' UPDATED ' TAX BILL / MONEY RAISED FOR WELSH CLUB

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Gavin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 am

Merthyr Town's call for donations to pay its £5,000 tax bill and save itself from liquidation has been met :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sunday 18th November 2017

Merthyr Town FC players applauded after 13-1 defeat

Welsh non-league outfit Merthyr Town's clarion call for donations to pay an outstanding tax bill has been met by generous supporters.

The fan-owned club asked for help to pay the £5,000 bill after a week which saw them plunged into crisis, losing 80 per cent of their players and being beaten 13-1.

The lion's share of Martyrs players left the club after week dogged by financial turmoil and a mass boardroom walk-out.

But they managed to field a team, the majority of whom were teenagers — including a 15-year-old goalkeeper — for the Evo-Stick Southern Premier League match against Chesham Town, which they lost 13-1.

So after the club crowd-funded for £5,000 to settle an unpaid bill and restore some stability, supporters responded magnificently.

' UPDATED '

Saturday 17th November 2017

IT JUT GETS WORSE FOR MERTHYR TOWN FOOTBALL TODAY :cry:

Final score, lost 13-1 against Chesham Utd :shock: :shock:

Merthyr Town were re-established in 2010 after originally founding in 1934

Evo-Stik Southern Premier League side Merthyr Town say 80% of their squad have quit the club.

It is understood the players have resigned due to financial issues.

"80% of the players have had to leave, but I am still in discussion with some players about staying," manager Gavin Williams said in a statement on the Martyrs' website.

http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/sta ... -williams/

Last night members of the board met with the players to discuss the clubs’ situation.

Friday 17th November 2017

After the meeting manager Gavin Williams met with the players individually.

“80% of the players have had to leave, but I am still in discussion with some players about staying. I am confident we will be able to field a competitive team, but it will take a bit of time.”

“I want to thank the players who have left for their contributions. The commitment and dedication every single player at the club has shown has been first class and they have been very understanding of the situation I have found myself in and acted brilliantly. The boys are gutted for each other, the management team and especially the supporters.”

“It’s a tricky situation we have found ourselves in, but we need to pull together now. We always have great support and we are going to need that now more than ever, which I am very confident will happen after speaking to some of the supporters. We need to create an us against the world mentality.”

“I know supporters are going to want to know as soon as possible what the make-up of the squad is going to be, but I don’t want to release bits and pieces here and there so please bear with me while I continue to work at it. I have been encouraged by the early talks I have had with a number of players and will announce more as soon as I can.”

“Thanks for your patience continued support.”

Gav.
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (9.99 KiB) Viewed 6906 times
Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it.
Gavin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MERTHYR TOWN FC IN CRISIS

Postby Gavin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:31 am

Supporters will be aware there have been a number of resignations from the Merthyr Town FC board, and we would like to update you on the current position.

Lee Rossiter and Anthony Hughes have stepped down as co-opted Members, and Jamie Mack and Robert Parker have tendered their resignations. Jamie will remain in his role as football secretary.

We would like to thank them for their hard work and contributions.

An emergency meeting of owners will be held at Romans on Monday 20 November 2017 at 7.30pm.
Gavin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 am

Bloody hell Gavin, I thought Merthyr were now in a sound/financial situation on and off the pitch :shock: :shock:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Gavin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:Bloody hell Gavin, I thought Merthyr were now in a sound/financial situation on and off the pitch :shock: :shock:

Rumours of a 70 % budget cut, resulting in the majority of players having to leave the club, i think this tweet sums it up Annis

Adam Lewis‏
@lewy100

f**k the weddings, f**k the Sunday dinners, f**k the Xmas parties. Merthyr Town is a football club not a f*cking function hall. You’re a disgrace if what I’ve heard is true @MerthyrTownFC
Gavin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 am

Gavin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Bloody hell Gavin, I thought Merthyr were now in a sound/financial situation on and off the pitch :shock: :shock:

Rumours of a 70 % budget cut, resulting in the majority of players having to leave the club, i think this tweet sums it up Annis

Adam Lewis‏
@lewy100

f**k the weddings, f**k the Sunday dinners, f**k the Xmas parties. Merthyr Town is a football club not a f*cking function hall. You’re a disgrace if what I’ve heard is true @MerthyrTownFC

Gavin, it certainly does :shock:

Last I heard, Merthyr Trust were running the club?

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: " MERTHYR TOWN FC IN CRISIS "

Postby Milkybarkid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 am

Thought they had got their house in order Maybe City and Swansea could give them a few younster Good fit for both and show the lads what football is really like at lower levels Friend of mine was with a few City develooement squad players and one had paid two grand for a pair of shoes and has been nowhere near the first team Get him to Merthyr I say
Milkybarkid

Postby pengamblue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 am

100% agree
pengamblue

Postby Blue_Barber » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:Thought they had got their house in order Maybe City and Swansea could give them a few younster Good fit for both and show the lads what football is really like at lower levels Friend of mine was with a few City develooement squad players and one had paid two grand for a pair of shoes and has been nowhere near the first team Get him to Merthyr I say

Spot on that
Blue_Barber

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:Thought they had got their house in order Maybe City and Swansea could give them a few younster Good fit for both and show the lads what football is really like at lower levels Friend of mine was with a few City develooement squad players and one had paid two grand for a pair of shoes and has been nowhere near the first team Get him to Merthyr I say

Agreed :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Merthyr Town: 80% of squad quit Martyrs over money row

BBC

Evo-Stik Southern Premier League side Merthyr Town say 80% of their squad have quit the club.

"80% of the players have had to leave, but I am still in discussion with some players about staying," manager Gavin Williams said in a statement on the Martyrs' website.

"I am confident we will be able to field a competitive team, but it will take a bit of time."

Chief executive Rob Price and board member Mike Williams left the club in September, while Lee Rossiter and Anthony Hughes have stepped down as co-opted board members.

Jamie Mack and Robert Parker have also tendered their resignations from the Merthyr board, while Anthony Hughes has stood down as vice chairman.

"I know supporters are going to want to know as soon as possible what the make-up of the squad is going to be, but I don't want to release bits and pieces here and there so please bear with me while I continue to work at it," Williams added.

An emergency meeting of Merthyr's owners will be held Monday, 20 November. The club expect to field a youth team in their next fixture.
Attachments
_98795185_cdf_190717_cf_merthyr_v_newport_28.jpg
_98795185_cdf_190717_cf_merthyr_v_newport_28.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 6035 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:08 pm

A proud Valleys football club owned by its fans has been plunged into complete crisis -

Media Wales

Merthyr Town have been plunged into crisis after the majority of their players were released amid claims of major financial problems and boardroom walk-outs at the proud Welsh non-league club.

More than two thirds of the players – including former Swansea youth ace Scott Tancock and ex-Cardiff City striker Stuart Fleetwood – have been told to leave Penydarren Park as the scale of the problems became apparent. It could leave the club struggling to field a senior side in this weekend’s league fixture.

The players were told at a meeting at the ground with club hierarchy on Thursday night, 48 hours after vice-chairman Anthony Hughes walked out – one of four board members to quit in the space of a week. It is thought they have quit over frustrations at not being able to address the concerns that have come to light.

Chairman Meurig Price and former treasurer John Strand remain in place despite criticism over the situation.

A club statement confirmed the resignations with a meeting planned at the redeveloped Valleys home of the Martyrs on Monday, where supporters are keen for more information believing they can help overcome the issues if they are made fully aware of what the club is facing.

Nevertheless, fears have spread among fans, with some claiming the club is facing debts from off-the-field costs that have in turn seen budgets dramatically slashed.

Merthyr are also believed to be facing a tribunal from former CEO Rob Price who is blamed by some for alienating fans at what was only recently regarded as a shining example of a successful supporters-owned club.

But discontent about the running of the club has been rising among regulars since the end of last season when former Wales international Gavin Williams took the club to their highest position since the rebirth of the Martyrs seven years ago, missing out on promotion to the Conference South in a play-off.

Some board members are said to have been unaware of the financial situation of the club until only very recently with off-the-field expenses causing concern.

There is confidence the problems are not insurmountable and revenue can be raised to meet on-the-field costs.

Merthyr Town – the original name of the town’s football team – was born following the financial demise of the old Merthyr Tydfil club who folded in 2010.

Merthyr-born manager Williams is believed to be staying and trying to persuade players to stay on before signing for new clubs.

The ex-West Ham, Ipswich, Bristol City and Yeovil midfielder issued a statement on the club’s website on Friday morning confirming that he had lost “80% of the players” having met with them individually after the news was broken to them by club officials.

There are thoughts Merthyr will have to field effectively a youth team for Saturday’s Southern League Premier clash at Chesham, with players and fans’ only relief coming from the 26 points – seven off the play-offs – already collected giving the chance of avoiding relegation.

The statement read: “80% of the players have had to leave, but I am still in discussion with some players about staying. I am confident we will be able to field a competitive team, but it will take a bit of time.

“I want to thank the players who have left for their contributions. The commitment and dedication every single player at the club has shown has been first class and they have been very understanding of the situation I have found myself in and acted brilliantly. The boys are gutted for each other, the management team and especially the supporters.”

“It’s a tricky situation we have found ourselves in, but we need to pull together now We always have great support and we are going to need that now more than ever, which I am very confident will happen after speaking to some of the supporters. We need to create an us against the world mentality.”

“I know supporters are going to want to know as soon as possible what the make-up of the squad is going to be, but I don’t want to release bits and pieces here and there so please bear with me while I continue to work at it. I have been encouraged by the early talks I have had with a number of players and will announce more as soon as I can.”

Merthyr officials were not available for comment when contacted by WalesOnline but the club have since released the following statement: "With regret due to current financial situation at the club the Board have had to look at making significant savings both on and off the pitch. This will hopefully allow us to survive in the short term and rebuild going forward.

"Cashflow at the club has become extremely tight due to lack of home games since October. All avenues of expenditure are being re-evaluated to protect club going forward.

"Last night members of the board and manager Gavin Williams met with the players. They informed the players there was no choice but to cut the playing budget significantly. This has understandably resulted in many of them deciding to leave.

"We would like to thank every one of them for their contributions to the success on field over the years and wish them well in the future. Gavin Williams is confident he will be able to field a competitive team going forward and he is in discussion with players willing to stay.

"Saturday's game at Chesham will consist of the club’s development players. This will give Gavin time to build a team and give current players time to stay. We ask owners and supporters to be patient whilst we continue to re-evaluate all aspects of the operation. We have 5 home games coming up soon, and ask you to drum up support and attend in numbers.

"If we all pull together we can overcome our difficulties."
Attachments
RJS_ECH_210217_merthyr_044JPG.jpg
RJS_ECH_210217_merthyr_044JPG.jpg (39.8 KiB) Viewed 6015 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebird58 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm

If they have some home matches coming up and they don’t clash with our fixtures, I like to think that a lot of our supporters would make the effort to attend a game or two.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Gareth (Wilts) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Tell them to pay off creditors at 5p in the £. Works for some clubs
RIP Brian Clark & Eddie May
CCFC Legends
Gareth (Wilts)

Postby Sven » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Tell them to pay off creditors at 5p in the £. Works for some clubs

Gareth, it certainly does! ;) :laughing6: :laughing6:

Huge shame for Merthyr; always a good Welsh club! :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Am I dreaming this Annis or did you try and buy the once?
2blue2handle

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 pm

If you read between the lines people are hinting its off field activities that have caused the problem? But surely holding weddings ect ect make money for club not lose money! :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby bluemun » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 pm

As one of many fan-owners of Merthyr I am really saddened by this. I do think problems were caused last season by paying certain officials far too much. There have been many efforts to raise money, but I believe fan-ownership should, and could, be greatly increased, even if people put smaller amounts into the club.
bluemun

Postby Gavin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 am

bluebird58 wrote:If they have some home matches coming up and they don’t clash with our fixtures, I like to think that a lot of our supporters would make the effort to attend a game or two.

this
Gavin

Postby Gavin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Merthyr have had to field a team of youngsters today, losing 9-0 at half time :cry:
Gavin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Gavin wrote:Merthyr have had to field a team of youngsters today, losing 9-0 at half time :cry:

:shock: :shock: :cry:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Gavin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Final score, lost 13-1 against Chesham Utd.
Gavin

Re: ' UPDATED ' IT JUST GETS WORSE FOR WELSH FOOTBALL CLUB

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:02 pm

' MERTHYR TOWN STATEMENT '

@MerthyrTownFC:

Just to clarify there has been a lot said today. No player refused to play with Players offering to play for free but the manager thought it was not fair on them. Their time effort and commitment has always been to the club and they deserve nothing but praise.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Dahboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Gavin wrote:' UPDATED '

Saturday 17th November 2017

IT JUT GETS WORSE FOR MERTHYR TOWN FOOTBALL TODAY :cry:

Final score, lost 13-1 against Chesham Utd :shock: :shock:

http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/sta ... -williams/

Last night members of the board met with the players to discuss the clubs’ situation.

After the meeting manager Gavin Williams met with the players individually.

“80% of the players have had to leave, but I am still in discussion with some players about staying. I am confident we will be able to field a competitive team, but it will take a bit of time.”

“It’s a tricky situation we have found ourselves in, but we need to pull together now. We always have great support and we are going to need that now more than ever, which I am very confident will happen after speaking to some of the supporters. We need to create an us against the world mentality.”

“Thanks for your patience continued support.”

Gav.
13-1 :laughing6:
Dahboy

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Merthyr Town's call for donations to pay its £5,000 tax bill and save itself from liquidation has been met

Sunday 18th November 2017

Merthyr Town FC players applauded after 13-1 defeat

Welsh non-league outfit Merthyr Town's clarion call for donations to pay an outstanding tax bill has been met by generous supporters.

The fan-owned club asked for help to pay the £5,000 bill after a week which saw them plunged into crisis, losing 80 per cent of their players and being beaten 13-1.

The lion's share of Martyrs players left the club after week dogged by financial turmoil and a mass boardroom walk-out.

But they managed to field a team, the majority of whom were teenagers — including a 15-year-old goalkeeper — for the Evo-Stick Southern Premier League match against Chesham Town, which they lost 13-1.

So after the club crowd-funded for £5,000 to settle an unpaid bill and restore some stability, supporters responded magnificently.

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: ' UPDATED ' TAX BILL / MONEY RAISED FOR WELSH CLUB

Postby Blue_Barber » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 am

Tbf when I get paid this week there are a few causes I’d like to donate to and I think this is a worth while one - as long as they get there house in shape and learn a lesson
Blue_Barber

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:If you read between the lines people are hinting its off field activities that have caused the problem? But surely holding weddings ect ect make money for club not lose money! :roll:

Depends on if you pay the VAT attached to providing such services. There seems to be an outstanding £5,000 tax bill which means someone wasn't running the books properly.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:If you read between the lines people are hinting its off field activities that have caused the problem? But surely holding weddings ect ect make money for club not lose money! :roll:

Depends on if you pay the VAT attached to providing such services. There seems to be an outstanding £5,000 tax bill which means someone wasn't running the books properly.

Tony,

I know quite a lot that goes on at Merthyr and its been totally run by the Supporters Trust,they can only blame themselves, Nobody else if their house is not in order.
They wanted to run the club and never welcomed outsiders who wanted to invest unless they were in charge, thats how I found them personally.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Well whoever is in charge should go for incompetence number one bill is always tax man in football terms. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby Bakedalasker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Tony,

I know quite a lot that goes on at Merthyr and its been totally run by the Supporters Trust,they can only blame themselves, Nobody else if their house is not in order.
They wanted to run the club and never welcomed outsiders who wanted to invest unless they were in charge, thats how I found them personally.

Remember you telling me all this Annis.

Looks like time has proved you right.
Bakedalasker

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Tony,

Remember you telling me all this Annis.

Looks like time has proved you right.

Ian,
I had two investors, one a main builder who was going to spend £200,000 revamping their ground to Conference standard. I hd another willing to put £25,000 a month in and I was also contributing.
We were also clearing all their debts first and yet they wanted the same say on the board as us, but were not able to put in anything?

Merthyr Council invested heavily afterwards, spent £200,000 on their pitch etc

The Trust are totally responsible in my opinion on how the club are now in a mess again.

I really have a lot of time for Merthyr and their fans, I look out for every result of theirs and always want them to do well :thumbright: :thumbright:

Forever Blue
Admin

Return to General Chat