“ SHOCK NAME ON SHORTLIST FOR WALES JOB “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Saturday 18th November 2017

By Neil Moxey

039F6B61-9801-4212-A8B1-31466C3EFC30.jpeg
039F6B61-9801-4212-A8B1-31466C3EFC30.jpeg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 3711 times

Thierry Henry is the shock name on Wales' short-list to replace Chris Coleman.

The Arsenal legend will be under consderation by the Football Association of Wales as they seek a new head coach, following Coleman’s decision to join Championship strugglers Sunderland.

Henry, 40 currently working as a No2 to Belgium boss Roberto Martinez, has ambitions to move into management in the long term.

The Frenchman will have to fight off competition from favourite Ryan Giggs and cult hero Craig Bellamy, who will both be interested in taking on their first front-line role as manager of their national side.

But Henry’s name will be the surprise choice by the suits in Cardiff who have a number of set criteria that must be met.

They are adamant Osian Roberts will stay in his post and that any new man must work with the highly-regarded coach, credited with playing an decisive part in Wales’s success under Coleman.

And they are keen to ensure that the post goes to someone who has passed through the FAW’s pro-licence scheme.

Both Giggs and Bellamy are graduates of the course – but, surprisingly, so too is Henry.

He formed a close relationship with Roberts when he undertook his studies last year and passed with flying colours.

The two have remained in contact and Roberts will have a big say in who takes over from Coleman, who led the Red Dragons to unprecedented success last year.

Wales shocked most pundits by reaching the European Championship semi-finals, before they were beaten by eventual winners Portugal.

Officials in Cardiff will have plenty of time to make the next appointment as Wales are not in action again until March, when they compete in the China Cup.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ SHOCK NAME ON SHORTLIST FOR WALES JOB “

Postby Jasonccfc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 am

Why is Giggs a favourite? I'd rather Slade than him.. :banghead:
Jasonccfc

Postby Dobbin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 am

A genuine question - why is everyone so anti Giggs?

I remember he used to miss a load of friendlies - does it all stem from that.

Mind you I did not want Southgate for England but he is doing ok and has ruffled a few feathers of players that just used to turn up and go through the motions.
Dobbin

Postby ThomasC » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am

Dobbin wrote:A genuine question - why is everyone so anti Giggs?

Mind you I did not want Southgate for England but he is doing ok and has ruffled a few feathers of players that just used to turn up and go through the motions.

He's a bit institutionalised in thought. Biggest crisis he witnessed was prob a mid-table finish in s 20+ year career?
ThomasC

Postby Pulisnewport » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:04 am

If he was or is that talented!!

Why has he not been snapped up by someone before now??
Pulisnewport

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am

Pulisnewport wrote:If he was or is that talented!!

Hasnt he been doing is pro liscence and its not long since he left utd ? What people forget Hughes had no experience before wales job didn't do to bad! Seems choice is a journey man manager like pulis or young manager? Take young manager to help our crop of talented youngsters. :old: :old:
pembroke allan

Postby brickyblue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Giggs or bellemy no experience what so ever why would we make so much progress under coleman to give it to this pair to practice there management skills.
No give it to a worthy manager someone who can move us on not gamble on giggs or bells.
No for me but a number two roll would be ok they been there and done it so a two roll would suite.
But Roberts as two has been brilliant so id rather he stay unless a new man insists on his own staff
brickyblue

Postby Pulisnewport » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Hasnt he been doing is pro liscence and its not long since he left utd ? What people forget Hughes had no experience before wales job didn't do to bad! Seems choice is a journey man manager like pulis or young manager? Take young manager to help our crop of talented youngsters. :old: :old:

He's had a few offers to manage but initially was looking for a top club. Needs to go out and learn his trade and for your info there are thousands of people who have passed their A licences who don't have work.
Pulisnewport

Postby dogfound » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

i dont get...if he was that talented... no one has said he is because he has no track record..
as for why hasnt anyone snapped him up...i presume you mean for jobs that pay between 4 and 20 times as much as Wales pay....im sure if smaller clubs thought they could get him for peanuts they would...snap him up....
dogfound

Postby davids » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm

I think the thing that most people have against him is his inexperience.

Also the fact that if you see him when analysing matches on telly he seems totally clueless. Having said that, Gary Neville is great on telly but couldn't manage for shit.

Also, none of the players from any of Ferguson's teams has gone on to be a great manager. Solskjaer anyone?

Also, he only played for Wales when he chose to preferring to commit himself ONLY to his beloved Man Yoo.

Also, he's a philandering tw*t who was quite happy to shag his brother's wife.
davids

Postby nubbsy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 pm

He's a wet weekend
nubbsy

Postby Mr Shed » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Got no problem with inexperience, I just want someone to come in and move the team forward.

I (like many others) didn't want Coleman at all. But what he has done over the last 4 or 5 years has been amazing. The only fault i can make is that he has brought in the new/young players in about 12 months too late.

I fear a Toshack / post Hughes era may be on the cards unless we use the China tournament to bring these guys through.

Not sure if Bellamy is the man (too aggressive like Keane)
Flynn i love but maybe too old,
Giggs always seems like he'd only take it if there is nothing else around and i'd feel he wouldn't be fully committed. Waiting for a "better" job.

Henry seems a good option or even Robinson.

Whoever it is, needs to come in fast and use the next 10 months to help the new guys settle in.
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

*Insert Name here* BARMY ARMY!!!!!
Mr Shed

Postby valleyrambill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:24 pm

West Brom could sack Pullis soon so there will be no compo to be paid out if Pullis is sacked he has to be favourite
and bellamy as he number 1 please not Giggs a great player but clearly hasn't got the welsh pride we need
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby dogfound » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Mr Shed wrote:Got no problem with inexperience, I just want someone to come in and move the team forward.

I (like many others) didn't want Coleman at all. But what he has done over the last 4 or 5 years has been amazing. The only fault i can make is that he has brought in the new/young players in about 12 months too late.

I fear a Toshack / post Hughes era may be on the cards unless we use the China tournament to bring these guys through.

Not sure if Bellamy is the man (too aggressive like Keane)
Flynn i love but maybe too old,
Giggs always seems like he'd only take it if there is nothing else around and i'd feel he wouldn't be fully committed. Waiting for a "better" job.

Henry seems a good option or even Robinson.

Whoever it is, needs to come in fast and use the next 10 months to help the new guys settle in.

agree with a lot of this but dont see an ounce of difference between Henry and Giggs when it comes to a better job coming along...other than one played for Wales in 17 consectutive years and the other visted Wales once.
dogfound

Return to General Chat