on new players. We crawled over the line with bore draws losing any momentum then spent really badly. (Cornelius standing out).

Quality managers would have used that promotion year to build a base. Sadly we had an average manager. For his achievement in getting us up I will always be grateful but he is not a good manager. It fell apart just before Xmas and we were only going one way.

Great little post there. I have for a long time believed that our demise in the PL began at the end of the promotion season when we seemed to lose a momentum as you described. OK there was a decent start to the PL (including the Man City game) but again we quickly lost momentum and were relegated without putting up any kind of fight.

I also believe telling the world we had a £25m transfer budget on the night we were promoted was a huge mistake. It led to us signing several duffs because MM was taken in by the snake oil agents out there easily convincing him their 'boy' was the next new Ronaldo .....
Tony Blue Williams

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Regardless of what Ole done, 5 of his 12 signings were on a free in the summer when we went down.. Pilkington, Morrison, Manga, Le Fondre, Burgstaller and Johnson attracted a fee.. I would say Le Fondre was the one that didn't work out compared to the others more than anyone because he was 2 million where the rest was 1 million and under.. at least with Ole's business the fees weren't excessive bar Morrison and Manga which turned out to be worth the money on the longevity and performances.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Regardless of what Ole done, 5 of his 12 signings were on a free in the summer when we went down.. Pilkington, Morrison, Manga, Le Fondre, Burgstaller and Johnson attracted a fee.. I would say Le Fondre was the one that didn't work out compared to the others more than anyone because he was 2 million where the rest was 1 million and under.. at least with Ole's business the fees weren't excessive bar Morrison and Manga which turned out to be worth the money on the longevity and performances.

pretty sure we paid huge fees for morrison and manga
paulh_85

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Regardless of what Ole done, 5 of his 12 signings were on a free in the summer when we went down.. Pilkington, Morrison, Manga, Le Fondre, Burgstaller and Johnson attracted a fee.. I would say Le Fondre was the one that didn't work out compared to the others more than anyone because he was 2 million where the rest was 1 million and under.. at least with Ole's business the fees weren't excessive bar Morrison and Manga which turned out to be worth the money on the longevity and performances.

pretty sure we paid huge fees for morrison and manga

I said weren't excessive bar them two but you can't argue with their contribution and commitment to us when you have people like Cornelius, Caulker, etc.
I will.

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby canton blueboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 pm

You Forget Alan Durban or am I going back to far
canton blueboy

Postby maccydee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Funny how hindsight makes experts of us all. I remember how excited everyone was with Ole’s signings and thought we were sure to go up. Le Fondre was always mentioned on here as a player we should sign.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

canton blueboy wrote:You Forget Alan Durban or am I going back to far

More than 5 years (but you make a great point) :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Re: CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Trimmer44 wrote:Ole? Trollope?

Agree both terrible, but Ole spent a fortune on shit, and almost put us out of business.

Since then good work from Tan, Slade and especially Warnock has brought us back on track !!!

Agree :thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Postby DandoCCFC » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 pm

maccydee wrote:

Funny how hindsight makes experts of us all. I remember how excited everyone was with Ole’s signings and thought we were sure to go up. Le Fondre was always mentioned on here as a player we should sign.

At the end of it all Ole was too expansive in his style and tried to force it the minute he came in and instead of setting up to frustrate teams and I do give him a bit of praise for coming in and actually having a go even if it did cost us relegation.

But he got sacked after 7 games into the new season he picked up 8 points from 21 but people said on here v Norwich home the first half we saw the best football at Cardiff for a long long time.. I think he got sacked unfairly on the back of 2 home defeats against teams that went up?
I will.

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby bluemun » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Cornelius is now a star for Denmark! We should've kept him...Malky was thinking long term.
bluemun

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 am

bluemun wrote:Cornelius is now a star for Denmark! We should've kept him...Malky was thinking long term.

Sick and tired of the MM Haters on here - Who do not respect what the guy done for US AS A CLUB -

What ever would have come of Cornelius we don't know - but what a lot of the CLUELESS CLOWNS ON HERE - DON'T GET -

WAS THIS MM - 1st CHOICE - ASK / OR GIVE ME THE NAME - AS I HAVE THE ANSWER ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby maccydee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:
bluemun wrote:Cornelius is now a star for Denmark! We should've kept him...Malky was thinking long term.

Sick and tired of the MM Haters on here - Who do not respect what the guy done for US AS A CLUB -

What ever would have come of Cornelius we don't know - but what a lot of the CLUELESS CLOWNS ON HERE - DON'T GET -

Who was it and why didn’t he sign him?

Cornelius wasn’t the only expensive flop striker he bought. Great at buying defenders awful at strikers apart from Campbell.
maccydee

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm

maccydee wrote:

Yup - I was bouncing when we signed Le Fondre so the blame can't be put on the manager for that one.
I think he was the worst player we signed based on form ( not the worst signing by the manager ) If that makes sense!
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

Rodriquez wasn't it who ended up at Southampton, even so I don't think it matters no manager is always going to get their first target, quite often not there second or third target. It still doesn't make the signing of Cornelius any better.
2blue2handle

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

Personally I thought MM did a good job in getting us promoted, however, he was a one trick pony on tactics (park the bus) and simply couldn't handle a decent transfer budget and cost this club millions (he admits that himself)

That view doesn't make me a 'MM Hater?' I don't hate the guy I just think some of his values and decisions were questionable and he wasn't right for this club.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

Rodriquez wasn't it who ended up at Southampton, even so I don't think it matters no manager is always going to get their first target, quite often not there second or third target. It still doesn't make the signing of Cornelius any better.

Didn't MM just miss out on Jamie Vardy as well?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I remember we just missed out on him and you might be right but thought it was longer ago around Dave Jones time but thinking about it you might well be right.
2blue2handle

Postby Blue_Barber » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Immers - what a load of waste effort talent money the lot
Blue_Barber

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Immers - what a load of waste effort talent money the lot

Wouldn't say worst but certainly an odd one, the club where damned if they did and damned if they didn't with that singing.
2blue2handle

Postby murphy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:29 am

2blue2handle wrote:

Wouldn't say worst but certainly an odd one, the club where damned if they did and damned if they didn't with that singing.

Immers was a good loan signing but turned out to be a poor permanent signing.
murphy

Postby maccydee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 am

murphy wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Immers was a good loan signing but turned out to be a poor permanent signing.

Which could never have been known. Signing him based on his loan spell was good business.
maccydee

Previous

Return to General Chat