Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK: "IT WAS A REALLY DIFFICULT WEEK"

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm

NEIL WARNOCK: "IT WAS A REALLY DIFFICULT WEEK"

Neil Warnock:

"Seven lads were missing from the game today. It was a really difficult week for us to prepare for a game like this but I have to take my hat off to the lads."

Warnock: “Well organised and resolute”

Following Cardiff City’s 2-0 victory over Brentford, Neil Warnock spoke to the gathered press and media at Cardiff City Stadium.

“It was the game that we anticipated,” he began. “Brentford are the best team in the league at the minute. They’re on form and you could see why in stages of the game. So we had to be really well organised and resolute.

“It didn’t help that we had five injuries. Two were also suspended so seven lads were missing from the game today. It was a really difficult week for us to prepare for a game like this but I have to take my hat off to the lads.

"They showed so much character and the three that came off did everything they could. They couldn’t move anymore.

“We said this week in training that we’d be under the cosh and we said we would have to take our chances.”

The City boss highlighted the performances of several key players after the win which saw the Bluebirds maintain pressure on the top two.

“Liam Feeney I thought contributed well and I’m really proud of the lads in general.

"Joe Bennett has not played for weeks and he’s up against probably two of the cleverest lads there is. He’s come out and got a good 90 minutes under his belt.

“Bruno (Ecuele Manga) was playing out of position a little bit at right back. You got Sol (Bamba) intercepting everything and Neil Etheridge making saves.

“I’m pleased for (Danny) Ward too. The applause he got when he came off was thoroughly deserved.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: "IT WAS A REALLY DIFFICULT WEEK"

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Danny Ward was outstanding today.
Worked so hard, held the ball up, lovely interplay, skills and a goal.
Class performance.

Our defence though - chaos. And how many times did they just walk through our midfield. We looked a mess.

How we won that is only down to poor finishing from Brentford.

Anyway onwards to Barnsley with the 3 points.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Hoilet apart our Midfielf today was non existent.

Bryson and Ralls no steel at all chuck Feeney into the equation and no wonder we were over run.

Fingers crossed Gunnarrson and Mendez Laing are fit for Tuesday.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Issue for midfield was in order to prevent them playing it out from the back we had 4 players pressing on. Ward, Feeney, Hoillet and Damour.
Once Brentford passed these then they had a massive overload on Bryson and Ralls.

It certainly led to an open game as plenty of times they got caught out deep in their own half.

Can't blame Ralls ( who was excellent again) or Bryson for that

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 am

Morrison was way off form yesterday. Usually pretty solid.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 am

Lawnmower wrote:Issue for midfield was in order to prevent them playing it out from the back we had 4 players pressing on. Ward, Feeney, Hoillet and Damour.
Once Brentford passed these then they had a massive overload on Bryson and Ralls.

It certainly led to an open game as plenty of times they got caught out deep in their own half.

Can't blame Ralls ( who was excellent again) or Bryson for that

The midfield was chaos yesterday and simply got outplayed due to the high pressing.

Also all of the midfield players were guilty of losing procession far too easily and simply couldn't find a teammate with accuracy. I noted that every time a Brentford player went up for a header he was aware of where his teammates were and headed in that direction. Every header we won was into no man's land and the majority of the time was picked up by a Brentford player.

Bamba had brilliant game in defence but he is being badly let down by Morrison who again was more of a danger to us than Brentford. He really needs to up his concentration levels.