Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

What the opposition journalists who've seen Cardiff really

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

What the opposition journalists who've seen Cardiff City really think about their promotion chances

Cardiff City remain firmly in the hunt for a promotion spot with more than a third of the 2017-18 Championship season gone.

Tuesday 14th November 2017

By Ian Mitchelmore

Brian Dick (Birmingham City) - Birmingham Mail

What were your impressions of Cardiff when Birmingham played them?

When Cardiff turned up at St Andrew's I expected a big, strong, physical side with pace to tear Blues apart up front. Remember this is a Birmingham team coming off the back of a 6-1 hammering at Hull.

I've got to say I was disappointed, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Junior Hoilett fizzled rather than sparkled and Kenneth Zohore got very little change out of the Blues back four.

After Che Adams put Blues ahead I expected a passionate fightback from the Bluebirds - and it was surprising that it didn't really materialise. Blues out-Cardiffed Cardiff on a big night for their new manager.

Did any Cardiff player stand out that day?

Not any of the ones I expected to - and certainly none of the attacking trio I'd heard so much about.

I think the one player to emerge with a modicum of credit was Bruno Ecuele Manga who dealt with what limited attacking threat Blues posed pretty comfortably.

He also cleared what might have been an own goal off his line and looked a very solid Championship defender, particularly given how far he'd had to travel during the preceding international break.

I was happy Aron Gunnarsson stayed on the bench for as long as he did.

Do you think Cardiff are contenders for promotion?

On what I saw at St Andrew's I'd have to say 'No'.

I came away with the impression that if teams are up for the fight they'll be able to stifle Cardiff.

But the body of work this season tells you that with Neil Warnock in charge they have every chance of finishing in the top six and bloodying a few noses along the way.

At this stage I don't think Cardiff will be one of the three who go up purely because of the spending power there is at the top of the division.

Dominic Shaw (Middlesbrough) - Boro Gazette

What were your impressions of Cardiff when Middlesbrough played them?

They were very much what I expected them to be: well drilled, organised and difficult to play against.

It was clear they'd headed for the Riverside with a game-plan and they executed it to perfection, standing firm at the back throughout and then getting their chance when Adama Traore lunged in for that tackle late on and conceded the penalty.

It was a game of few chances but I was still impressed with the front three, particularly Mendez-Laing and Hoilett who were very tricky playing off Ward.

The player who really stood out for me was Sol Bamba. He appeared to be playing as a third centre-half and holding midfielder rolled into one and he was hugely effective.

Every time Boro looked to be in a threatening position, Bamba's foot appeared from nowhere and he cut out the danger. He was very disciplined.

Cardiff City's Sol Bamba (Image: PA)
I recall one moment midway inside the second half when Stewart Downing fizzed a strike in on goal and it came as no surprise to see it was Bamba who got his body in the way to block the danger.

Oh absolutely. I think it would be naive to write Cardiff off and think they'll fall away.

What Huddersfield did last year makes you think twice about expecting any team to run out of steam but I think the likes of Cardiff and Sheffield United have already shown enough this season to show they should be taken seriously.

And then there's the Neil Warnock factor, of course. More than anyone he knows what it takes to get out of this league.

Andy Warren (Ipswich Town) - East Anglian Daily Times

What were your impressions of Cardiff when Ipswich played them?

The win over Ipswich was all very comfortable for Cardiff, really. They never looked like doing anything other than winning although all three goals were the product of some bad defending.

Ipswich were very light in midfield and Cardiff could perhaps have made more of that, but the Bluebirds seem to turn defence into attack very quickly (in the air and on the ground) so midfield was bypassed at times.

Speaking to some Cardiff fans after the game it sounded as if Lee Tomlin had one of his better games this season. I’ve always been impressed by him when I’ve seen him and he always seems to produce something when he plays against Ipswich.

Lee Tomlin impressed for Cardiff City against Ipswich (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
I understand he’s not been very consistent, though, which is something you can always label him with. Aside from him I thought Paterson looked very good. He was one Ipswich were interested in.

I’m not sure if I can see them staying the course at the top of the table but I’m sure they will be there or there abouts for the play-offs.

I know they scored three against Ipswich but these really were the product of bad defending and, without Zohore I’m not sure they have enough goals in them to beat the better sides.

Gregor MacGregor (Bristol City) - Bristol Post

What were your impressions of Cardiff when Bristol City played them?

I was impressed despite the Bluebirds losing at Ashton Gate last weekend. The 2-1 loss could easily have gone a different way, and I wrote after the game that Bristol City had certainly had the breaks in an even contest.

Cardiff looked robust and difficult to break down. They created several decent opportunities despite missing Mendez-Laing (for the main part) and Kenneth Zohore. I was impressed by the athleticism of the side and they dominated many individual duels.

I’m a fan of Junior Hoilett, who cleverly set up Cardiff’s equaliser, of course, while Sol Bamba was unpassable at times and shielded the defence well.

Junior Hoilett of Cardiff City gets past Bobby Reid (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
Lee Peltier did well at the back too. He looked very good defensively if not so great getting forward. Joe Ralls looks a class act too.

Absolutely. I think they’ll bounce back from their recent form and I think they’ll make top six at worst. Automatic promotion can definitely be contended for. Injuries make a difference when the margins are so fine in the Championship.

Of all the teams I’ve watched this season Wolves have impressed me the most, but Cardiff City aren’t too far away from them in my opinion.
Attachments
Bristol-City-v-Cardiff-City-2.jpg
Bristol-City-v-Cardiff-City-2.jpg (27.57 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Post a reply