' CHAMPIONSHIP CLUB IN CRISIS '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Sunderland owner Ellis Short admits his club is "in crisis" - but he has a plan for the future

And he says he is well aware Sunderland fans “want me out”.

He also Says "the new manager will have to do it without big cheques".

“I do understand the fans want me out. The club’s not officially for sale. If there is a legitimate buyer, I’ll have a conversation".

Daily Mirror

November 2017

Sunderland owner Ellis Short admits his club is in “crisis”.

But the US tycoon says he wants Sunderland to finish top seven in the Premier League in the “long term”.

Short admits he took the decision to sack Simon Grayson on Tuesday with the club mired in the Championship relegation zone.

And he says he is well aware Sunderland fans “want me out”.

Attempts to sell up in the summer failed despite serious talks with one potential buyer.

Short also clams he injected more cash into the club in the summer to cover debts.

At the same time Grayson was handed just £1.25m to spend on new players this summer, while Jordan Pickford was sold for £25m.

Short signalled Sunderland’s intention to continue to rebuild on the cheap – saying to many mistakes have been made buying expensive players during his ownership.

In a rare interview, Short said: “We’ve obviously got a bit of a crisis to solve.”

Sunderland have finished in the top half of the top flight three times in the last 60 seasons, and are currently third bottom of the Championship.

However Short said: “This club belongs in the Premier League. After that’s happened, then I’ll go back to what my original goal - we should be trying to finish seventh place every season.

“In a good season, maybe sixth or fifth, in a bad season 10th or 12th.”

But the new manager will have to do it without big cheques.

Short explained Sunderland won’t “repeat all the mistakes we made in the past of paying a lot of money for players which didn’t get us to where we wanted to be.”

Short term he wants the club stabilised and hard to beat.

He added: “I don’t have to explain the horrible start to the season that we’ve had.

“I don’t believe that that squad of players belongs in the bottom three of the Championship.

“Our goalscoring performance is towards the top of the league, but we’ve given away more goals than all but one team.

“That’s just not acceptable. We needed to make the change.

“Simon (Grayson) tried his best but we felt like as badly as things have gone, we needed to try something different.”

On selling up he added: “I was entertaining offers to buy the club. I had hired an advisor to process that. There was one group in advanced discussions. I decided not to do that transaction.

“I’ve got the interests of the club at heart, and I’m not going to do anything that’s not good for the club.

“I do understand the fans want me out. The club’s not officially for sale. If there is a legitimate buyer, I’ll have a conversation.

“It is true I’m not physically at as many games. I’m involved in my business life and my family spending more time in the US.

“But I’m watching, I’m paying attention. I’m involved financially. I put a significant amount of new capital into the club this summer.”
Attachments
Sunderland-v-Burnley-Premier-League.jpg
Sunderland-v-Burnley-Premier-League.jpg (65.34 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat