Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Road closures?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Anyone know what goes on when police close rds due to incidents? Reason ask is m4 closed both ways other day for 10hrs because man hit by several cars, Reason was hit is because he got out of moving taxi? So why shut it for 10hrs when police actually know how he got hit ! Only
Question police needed to know is why got out taxi? It had Nothing to do with weather driving speed ect

Re: Rd closures?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Whenever there's a fatality in a motorway incident it seems that the road will be closed for at least 5 hours and often much longer. Not sure why that has to take so long but it's probably to do with insurance, forensic investigations, recovery of any vehicles involved etc.

Having said that, you're quite right. There is absolutely no reason why it should take hours and hours for the roads to reopen but one only needs to see the way the motorways are closed during the night times to realise that basically the Highways Authority and the police really don't give a shit about the effect that road closures have on the traffic using those roads.

Do you ever see the police trying to manage the traffic disruption caused by road closures? No, they are quite happy just to let the traffic back up for miles without making any attempt to alleviate the congestion.

If we manage to travel back from Barnsley next Tuesday without being diverted miles out of our way due to motorway closures I will be absolutely amazed.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 pm

davids wrote:Whenever there's a fatality in a motorway incident it seems that the road will be closed for at least 5 hours and often much longer. Not sure why that has to take so long but it's probably to do with insurance, forensic investigations, recovery of any vehicles involved etc.

Having said that, you're quite right. There is absolutely no reason why it should take hours and hours for the roads to reopen but one only needs to see the way the motorways are closed during the night times to realise that basically the Highways Authority and the police really don't give a shit about the effect that road closures have on the traffic using those roads.

Do you ever see the police trying to manage the traffic disruption caused by road closures? No, they are quite happy just to let the traffic back up for miles without making any attempt to alleviate the congestion.

If we manage to travel back from Barnsley next Tuesday without being diverted miles out of our way due to motorway closures I will be absolutely amazed.

Can understand when cause is unknown but in this case everything was known except why he got out? This part world is atrocious when accident as police close large stretches of either a40 or a477 with 15mile detour and only two main rds in & out of county. God help us if both closed at same time as alternative rds are so small hgv cannot pass each other! Just seems that modern technology is taking over the work of police and they need to analyse things before they can make a decision ? Not sure what they were analysing other day! But right police not interested in joe publics problems, last week Haverford west was totally gridlocked for 4hrs no one could get to work or school because one rd was closed for someone threatening to jump of bridge. :(

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 am

pembroke allan wrote:
davids wrote:Whenever there's a fatality in a motorway incident it seems that the road will be closed for at least 5 hours and often much longer. Not sure why that has to take so long but it's probably to do with insurance, forensic investigations, recovery of any vehicles involved etc.

Can understand when cause is unknown but in this case everything was known except why he got out? This part world is atrocious when accident as police close large stretches of either a40 or a477 with 15mile detour and only two main rds in & out of county. God help us if both closed at same time as alternative rds are so small hgv cannot pass each other! Just seems that modern technology is taking over the work of police and they need to analyse things before they can make a decision ? Not sure what they were analysing other day! But right police not interested in joe publics problems, last week Haverford west was totally gridlocked for 4hrs no one could get to work or school because one rd was closed for someone threatening to jump of bridge. :(

The reason wasn't clear at first alan so i am told. Was a city fan from Pyle. RIP Tony :bluebird:

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 am

Neath Bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

The reason wasn't clear at first alan so i am told. Was a city fan from Pyle. RIP Tony :bluebird:

Thanks i know its a sad loss to family and need to know what happened, but taking ten hours to establish things is becoming the norm for police now concerning closing rds! Couple years ago they said looking at ways to open rds quicker following m4 at Newport being closed for more than 10hrs after lorry crash! but it seems to be getting worse not better :roll:

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 pm

The reason it took 10 hours apparently they were looking for body parts because a number of cars went over the poor fella. R.i.p tony

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I heard the guy fell out of the taxi, now the only assumption I can make is he was trying to fare dodge after getting into it with the driver and tried to bail, maybe he was drunk but none the less a stupid idea that's caused his death and anguish for his family, you also have to think about the people who have to endure the motorway closures because of what he's done.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Wolfpac wrote:I heard the guy fell out of the taxi, now the only assumption I can make is he was trying to fare dodge after getting into it with the driver and tried to bail, maybe he was drunk but none the less a stupid idea that's caused his death and anguish for his family, you also have to think about the people who have to endure the motorway closures because of what he's done.

I thought taxis locked doors to prevent fare dodging? I know last time i went in one the doors were locked for yhat reason apparently! I wasnt looking at reasons for his demise more fact rd closures are getting longer when suppose to be shorter from what's been said following that crash near Newport several yrs ago that shut m4 for longer than 10hrs!